PDA

View Full Version : End sealer in Canberra

Doogster
30th December 2006, 01:42 PM
Hi chaps

Does anyone know anywhere in Canberra that sells end sealer? I've tried Carba-Tec, but they don't sell it.

Cheers. Doug

DavidG
30th December 2006, 02:16 PM
The Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au/)guild sells small quantities to its members.
My last drum (20 litre) came from Caltex depot)

SawDustSniffer
30th December 2006, 02:27 PM
local petrol station sells part A for $1.20 a lt and Pollystiren foam ( that white pacaging foam ) is part B , mix the to to gether and you have end grain sealer ( plastic )
that would be for Drying blanks not for finnishing

rodent
4th January 2007, 10:17 AM
try your mobil depo what you want is a mobil product ask skew he will tell you its proper name

Gil Jones
4th January 2007, 02:25 PM
I do not know how well this would work as an end grain sealer, but here you are (maybe a chemist could tell you if paraffin wax [petroleum base]could be used in place of Candelilla wax and Carnauba wax [vegetable base]). The result sounds as though it "looks" like Anchorseal. http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/CandelillaWax.html
==========================================
Emulsified Wax formula:

George Frank's formula for emulsified wax is an excellent decorative patinating wax especially for limed or whitewashed surfaces.

Melt in a double boiler:
(Suggest a hotplate outdoors to avoid fire danger!)
4 ounces of Candelilla wax flake,
4 ounces of Carnauba wax flake,
and 61/2 ounces of Stearic Acid.

In a separate glass, earthenware,
or enameled container add:
1 ounce (liquid) of Triethanolamine (for emulsification)
to 31/2 quarts of boiling water*.
(*If your water is high in minerals, use distilled water or rain water)

Now; pour the melted wax mixture into the water; begin stirring with a wooden paddle as soon as you finish pouring. Continue stirring until the mixture cools and has the consistency of heavy cream.

Penpal
4th January 2007, 05:40 PM
I live in Canberra and CarbaTec does have Sealer in 1 Litre tins,has had for some time they have been closed for a few days and reopen on Monday the 8th January.
Peter

ribot
5th January 2007, 07:01 PM
WARNING
At an OH & S night with the SES (government tutors)
Whilst chewing the fat over safety I discovered that pouring perto chemicals on poly styrene gives of toxic fumes.
I have done this in the past but now am twice as weary as to how I go about it.
Judge for yourself.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th January 2007, 07:26 PM
try your mobil depo what you want is a mobil product ask skew he will tell you its proper name

You mean Mobilcer? They don't make Mobilcer-M anymore... it's Mobilcer 195 now. (?? I think) I'm not sure if they've actually changed it's constituents or whether it's just some bored bloke in admin getting his jollies. :rolleyes:

MajorPanic
5th January 2007, 07:45 PM
Buy End Grain Sealer anywhere in Australia!!!

Visit your local Mobil distributor & order some.... easy eh?