PDA

View Full Version : Wire burning

joe greiner
6th January 2007, 04:45 AM
By accident, I discovered an interesting two-tone effect with wire
burning. The box is cherry, about 2.75"/70mm diam, 3.625"/95mm high;
wall about 0.156"/4mm thick; the knob is 0.625"/15mm diam, 0.875"/25mm
high. Buffed paste wax. Burned with SS wire, 0.019"/0.5mm.

At the equator, the wire can be held perpendicular to the lathe axis.
Away from the equator, the wire must approach the wood perpendicular to
the surface, else it will skid towards a smaller diameter. With
aggressive burning in such a manner, there can be an off-latitude
smudge, as slightly shown on the upper burn of the knob (got impatient,
I guess). With gentler burning, I got the better effects shown.

Vignetting produced by attached closeup lens housing (DIY: 5x
jeweller's loupe, lens itself toward camera).

The lid was an afterthought. Sloppy measurement of side slope, and
didn't quite match the box.:-

Joe

Doughboy
6th January 2007, 04:55 AM
Joe

I like the eventual mistakes a lot! Interesting approach and great outcome. Learning as you go is a great teacher!

Pete

Hickory
6th January 2007, 06:25 AM
Not well versed in wire burning, I have a question... What kind of wire did you use? Guitar? Piano? Smooth or the coiled? Or just plain ole wire?

I like the effects you have offered. I will play around with it on my next turning, perhaps.

Thanks for the posting and show more.

Gil Jones
6th January 2007, 06:42 AM
Good work, Joe! Cherry takes the burns very well. Using wire to make a friction burned design element works fine, if not a bit smelly.
I use .020", .032", and .050" stainless steel safety wire, and even .075" copper electrical wire for wide burns.

joe greiner
7th January 2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks all.

I just re-measured my SS wire. Actually 0.020", not 0.019". I've also used 0.050" Al and 0.075" Cu. The Al is sold as electric fence wire. The Cu is just regular electrical wire with the insulation stripped off.

Just about any kind of wire will work. Some have suggested picture-hanging wire - usually woven strand; might be a bit aggressive, but I haven't tried it yet. Music wire also OK, I guess. The round-wound for lower notes on guitar or piano might behave more like a spiral scroll-saw blade, with possible inferior results. Flat-wound guitar strings might be OK, but with either of the wound strings, I'd expect the possibility of unwinding - not good.

Flat wire (like slinky, but coiled easy way insteady of hard way) could be interesting - should make a shallower recess; don't know a source, though. A flat screwdriver blade might create a similar effect, but not so sure how it should relate to the toolrest - could be very dangerous.

For any of this, do NOT wind the wire around your finger. Attach to a handle of some sort. You can still guide the wire with your fingers. The Al and Cu are very good conductors; not just electricity, but also heat. Use a couple vise-grip pliers for holding.

Try the technique on scrap first, to get a feel for it. Just load a piece of firewood between centers/centres, turn it round, and experiment.

[PS: SS wire is likely not available at Home Despot etc. Get from sporting goods shop, in fishing tackle dept.]

Joe

DJ’s Timber
7th January 2007, 12:55 AM
I use wire from my MIG welder with great results

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th January 2007, 01:31 AM
One alternative I've found that works really well... that 'orrible green "waxy cardboard" chaiwanese sandpaper that all the $2 around here seem to carry.

Totally useless as sandpaper, but the edge is excellent for marking à la wire. :D

rodent
7th January 2007, 01:45 AM
Why dont you try a piece of laminex one of the sample pieces works fine just put your grove in the timber and apply the laminex put pressure on the piece and the burning starts.

OGYT
7th January 2007, 10:33 AM
I like the job you did on the box.
I use bicycle shifter cable for my burn wire. Lasts a long time, but is a mite thick.

ticklingmedusa
7th January 2007, 03:38 PM
Why dont you try a piece of laminex one of the sample pieces works fine just put your grove in the timber and apply the laminex put pressure on the piece and the burning starts.

I've used this method. I'm guessing laminex = formica.
I think its easier to control the burn and keep it in the groove.
Breathing the smoke cannot be healthy.:o
tm

soundman
7th January 2007, 11:53 PM
I find puting in a light grove with the skew or the corner of a parting tool is a great way to start a burn.

I'm not impressed with copper wire... it takes tooo much heat away from the burn and takes too long.

I used the tip of a feeler guage recenty to put a burn on a pen and was happy with that.

I believe gituar strings or piano strings are the best but you want the plain strings not the wound ones.

cheers

TTIT
8th January 2007, 10:17 AM
I'm not impressed with copper wire... it takes tooo much heat away from the burn and takes too long.Spot on Soundman - Stainless steel wire is definitely better for groove burning as it is the least conductive (thermally and electrically)

Why dont you try a piece of laminex one of the sample pieces works fine just put your grove in the timber and apply the laminex put pressure on the piece and the burning starts.Yup - Very handy when the line is on a slope where the wire just won't stay put!:U

By accident, I discovered an interesting two-tone effect with wire
burning. Good stuff Joe - all this experimenting keeps it interesting.:U

RETIRED
8th January 2007, 12:08 PM
Spot on Soundman - Stainless steel wire is definitely better for groove burning as it is the least conductive (thermally and electrically)
Yup - Very handy when the line is on a slope where the wire just won't stay put!:U

Good stuff Joe - all this experimenting keeps it interesting.:UUp your way I thought fence wire would be the go.:D

BTW. Didn't see that much water when we were up ther 3 years ago. (pic 5):no:

ptc
8th January 2007, 06:08 PM
Yes.
blacker the better

TTIT
9th January 2007, 12:51 AM
BTW. Didn't see that much water when we were up ther 3 years ago. (pic 5):no:Dam must have been a bit low when you were here then eh!?!?:B:U