View Full Version : Monthly Pen thing

Pages : [1] 2

Simomatra
4th January 2007, 11:56 AM
Hi

I have the bug so whats the procedures for this monthly pen thing

Touchwood
4th January 2007, 02:51 PM
The original idea was posted by Dazzler :2tsup: a way back (search this forum pen swap - poll for more of the history). The idea has evolved a little and runs something like this:

A generous body sends to people on the pen swap list 2 wood blanks suitable for pen making (this has lots of flexibility and has been known to include thin slices for laminating, more than 2 blanks etc).

This person has the POWER and selects the theme. The theme creates a challenge IMHO as it is interpreted in as many ways as there are pen people!

The pen swap people (PSP) then have to the end of the month to create their two pens based on the theme. They then photograph said pens and post pics at the end of the month for all to see. Originally there was a vote for best pen, but this to has evolved and currently there is no voting, only comments given by anyone who cares!

One of the pens is then to be sold and the funds donated to charity. PSP hold onto the pens and organise the selling bit OR forward them to someone who has access to a charity sale point. Much discussion has been had re the selling and charity types - see the sticky on the pen forum re this. Currently some have a stock pile of pens, while other pens have been forwarded and sold.

Hope this helps

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2007, 02:54 PM
Hmmm... which raises another question... do we have a donor for this month? :?

lubbing5cherubs
4th January 2007, 03:20 PM
yep put my name down again for this month please now christmas is behind me
Toni

Fireman sam
4th January 2007, 05:06 PM
you got the job toni :2tsup:
Andrew

chrisb691
4th January 2007, 06:09 PM
yep put my name down again for this month please now christmas is behind me
Toni

Just a suggestion, but how about sending out 1 blank and 1 bullet, as something different. It'll give everyone an opportunity to have a go at a bullet pen.

lubbing5cherubs
4th January 2007, 07:59 PM
send me the list and I see what I can dig up and the theme.
Toni

dai sensei
4th January 2007, 09:34 PM
So I assume there is still enough interest in continuing the pen swap in 2007. I'm still trying to finish last month's.

I was thinking of cutting up some blanks, but it will still be a bit green, so you can put me down for March.

SawDustSniffer
4th January 2007, 09:34 PM
i might join you guy's in pen turning , got a couple of pen kits on there way here ,count me in ( first pen might be a shocker LOL)

Stuart
4th January 2007, 09:52 PM
I've got my new baby now, and although there is a real one coming real soon, I would hope this continues so I have an excuse to put it through its paces.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2007, 09:58 PM
So I assume there is still enough interest in continuing the pen swap in 2007. I'm still trying to finish last month's.

I'd be continuing the pen swap even if I was the only participant! :;

Fireman sam
4th January 2007, 11:22 PM
count me in for the 07 pen swap
toni do you want us to pm you our addresses to start a new list for the new year:2tsup:
thanks
andrew

Touchwood
4th January 2007, 11:30 PM
I would be very sad if the pen swap finished - it is a lot of fun.

When I get my table saw replaced (still waiting for stock to come in - I'm beginning to wonder whether I should ask are they ACTUALLY building new stock or waiting for one to magically appear!!:doh: ) I will be able to put my hand up for blank supply.

Am currently turning some Jam tree - a type of wood favoured by farmers for fence posts. Hard as, bounces those sheep right back into their paddock if they try to leave!! Will have a go at getting some blanks off spare bits to let you all experience a WA timber, and maybe some tuart to keep the 'tough timber' theme!!!:D :D

JD

Touchwood
4th January 2007, 11:33 PM
I've got my new baby now, and although there is a real one coming real soon, I would hope this continues so I have an excuse to put it through its paces.

Should we be getting out the knitting needles too and getting some booties made?????? :; :;

Are you on close countdown yet?
JD

lubbing5cherubs
5th January 2007, 01:17 AM
count me in for the 07 pen swap
toni do you want us to pm you our addresses to start a new list for the new year:2tsup:
thanks
andrew

That would be great
Thanks Toni

rodent
5th January 2007, 01:58 AM
Hey touchwood it rasberry jam thats what it smells like when turned lovvvly stuff as you say hard as the obs but beautiful timber. love the stuff. by

Simomatra
5th January 2007, 09:03 AM
Hi thanks for all the replies

Good to see the swap will survive

I did do the search forst and emailed Dazzler as requested but it was never delivered.

You can count me in as well for the year my only problem is that I workk away and will be away offshore every second month

Home till the 25th so you can add me if you can Toni.

Looking forward

lubbing5cherubs
5th January 2007, 11:16 AM
ok I will try and get it out next week, hopefully depends on my babysitting commitments. Have had a mates little boy eat his mothers anti depressants (18 of them:o :no: he in ICU in Townsville.. Poor little fellow) So as soon as things settle down I cut up some wood and send it out. But I decide new year= so them "new beginnings" So by that I mean think out the box and try something new to you.:U

Interested in what you come up with.
bye
Toni

Simomatra
5th January 2007, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the little fellow.

I hope he is much better soon

Touchwood
5th January 2007, 12:20 PM
rodent Hey touchwood it rasberry jam thats what it smells like when turned lovvvly stuff as you say hard as the obs but beautiful timber. love the stuff. by

This wood doesn't have any nice odours to speak of - may be related to the one you are thinking of. Our Jam grows in sandy areas near creeks (salty) and is a small, multi trunk tree. Sure is giving the grinder a work out keeping the tools sharp!

:U
JD

Touchwood
5th January 2007, 12:24 PM
You can count me in as well for the year my only problem is that I workk away and will be away offshore every second month

Simomatra, how much luggage can you take each time .... what you need is a little mini jet lathe (or the like) that you can pack with you to 'feed the habit'!!!

Have had a mates little boy eat his mothers anti depressants (18 of them he in ICU in Townsville.. Poor little fellow)
Gee Toni, hope he is OK, don't imagine this medication was ever designed to be take in such quantity by one so young!! Scarey stuff :C :no:

JD

lubbing5cherubs
5th January 2007, 01:52 PM
Hi Jenny yeah he will be ok. He is home still very groggy though (mum a registered nurse so they allowed her take him home). but not sure the long term with that sort of rot. poor little fellow.

Simomatra
5th January 2007, 06:29 PM
[quote=Touchwood;437795]Simomatra, how much luggage can you take each time .... what you need is a little mini jet lathe (or the like) that you can pack with you to 'feed the habit'!!!

Varies from place to place but no where near enough to carry a small lathe much is the pity :((

lubbing5cherubs
5th January 2007, 08:24 PM
HI So far I have in for January and there addresses

Me. I know mine:p
Skew chidamn.. Still got your address:D
Touchwood
Simomantra
Terry B
fireman sam
dj Timbers
Dai Sensei
Stuart

Pm me those who else wants in please
Toni

dai sensei
5th January 2007, 08:35 PM
Count me in Toni.

lubbing5cherubs
5th January 2007, 08:36 PM
PM me you address Neil
Toni

Stuart
6th January 2007, 10:41 AM
Should we be getting out the knitting needles too and getting some booties made?????? :; :;

Are you on close countdown yet?
JD24 days to go......

(holy crap!)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th January 2007, 04:32 PM

:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
9th January 2007, 03:36 PM
any late starters want in this month or is this it?
Toni

ss_11000
10th January 2007, 01:44 PM
i'll be in it again this month. i should definitely be able to do em on time this month.

cheers
i'll pm u toni.

lubbing5cherubs
10th January 2007, 10:08 PM
HI So far I have in for January and there addresses

Me. I know mine:p
Touchwood
Simomantra
Terry B
fireman sam
dj Timbers
Dai Sensei
Stuart
PLUS --STIRLO

Pm me those who else wants in please
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
12th January 2007, 12:39 PM
there on there way. Word of warning. THis kind of bullet is even new to me so we are all going to learn something new here. Enjoy. and your wood is a burl from USA. :tears::wink: :D
Toni

DJ’s Timber
12th January 2007, 12:52 PM
Hope they have been used already :o :q :U

lubbing5cherubs
12th January 2007, 12:57 PM
yep they been shot.
Actually used in the terriotory shooting pig hunting.
but the pens are going to need a bit of tinkering with but I think you are up to the task.
HINT: I am going to make a wooden sleeve so it slides in the bullet to take up slack.
Toni

ss_11000
12th January 2007, 01:11 PM
sounds cool toni.

