PDA

View Full Version : New Member ... Introduction (with a few pics)

Old Arn
31st December 2006, 04:34 PM
Hello ... Great forum ya all have here ... I've been a lurker for a while and figured it was time to introduce myself.

My name is Shane and Im an Old Arn (iron) addict:C . I love fixing up old woodworking machines and hand tools. My latest restoration is a 1936 Walker Turner LS540 Lathe. Usually I fix em up and upgrade by selling them off but this one I think I will keep :U

The first pic is how the lathe looked when I bought it.
The second is what it looks like now.

I used to do a lot of turning when I was young but haven't done any for many years so I am basically starting over and Im sure I will have lots of questions for ya all.

The old WT was in pretty bad shape when I got it, covered in rust and the bearings where shot. I stripped it down to bare metal and gave it a new paint job, replaced the bearings and built a stand for it. The stand is made from 100+ year old Oak and hidden under the table top I have about 260 pound worth or railroad rail. I also made a jack shaft for it to give me 16 speeds to choose from between 300 and 9000 rpms. Its very quiet and runs real smooth. :2tsup:

I am still looking for an original tool rest so until I find one I am using the one I just made out of Walnut and brass. (3rd pic) It does a nice job and if the brass gets nicked I can just file it down or replace the brass insert.

Like I said, its been a while since I have done any turning, however I did manage to make a knock-out tool today (4th pic) but I have a lot of practicing before I start turning bowls. I ordered a Nova Precision Midi Chuck which will hopefully be here soon :U

If ya wanna see more pics of the restoration you can see them by clicking HERE (http://www.pbase.com/shaner/walker_turner_lathe)

Dang ... didn't mean to make this post so long.

I look forward to reading your comments and hopefully becoming an active member of this site.

Thanks for reading ... and have a Happy New Year,

Simomatra
31st December 2006, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Shane

Bloody nice job u have done there

ticklingmedusa
31st December 2006, 07:10 PM
she is a beauty
welcome

lubbing5cherubs
31st December 2006, 07:40 PM
Very talented skill. I don't think I part with her either. Beautiful work there
Toni

jchappo
31st December 2006, 07:44 PM
Beautiful bench ... did you work from a plan?
I am just about to build a bench for my lathe, and yours is really inspiring.

If there is a plan available, I would appreciate a copy.

Oh, and welcome to the forum:)

lubbing5cherubs
31st December 2006, 08:37 PM
Hey John is this for the Leda still on her temporary bench??
Toni

BernieP
31st December 2006, 09:05 PM
G'Day Shane

Very nice, welcome aboard

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st December 2006, 09:12 PM
I need a bloke like you nearby to go into partnership with.

He could restore the old'n'battered machines into works of art while I'd be turning his works of art into old'n... :- At least I'd keep him busy! :D

soundman
31st December 2006, 10:10 PM
Nice job:2tsup:

BUT 9000 rpm:oo: :o holy snappin duck $##& Batman what are you going to spin that fast.

cheers

ss_11000
31st December 2006, 10:36 PM
welcome shane to the forum, hope you stick around because the stuff you do looks very interesting :cool:.
the lathe looks cool, the bench is awesome and so is the toolrest and knock out bar.

cheers

Wayne Blanch
31st December 2006, 10:55 PM
Welcome to the madhouse Shane.:U
That is magnificent work you've done there:2tsup:
See ya
Wayne

Boxinator
1st January 2007, 02:07 AM
Shane I love your set up there. Very nice and you did a great resto job on the lathe. Beautiful stand as well!

Corey

rodent
1st January 2007, 02:07 AM
Just what i wanted for christmas oh well theres always next year.

Old Arn
1st January 2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks for Welcomes and the comments everyone, I appreciate them.

Beautiful bench ... did you work from a plan?
Thanks jchappo ... Sorry, no plans, just made the bench to fit the lathe out of whatever materials I had kicking around the shop.

Have a great day,

hughie
1st January 2007, 10:11 AM
Shane,

Welcome to Woodies Anonymous. :oo: :D We all know we can get counselling but prefer to stay this way.

If your talents for restoration are any indication of your turning, your gonna go to the top of the class.

jchappo
1st January 2007, 02:08 PM
Hey John is this for the Leda still on her temporary bench??
Toni

That's right Toni :B

Stand is getting desperate now I have the extension bed - it takes up the full length of my workbench. :oo::oo:

Have re-arranged my garage (just sold my trailer and bought a bandsaw) and have space allocated for the lathe so I am looking for good ideas.

K_S
1st January 2007, 07:21 PM
Welcome Shane, your website sure is impressive.

Keith S

Poloris
1st January 2007, 09:21 PM
That is a very impressive restoration Old Arn.

The jack shaft modification raised my curiosity, 16 speeds from 4 WOW!
I'm designing a stand for my own lathe, now I will be revising my plans once again.

I assume you will fit guards over those belts, reaching around the headstock with calipers in your left hand whilst thicknessing would be out of the question without them.

Love it Poloris

Little Festo
1st January 2007, 09:32 PM
Shane,

Nice job, attention to detail is outstanding

Peter

Old Arn
2nd January 2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks again for the great comments :U

I assume you will fit guards over those belts...
Thanks Poloris ... Yes I have a sheet of brass kicking around the shop, it should be easy enough to make a guard out of it.

Happy New Years,

OGYT
2nd January 2007, 10:20 AM
Some awesome work, Shane. Nice style and attitude, too. Welcome to the forum. All these folks from OZ are alright! ...and from Tas... ...and anyplace else I've neglected to mention.... (They're also very sensitive... shhh!) :o)
Just jokin'... this is where you'll be spendin' most of your time, 'less you're careful... a person does need to get in some shed time, ya know. :o)

hughie
2nd January 2007, 12:09 PM
. ...and anyplace else I've neglected to mention.... (They're also very sensitive... shhh!) :o)

I heard that! grrrrh :~

your not taking the 'proverbial' out of us are you :U

:D :D :D :D

TTIT
2nd January 2007, 11:11 PM
Beautiful restoration job Shane! If I ever let mine get into that sort of state I'll give you a call :wink:

Doc Ron
3rd January 2007, 12:44 AM
Good stuff, Shane. Makes us all a bit envious.
Ron:2tsup:

Penpal
3rd January 2007, 11:34 AM
37537Tremendous restoration,sending a pic of my old Woodfast the overall resemblance is striking in the detail shapes. Sent an E Mail to you as well regards Peter

Old Arn
3rd January 2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks once again for all the comments and warm welcome :U

Beautiful restoration job Shane! If I ever let mine get into that sort of state I'll give you a call :wink:
Ya gotta deal, ya just have to pay for the plan ticket to get me there :;

37537Tremendous restoration,sending a pic of my old Woodfast the overall resemblance is striking in the detail shapes. Sent an E Mail to you as well regards Peter
Wow Peter, they are very similar. The headstock almost looks identical. Good looking lathe.