PDA

View Full Version : First Bottle Stopper

Gil Jones
5th January 2007, 05:12 PM
Wine bottle stopper (composite pic of opposing sides)
The wood is Mesquite, which is polished, one coat of lacquer, buffed and waxed.
The stopper is by Ruth Niles, and is solid stainless steel, with Buna-N o-rings.
http://www.torne-lignum.com

echnidna
5th January 2007, 05:38 PM
looks great Gil

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th January 2007, 05:59 PM
Aye, it does look good Gil.

I've turned a couple of those myself, but only as gifts... I've never actually used one. Haven't had any feedback on 'em either, so I'm curious; how well do they work?

Cliff Rogers
5th January 2007, 06:06 PM
I've made some a while back, they work well BUT... if you stick them in the top of a wine bottle, it won't fit int the fridge :( unless you stand it in the door, :rolleyes: or drink the whole bottle so you don't need it. :D

I was going to have a go at making shorter flatter ones that would fit in the fridge better but once I solved the problem by drinking the whole bottle, I didn't have to. :p

Simomatra
5th January 2007, 06:23 PM
I've made some a while back, they work well BUT... if you stick them in the top of a wine bottle, it won't fit int the fridge :( unless you stand it in the door, :rolleyes: or drink the whole bottle so you don't need it. :D

I was going to have a go at making shorter flatter ones that would fit in the fridge better but once I solved the problem by drinking the whole bottle, I didn't have to. :p

Totally agree with you Cliff:way2go:

Wayne Blanch
5th January 2007, 06:31 PM
Gil you have done a fantastic job on that:2tsup: , I may have to give one a go at some stage. That wood is really striking.

I agree with you Cliff re finishing the bottle. It is far better to finish the bottle than to risk the failure of a bottle stopper anyway. You wouldn't want to waste any wine after all would you.:drinks_wine:

Simomatra
5th January 2007, 06:39 PM
Sorry Gil nice work

Great looking timber as well

As I said not necesary in this house:partysmiley:

BernieP
5th January 2007, 06:50 PM
G'Day Gil

Very nice !

Cheers
Bernie

Gil Jones
6th January 2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks to you all for the kind comments. This bottle stopper works very well.
Personally, I buy wine in 5 liter boxes, so there is no need for a stopper.:) http://www.petervella.com/wines/wine.asp?v=CBL

DJ’s Timber
6th January 2007, 07:40 AM
Nice work Gil and beautiful timber

dai sensei
6th January 2007, 10:11 AM
Nice work Gil.

The only problem I have been made aware of them is you have to be careful putting them in the bottles, the steel can break the bottle if your aim isn't the best. The female I refer to was a bit shakey after 3 bottles and stabbed the stopper straight through the top of the 4th :B .

OGYT
6th January 2007, 12:07 PM
Truly nice, Gil. I've made a half dozen or so, and none of them as nice as this.
I might add also, that they work in a bottle in a horizontal position. :o)

Cliff Rogers
6th January 2007, 01:46 PM
...in a horizontal position. :o)

Would that be you or the bottle? :p

pawnhead
6th January 2007, 04:29 PM
Nice work Gil.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but here's an old one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-ANRI-Kissing-Couple-Bottle-Stopper_W0QQitemZ270075898171QQihZ017QQcategoryZ10903QQcmdZViewItem) I noticed on ebay. Apparently when you pull the lever at the back, the heads rise and kiss each other.
I thought it was pretty nifty and I wouldn't mind making some as presents if I can work out the mechanism.

Wayne Blanch
6th January 2007, 11:06 PM
Would that be you or the bottle? :p
I find that if I put the bottle in the horizontal position too often I can also end up in a horizontal position myself.:D

hughie
7th January 2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks to you all for the kind comments. This bottle stopper works very well.
Personally, I buy wine in 5 liter boxes, so there is no need for a stopper.:)

By crikey Gil you could almost be come an honourary Aussie buying your plonk by the cask :U :U :U Nice effort!