Simomatra
12th January 2007, 01:20 PM
Wow! This will be interesting I have never attempted anything like this as yet:)(

Looking forward

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th January 2007, 03:54 PM
Hmmm... now this'll be an exercise in ingenuity!

Who will go for an "ordinary" bullet pen (if you can call it that :; ) and who will think outside of the square?

ss_11000
12th January 2007, 04:03 PM
Who will go for an "ordinary" bullet pen (if you can call it that :; ) and who will think outside of the square?
me...lol:B

lubbing5cherubs
12th January 2007, 04:43 PM
Hmmm... now this'll be an exercise in ingenuity!

Well you really are going to have to use ingenuity because it also got a piece of antler to play with too.
Toni:doh: :D

dazzler
15th January 2007, 09:04 PM
Hi everyone

sorry i havent been around of late. Huge life change at the moment so very little time to do much of anything.

Great to see it still going strong. :2tsup:

Cheers

dazzler

dai sensei
15th January 2007, 09:06 PM
Got mine today Toni, they look great :2tsup:

I've never done a bullet and always wanted to :U .
I've never done antler and always wanted to :U .
Not sure what the burl it is, but it looks like it will have some amazing 3D features, something I always look for in a blank :U .

I think I am really going to enjoy this month:hpydans2: , even if they are only standard pens

Thanks Toni :2tsup:

Stuart
15th January 2007, 09:47 PM
Got me running for the letterbox when I read that......not here yet, but probably tomorrow... :D

Gave me a thought - wonder what a 50 cal machine gun bullet pen would be like (pretty bulky I guess...)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2007, 12:14 AM

I think we're onto something here fellas! Quick, let's all start discussing how much we'd all really like to turn 24 carat gold and platinum pens... :p

(I don't think I'll get much in the way of sleep tonight... I keep falling off the letterbox. :( )

Simomatra
16th January 2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks Toni

Mine arrived yesterday. Very nice to say the least.

I just have to find out what I am going to do with them. If its a challenge for the experienced then its massive for us learners

NewLondon88
16th January 2007, 09:12 AM
(I don't think I'll get much in the way of sleep tonight... I keep falling off the letterbox. :( )

Silly.. you're supposed to open the door and sleep INSIDE the box. Sheesh, don't they teach you anything? :p

lubbing5cherubs
16th January 2007, 10:28 AM
Got mine today Toni, they look great :2tsup:

Not sure what the burl it is, but it looks like it will have some amazing 3D features, something I always look for in a blank :U .

I think I am really going to enjoy this month:hpydans2: , even if they are only standard pens

Thanks Toni :2tsup:

Gidday Neil, Glad it arrived there safely. the wood is redwood burl from USA. Yep I think she be nice.
Toni

Stuart
16th January 2007, 12:28 PM
Dang - have to wait another day......

http://www.ubeaut.biz/beat_deadhorse.gif

:aro-u: (Australia Post)

Simomatra
17th January 2007, 08:44 AM
Got me running for the letterbox when I read that......not here yet, but probably tomorrow... :D

Gave me a thought - wonder what a 50 cal machine gun bullet pen would be like (pretty bulky I guess...)

I wonder where I can geta kit for this one.:minigun:

Stuart
17th January 2007, 09:39 AM
That is very cool (sic). So how does it work? The holes are right where the charge should be, or is there an inner skin that hold the charge.

So the holes are for heat dissipation or noise or both?

Just looked at the pic again - what size are those tiles? ie - how big is that thing???!!!
I could be very tempted to swap with one of the 4.5" or 5" cartridges I have here, cause that thing looks fascinating! (Unless you want to sell it......)!

Has given me an idea, that I have no clue why it hasn't occurred to me earlier. With the cartridges I have, I have always wanted to marry them up with a realistic shell. Of course I can never get a real one, or one of the blank ones that are fired in training, but I could make one out of wood......... (how the hell did I forget that I have a lathe?????) One on either side of my office door, and one either side of my shed door. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th January 2007, 11:54 AM
They've arrived! http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

I can sleep indoors in peace now... once I manage to work out how to get two pens from one bullet casing. :?

I wonder where I can geta kit for this one.:minigun:

You think you have problems finding kits? :D

Simomatra
17th January 2007, 02:00 PM
[quote=Stuart.;444365]That is very cool (sic). So how does it work? The holes are right where the charge should be, or is there an inner skin that hold the charge.

So the holes are for heat dissipation or noise or both?]

Stuart

The shell is from the wepon below, belongs to my son also ex pusser's gun buster and ex gunner artillery

We also have 5 inch as well

A recoilless gun or recoilless rifle (RCL) is a lightweight form of weapon that allows the firing of a heavier projectile than would be impractical with a recoiling weapon. Technically, only devices that use a rifled barrel are recoilless rifles, smoothbore variants are recoilless guns; this distinction is often lost, and all are called recoilless guns.

Skew
Nice collection there. Like the ice cooler

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/cid:787205002@17012007-0FB7

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/cid:787205002@17012007-0FBE

Simomatra
17th January 2007, 02:08 PM
Here's some more info

ss_11000
17th January 2007, 04:26 PM
nice hijack guys :2tsup:

got my pen stuff today. thanx alot toni, the antler, burl and bullet looks cool. gonna have a look at your tutorial on your site then get started soon. this should be fun :cool:

cheers

ss_11000
17th January 2007, 04:40 PM
i read your tutorial just then toni and was wondering what you use to grind the nib down to the tube diameter ( or have i missed something ? )

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
17th January 2007, 06:34 PM
Stirlo these bullets are larger than what I used there. So you are going to have to turn the a piece of wood so it fits inside the bullet to take up the flack. You will not need to grind this one down
bye Toni

lubbing5cherubs
17th January 2007, 06:42 PM
Gidday Stirlo,
go here to read this is a tutorial doing a bullet in the size that I have sent out. I know you are a member here so you should have no problems

http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4692&PN=1
bye Toni:U

Fireman sam
17th January 2007, 09:50 PM
mind turned up today thank you toni :2tsup:
Andrew

Stuart
17th January 2007, 11:50 PM
Tap tap tap tap :fit:still waiting on Aust. post :~

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th January 2007, 12:45 PM
Stirlo these bullets are larger than what I used there. So you are going to have to turn the a piece of wood so it fits inside the bullet to take up the flack. You will not need to grind this one down

On mine, the outside dia of the casing matches the outside dia of a slimline nib nicely. :) It'll be interesting packing it out on the inside; I'm undecided whether to turn a wooden sleeve like you suggest or just fill it with epoxy or casting resin.

You've got the ideas churning, Toni. Thank you!

Simomatra
18th January 2007, 06:10 PM
Ok I will be the first bunny

Completed my attempt at the bullet pen today.

I presses the timber bank into the shell casing, I have a press so it also made the transition at the nib much better. As I want to keep the antker for a sierra I useda piece of camphor for the other end. Tried to copy the shape of shell and reverse it

To get a better finish on the pen I polished it.

Pen kit used was slim line.

Finish EEE and shellawax glow . I treied my first attempt at CA finish today but need more practice with that one

Stuart
18th January 2007, 07:07 PM
Yay - they arrived.:omg: what have I let myself in for :doh: Especially the curved antler.

lubbing5cherubs
18th January 2007, 08:30 PM
you be right take your time the angle is acheivable well I hope it is
bye Toni

Penpal
18th January 2007, 08:39 PM
Thats some pen,the repeating of the shape at the top ingeneous,how will you keep the brass shiny? Glad the burl arrived ok,to me you do not need help with cartridges. Peter:2tsup:

Simomatra
19th January 2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks Peter

I think the antler is the biggest challenge.

Hope fully by sealing the metal it will stay that way till it chips or scratches. Using the same tech as keeping service brass clean

lubbing5cherubs
19th January 2007, 11:08 AM
remember when doing antler wear breathing protection. some people have got serious respiratory so wear a mask please
Toni

DJ’s Timber
19th January 2007, 12:39 PM
Mine finally turned up today, nice bit of burl and antler will be interesting

Stuart
19th January 2007, 01:15 PM
So do we treat it like wood?

I tried (disastrously) some time back turning one of those plastic blanks. Never have touched one again - haven't a clue how to approach it. Hope the antler isn't in the same ballpark.

ss_11000
19th January 2007, 01:29 PM
Gidday Stirlo,
go here to read this is a tutorial doing a bullet in the size that I have sent out. I know you are a member here so you should have no problems

http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4692&PN=1
bye Toni:U
ta toni:cool:

lubbing5cherubs
19th January 2007, 01:56 PM
I do not sure if your are suppose to though
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th January 2007, 06:36 PM
So do we treat it like wood?

Yes. But treat it as though it's expensive wood. ie. Take a bit of care!

A mid-cure Epoxy or PolyU glue is best for the tube, and keep your tools sharp. The outside is hard'n'tough but the innards are softer and more porous, so don't be too agressive with the tool. (Sometimes I don't notice any difference, on other pieces it's like breaking through into cheddar cheese.)

Because it's porous inside, be extremely careful if you need to sand so that you don't end up with dark sanding grit clogging the pores. Yuck! I don't recommend using EEE, either. One way to "work around" this is to give it a coat of CA & accelerator to seal the pores before sanding. To finish, another coat of CA, although personally I prefer a light wash of Rustin's Plastic Finish. I haven't tried Shellawax on antler yet, maybe I 'll give it a go this time. :wink:

I think that covers most of it... ?

Stuart
19th January 2007, 09:19 PM
Yes. But treat it as though it's expensive wood. ie. Take a bit of care!......and keep your tools sharp.
I other words, I better leave it very much alone until I can at least get some sharpening practice in. Waiting for Triton's waterwheel, as my current grinder is incredibly aggressive (and fast), and my tools look like a dog's breakfast.

dai sensei
19th January 2007, 09:30 PM
Waiting for Triton's waterwheel..

Hope you don't intend to sharpen HSS chisels on a water wheel, doesn't work well, the chisels tend to sharpen the wheel :oo: :(( .

Stuart
19th January 2007, 09:53 PM
See, told you I don't know what the #### I'm doing.

So what do you sharpen on a waterwheel? I was hoping it was for sharpening chisels, as all my things that need sharpening are HSS (or maybe they are not - what are marples chisels made of?)

And for making a new plane blade live, one which is HSS, and the other is cryogenic steel. Is there any point to a water wheel then?

dai sensei
19th January 2007, 11:06 PM
I bought a water wheel before I joined the forum and found out the hard way for the HSS turning chisels, haven't used it since.

Flat wood chisels and plane blades are Ok I believe, the rounded shape of the turning chisels certainly cause damage to the water wheel. Perhaps someone else can shed some more light, I'm afraid I am no expert either. I now have a variable speed blue wheel, timber wheel and buffing wheel to sharpen the turning chisels see here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=428475#post428475) based on sharpening demos put on by this forum.

Stuart
19th January 2007, 11:34 PM
Feelin' my poor chisels will never be sharp again :(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2007, 12:00 AM
I simply use a white (AlOxide) wheel on my bench grinder for my turning tools. Most "general profile" turning tools are fairly easy to learn to sharpen... skews, scrapers and spindle gouges anyway. Bowl gouges take more skill, especially once you start moving into the fancier profiles like "ladyfingers," etc. I'm sure you'll manage.... unless you're using bowl gouges on your pens? :oo:

You might be lucky(??) with the Marples' chisels... I didn't know they made HSS ones now, I thought they were all High Carbon Steel. I could be wrong though; it certainly wouldn't be the first (or last) time. [shrug]

I think that any problems with the Triton water wheel will be more because of the chisel shapes than the hardness of the steel... once you get a bit of practise at sharpening, especially freehand, this'd be less of a problem as you learn to move the tool across the whole face of the stone to evenly spread the wear.

In the long run I reckon it'd be just as effective as any other method... just a more expensive learning process, in terms of ruined stones! :wink:

Stuart
20th January 2007, 12:04 AM
I don't know what they are either - high carbon steel sounds more correct.

Perhaps when the Triton wheel finally arrives, I should replace the buffing wheel (dry) with a new Al oxide one, but now that's probably too slow for effective sharpening.

Think I need to make one of Stu-in-Japan's jigs - I don't do enough to become proficient at freehand.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2007, 12:24 AM
I'd just make an adjustable table on the front, so you can set the right angle but still freely move the tool across the stone.

Using a jig tends to "lock" the resting position of the tool into one place on the stone and you really won't want that on your new toy. :wink:

Touchwood
20th January 2007, 07:06 PM
I'd just make an adjustable table on the front, so you can set the right angle but still freely move the tool across the stone.

Using a jig tends to "lock" the resting position of the tool into one place on the stone and you really won't want that on your new toy. :wink:

I too use a white wheel, and a kind gentleman at my TAFE classes many years ago made me two adjustable tables, one which angles up for the gouges and the like and one which angles down for srcapers and the like. They work a treat.

JD:2tsup:

Terry B
20th January 2007, 10:36 PM
Dear All
I have been on holidays but sadly it is now finished. I hope my bullet etc are at work where all my mail goes. I will check tomorrow. An interesting challenge thanks Toni.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2007, 11:18 PM
OK... so I've finished my version of the bullet pen and tomorrow I'm going to dismantle it and rework some parts. Why? Well, I don't have any chrome fittings and both gold and black look out of place. :( I should've used the burl, dammit!

However, the casing's a bit battered, showing a few specks of brass here'n'there, so I'm thinking of trying to strip the plating off to leave just the barebones brass case.

Unfortunately I can't slap it in an electrolytic bath as 'tis all glued up... so I'm thinking of actually spinning 'er up on the lathe with some 600 or better grit and seeing where that gets me. :oo:

Anyone got a better idea?

Stuart
20th January 2007, 11:25 PM
That's how we used to clean shells (5" ones :o) in the Navy as trophies. Spin em up on the lathe, then use brasso and some of those green kitchen scouring pads. A pen is much smaller (obviously :roll: ), but the principle is the same

lubbing5cherubs
20th January 2007, 11:29 PM
sorry Skew they are used shell
Toni

dai sensei
20th January 2007, 11:29 PM
Had the same idea Skew, sanding off the crome. I'll have to check what kits I have, I am running low.

What is glued up, the tip? Perhaps covering the good bits with masking tape to protect it whilst sanding.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2007, 11:55 PM
sorry Skew they are used shell

That doesn't matter Toni, the bullet polished up nicely and I wasn't worried about the dings... they add a bit of "authenticity" to it. 'Sides, I think the postie would chuck a wobbly if they were new shells. :wink:

But I used just the antler with it and screwed up on my measurements so the brown "gullies" were turned away (I wanted some left for the effect, but... :- ) and now the pen is just bone'n'chrome. It looks too cold & clinical for my taste, more like an antique surgical instrument than a pen. :rolleyes: I want to add some warmth and colour back into it and short of throwing away the antler, well... I think this is the simplest way to go.

Had the same idea Skew, sanding off the crome. I'll have to check what kits I have, I am running low.

What is glued up, the tip? Perhaps covering the good bits with masking tape to protect it whilst sanding.

It's a heavily modified slimline and the bullet is glued to the antler. Everything else is press fit so it should be easily stripped to almost the bare essentials. But almost isn't good enough.

dai sensei
21st January 2007, 07:24 PM
...so the brown "gullies" were turned away ...

Hmmm, similar problem, I had assumed the brown continued at depth :- . Now I've added a bit of colour with resin, just hope I haven't stuffed it completely :C .

On the bullet side, the crome isn't too bad, so I might try and live it as is. Also running low on kits, so after turning the antler I will call in on GPW during the week and see what kit will look Ok.

Stuart
21st January 2007, 09:17 PM
So do you guys have any photos?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st January 2007, 09:57 PM
Yessss.... but the month isn't over yet. :D

ss_11000
21st January 2007, 10:08 PM
if i stuff up the bullet....should i still make a pen with the antler and a bit of acrylic or make a key ring....( i haven't stuffed the bullet yet but i want to have a back up plan because it seems more than likely lol...)

cheers

Touchwood
22nd January 2007, 12:23 AM
mmmmm... I wish Aussie Post would feed the pigeons a little better for their big trip ....:bird2:... mine are still not here yet :no:

or maybe Toni's 'roo shooters got bored and shot my pigeon! :minigun:

JD

tashammer
22nd January 2007, 05:47 AM
I want to add some warmth and colour back into it and short of throwing away the antler, well... I think this is the simplest way to go.

Try a bit of blood, that would go with shell case and antler.

Simomatra
22nd January 2007, 03:57 PM
So do you guys have any photos?

I go away Wednesday so my month is over

Here is my attempts for the month

Antler
I slit the antler in half and tried to drill the hole as near as possible to the outer. Missed most of the marking after shaping, also enter what I think was a flaw in the core. sanded up to 1500 grit natural finish

Burl

I ran in all kinds of trouble, beautiful piece of timber but my shaky hand did a bit of chipping. :(( Sanded to 1500 grit Finish clear polyurethane

Bullet

As per earlier post

lubbing5cherubs
22nd January 2007, 03:59 PM
Sam very nice you are quick off the board. I have to make mine yet. Way to go
Sam
bye Toni

Touchwood
22nd January 2007, 04:14 PM
yay ... mine have arrived :D :hapy:

Looking forward to having a go at something new ...

Hey Toni, how have the boys managed to mail theirs for about $1 and you got stung for $3.80??? That must mave been expensive for you :C

Antler
I slit the antler in half and tried to drill the hole as near as possible to the outer. Missed most of the marking after shaping, also enter what I think was a flaw in the core. sanded up to 1500 grit natural finish

Great idea but don't think I'm brave enough in case I blow it completely!!

Like your pens Sam

Jenny

lubbing5cherubs
22nd January 2007, 06:22 PM
must of been wrong sex. could not butter up the post office chick. LOL
Toni

Stuart
22nd January 2007, 08:27 PM
Use some ground up antler - apparently works wonders....oh wait, you need the parcel to arrive to get the antler!

dai sensei
22nd January 2007, 10:04 PM
I slit the antler in half and tried to drill the hole as near as possible to the outer..

You did very well then Sam, braver than me drilling so close to the edge.

Simomatra
23rd January 2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks Touchwood< Toni and Neil

My first choice was to wait for a Sierra pen kit but there looked enough to get two out of one. I was very carefull with the drilling in the press

Thanks for the Antler Toni it was a real challenge. I found the best cut came when I used freshly sharpened tools and jacked the lathe speed right up

I will not be home till late next month so I woun't be so fast next time

Very interested to see other pictures

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th January 2007, 06:10 PM
Seeing as how others have posted their bullet pens in this thread, I'll show ya what I've done with mine. 'Tis a modified slimline kit, you can see where I've nibbled & bent the clip to conform to the top barrel. I also stripped the nickel/chrome/whatever off the casing, bringing it back to brass. Now it looks much better with the gold kit. :)

The other pen (using the burl) isn't done yet; I'm thinking of buying some new, unprimed .308 cases and making more of this style of pen... it depends on whether I can stretch the budget. (Which was shot to hell this week; we had a fire in the bedroom t'other day that took out the carpet, bed, & b/r suite. $$$ :( )

ss_11000
27th January 2007, 06:16 PM
thats pretty cool skew. the divided casing looks awesome:2tsup: