PDA

View Full Version : vase tool

hughie
28th December 2006, 10:06 PM
Hi,

Just put the finishing touches to a new vase tool.Its a variation of a Bruce Leadbetter design.

I placed a removable/rotate-able tungsten carbide cutter and a heavy duty clamp for a thickness gauge mounting. The original design had a fixed HSS tip

The need arose out of a consignment of African Mahogany from SawDustSniffer. Ta muchly :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th December 2006, 10:29 PM
Cheat! :D

It takes all the fun out of it. "Whoops, I didn't want to seperate it there!" :;

TTIT
29th December 2006, 12:45 AM
I can see we're gonna have to get you a better camera lad! :C How are we supposed to copy these things with out more detail eh! :roll: :D How does the gauge work Hughie? - I've only seen the laser arrangement like Al set up!

ss_11000
29th December 2006, 11:25 AM
:blond:i cant see how it works:B . i'm confused:giveup3:

OGYT
29th December 2006, 05:27 PM
Hi,
I placed a removable/rotate-able tungsten carbide cutter and a heavy duty clamp for a thickness gauge mounting. The original design had a fixed HSS tip
<</p>Another good one me thinks, Hughie. Be right hard to beat that Munro tool you made, though!!Do you ever have time to spin anything???

SawDustSniffer
29th December 2006, 07:26 PM
ill ave to make me one of those , good idear hugie ,

good to see the mohogany going to good use , i would have just left it in the shed for 2 years :? ,no i couldnt resist spinning a green peace eather
was going to offer to nuke a scrap peace and see how it checked but i dont have a microwave ,my wine cooler ( 10mm-15mm on sides and 25mm on the bottom ) has only slightly checked on the 25mm bottom after 3 weeks ,i fill the cracks with wax ,but thats in high humidity ( wet season )
may the drying god's be with you

rodent
30th December 2006, 04:27 AM
you going too use a piece of milk bottle IE plastic for the thickness feeler ? or like leadbetter a piece of curtain spring , ps put the tool on a white base and re take the photo.

hughie
30th December 2006, 07:15 AM
Sorry for the poor quality. I have a few problems up loading pics, I had to diminish them to a size thats no good..:aargh: must be the holiday traffic
Secondly I am using IE7 and I am starting to think its a lemon :aargh: :C :~ MS bloatware
Changed my method of reduction, it seems to be working ok

Rodent
Depth gauge, what showing is a bit of TIG welding wire, most likely go for the plastic bottle or curtain spring if I can find a piece, as you suggest.

SawDustSniffer,
I was gonna rough em out them either do the water, or soap treatment.

Al,
No worries, this is the lull after Christmas. Churned out quite a few for the festive season.
Gotta pay my dues, the next one is for SWMBO...........likes flowers..dry arrangement I hope

SS1100, hope this helps, sorry for the confusion :D Its a simple tool that make life much easier.

Material is S.S. 316L, 20mm [3/4"] for the main bar and 13mm [1/2"] for the lesser. M8 holding screw to get max clamping pressure, as these things have a tendancy to move. Depth gauge screw is m6.[1/4"]
Max depth achieveable is about 230mm [9"] which is about all I need for the moment. Although I am contemplating a much larger one from 25mm [1"] bar, with a max depth of 400mm [16"] Dunno if the old MC1100 can handle it tho'.
They are not that difficult to make if you have access to a welder and a vice for bending. I do all my cutting with a 100mm [4"] grinder and a thin blade, even the half shaft for mounting the cutter etc. Then tidy up with a file and finally buff em with a medium clean up buff. It looks like a oversize Scotch Brite pad it generally takes all the welding stains and smooths over the welds etc.

QbnDusty
30th December 2006, 06:03 PM
:roll::roll: For Hughie.
A great tool, what I have always wanted. Your last pics really showed how it is used. Now have to either buy myself a welder, (learning curve) or find a friendly engineering company. That might be difficult as the last time I wanted a 6mm steel sanding disc on a No 1 Morse taper they wanted $300.
Probably cheaper to buy a welder.
Many thanks for the idea.
Regards

TTIT
31st December 2006, 01:43 AM
Massive improvement with the pics Hughie.:D Now I can see what I need. Some She-oak burl has convinced me I need something that will hold an edge better than HSS too - are you happy with the carbide tips????

SawDustSniffer
31st December 2006, 02:01 AM
there great as scrapers , never had to sharpen one yet ,other than to change its shape

hughie
1st January 2007, 09:53 AM
.:D Now I can see what I need. Some She-oak burl has convinced me I need something that will hold an edge better than HSS too - are you happy with the carbide tips????
[/QUOTE]

Vern,
You 'l never get the fine razor edge. But as a roughing tool very good, especially on green timber. I have made a lot of them over the years for various wood turners, never had one come back.
Funny that and I only got back into turning just recently :?

I am looking at put a slight hook or positive rake to the top of the tip just using the dia of the grinding wheel.

The good thing is if you've got any contacts in a machine shop they will throw kgs of used ones at you. If you get the yellow ones you'll have to grind the yellow coating off before the silver solder will stick. I got plenty if your stuck for some.

OGYT
1st January 2007, 02:08 PM
I am looking at put a slight hook or positive rake to the top of the tip just using the dia of the grinding wheel. [quote]

Hughie, I wonder what you mean by this... hook or rake... :? Do you mean to grind a slant onto the top of the toolbit?
Second thing, I'm not sure how the little wire with the circle works. Is it spring steel, and pops up level when you're at thickness?

If I wasn't sittin' in this chair, I'd be kickin' rocks... 'cause I can't figure this thing out. :no:

rsser
1st January 2007, 06:33 PM
Inspirational Hughie.

hughie
1st January 2007, 08:22 PM
I wonder what you mean by this... hook or rake... :? Do you mean to grind a slant onto the top of the toolbit?

Al, No worries, the first pics were shockers :o :D

I'll give it a go...OK, a slant yes, away from the cutting edge. But instead of grinding it flat, use the dia of the wheel to grind a slight radius. In my case a 3" radius cos I got a 6" wheel.
This is about all the positive rake I want to try at 200mm [8"] from the tool rest :o :U In angle terms around 2-3 degrees at a guess

Second thing, I'm not sure how the little wire with the circle works. Is it spring steel, and pops up level when you're at thickness?

The little wire is a you suppose. You just set it out from the cutter the distance you want and as it stops jiggling up and down your there. Its supposed to be spring steel [ I used stainless as an example ] but any bendy thing will do. ie plastic bottle cut into strips will do just fine.

Glad your Munro is working fine, was a bit concerned with the silence :D

OGYT
2nd January 2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the explanations, Hughie, I'm kinda slow sometimes. :? :(

Glad your Munro is working fine, was a bit concerned with the silence :D

Apologies for the long wait. Been workin' on that hollower and refinin' it changin' light setups, remounting the nuts for the setscrews, etc. ad nauseum....:~

That Munro is awesome! :2tsup: Works almost too fast on wood that's not sloppy wet (which I am prone to turn sometimes), but not real dry. Digs as deep as I want it to, if I adjust the little gizmo properly. It sure can speed up the time to hollow a piece. :D
I think you did an exceptional job on it, and it's given me inspiration to remake a sloppy, earlier, attempt at makin' a flat on the end of a 3/4" shaft for a teardrop scraper. Got some other ideas, too, but they sure would interfere with the turnin' time.
BTW, the chuck began it's flight Friday morn. Should get there in a little over a week....???? Hope the Bois d'Arc mounting doesn't stop it at customs, but don't think there's danger there.

hughie
3rd January 2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the explanations, Hughie, I'm kinda slow sometimes. :? :(

Al,
Nah! its not so easy to write an accurate description of how to go about something. Makes sense to me but then I made the darn thing :D

The trick is to write in such away as to simply convey the idea with details...there in lies the snag. :doh: doh! :D :U

BTW, the chuck began it's flight Friday morn. Should get there in a little over a week....???? Hope the Bois d'Arc mounting doesn't stop it at customs, but don't think there's danger there.
[/quote]

No worries, I'll expect it when I see it. :U

The Munro loves green timber, dry hardwood it tends to bounce...:o :~ :U

SawDustSniffer
4th January 2007, 07:11 PM
got sick of work today so split at lunch time ( boss is on holidays LOL) went in the shed and made my self a Munro , 350mm deep with 50mm bend ,
made out of 18mm carbon steel rod , it has a 18x18mm carbide tip and a spring fixed with a tapped bolt and washer , just have to make a handle for it now , was gonna use that jarra one but its a bit small

will make a 350mm straight bar scraper and 350mm deep , 75mm bend ,munro when i get round to it

rsser
5th January 2007, 07:59 AM
Just a btw, this is not exactly a Munro hollower is it?

hughie
5th January 2007, 10:49 AM
Just a btw, this is not exactly a Munro hollower is it?

Ern,
True the reference to Munro was about the one I made and sent to Al in Texas some time ago.

The pics I posted are a modified Bruce Leadbetter hollower. Some how they have all got caught up together. In hind sight, I should have pm'd him rather than add it to this thread.

sorry for the confusion.

rsser
5th January 2007, 11:19 AM
No probs Hughie.

I'm still waiting for the Munro mini hollower. Big backlog apparently.