Hmm mesquite I ve got a small piece myself might have a go at it

joe greiner
7th January 2007, 01:50 AM
Personally, I buy wine in 5 liter boxes, so there is no need for a stopper.:) http://www.petervella.com/wines/wine.asp?v=CBL

You mean you drink the whole 5 liters in one go?:oo:

Spectacular detail and finish. Nice work.

Joe

rodent
7th January 2007, 02:06 AM
gill what did you finish it with .I was wondering if i used a shellac based finish if the acohol would remove it.

Gil Jones
7th January 2007, 04:22 AM
Thanks again for all the comments.
Rodent, the finish is highly polished wood (white diamond on 10" wheels) with a coat of lacquer that is buffed and waxed. I think that shellac would be adversely affected by any alcohol [and I have never had much luck using shellac anyway].
Joe, I try not to sip all 5-liters in one sitting, but the 5-liters of boxed plonk (though this vino is of good quality) is in a Mylar bag with a valve. It is the same stopper I displayed at the club meeting last week.
Hughie, becoming an honorary Aussie would be a great honor, thanks:) ! (I noticed the word "almost")

hughie
8th January 2007, 09:02 AM
[Hughie, becoming an honorary Aussie would be a great honor, thanks:) ! (I noticed the word "almost")

Gil,

Well me China Plate, let me give you the drum. Ya gotta be fluent in Strine to cut the mustard as a full blown Dinky Di. Then its done n dusted matey.

:U :U :U :U :U :U

Gil Jones
9th January 2007, 01:26 PM
Workin on it, mate, icon ardlywait.

Wayne Blanch
10th January 2007, 01:24 AM
Workin on it, mate, icon ardlywait.
Yer gettin ere cobber, but iconardlywait is only one word mate,:D but not bad for a septic tank:U :; :U

SawDustSniffer
10th January 2007, 01:32 AM
stone the crows , we got room , yabeteremember to bring ya own water to support yaself for 5 years ,oh and ya gottabeableto spell the monarks engwish to pas the test mostofus Aussies would fail , u'll be welcome , apply

Gil Jones
10th January 2007, 03:02 PM
Hmmmm, this may take an extra day or two, but Ima chancer. :)

OGYT
10th January 2007, 03:47 PM
Apples, Gil... yer doingood fera septic tank. (Big Grins 'ere)

hughie
10th January 2007, 11:37 PM
Gil,

:2tsup: welcome cobber, you'll do. Cant knock a man fer hav'n a go, bewdie mate.

Gil Jones
11th January 2007, 09:36 AM
Strine is not so dicfiult, try tihs>>>>
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs?

Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod
aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the
hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny
iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit
a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Simomatra
11th January 2007, 10:10 AM
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs?

Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod
aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the
hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny
iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit
a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Esy fme speil theat wey

hughie
11th January 2007, 12:57 PM

http://www.aussieslang.com/slang/australian-slang-a.asp

http://goaustralia.about.com/cs/language/a/strinea.htm

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/bev2000/strine2.htm

have a look at this for a better definition and understanding of strine. :U

Gil Jones
11th January 2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks Hughie, been reading the the 2nd and 3rd links for several days, thanks for the 1st one.
Ciao,

tashammer
12th January 2007, 05:13 PM
each day may bring a new and entrancing expansion to ones vocabulary. Take the following example, "bum nuts' .
"Bum nuts?" i said.
"Good grief, what will they come up with next?" sez i to the sniggering butcher as he handed me some chook fruit.
I'd never heard 'em called bum nuts before. Now i wish i still hadn't.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th January 2007, 05:52 PM
Bum Nuts, Cackle Berries, all the same thing. Just don't throw any Barker's Eggs in the pan... :oo:

Gil Jones
13th January 2007, 07:13 AM
The streets of France are littered with barker's eggs:rolleyes: