PDA

View Full Version : Part Needed For Old Coronet Major Lathe

pwill
6th January 2007, 11:43 PM
After many years of faithful service my Coronet Major wood lathe has suffered a breakage and I am looking for someone who has one of these old machines stuck away in a corner, and would like to sell/supply me the part. Any info or leads would be appreciated.
I know that it's possible to weld/braze the casting, but would rather source an unbroken one.
Thanks
Phill
Please use PM or email in profile. Thanks.

hughie
7th January 2007, 12:42 AM
I know that it's possible to weld/braze the casting, but would rather source an unbroken one.

Phill,
I cant help you with parts. But offer advise on repair based on my experience.

It is possible to weld and braze the cast iron, however I would strongly recommend having it done by TIG welding. This will produce very strong weld with minimal distortion and does not have all the hassles of heating and cooling etc.

I have had my tool rest repaired twice by this method [different breaks] with great success. Also repaired a Leady lathe cast handle as well, no hassles.

It might be worth considering using a thicker and larger diameter washer to spread the load. This will give more support to this area.

If you have too much hassle, PM me and we should be able to work some thing out.

I generally work for lumps of timber...sorry cant help it :no: , its part of my addiction :U

tashammer
7th January 2007, 10:29 AM
Hughie, that sounds interesting. Just how often to large lumps of timber approach you with offers of work?

DJ’s Timber
7th January 2007, 10:58 AM
Hughie, that sounds interesting. Just how often to large lumps of timber approach you with offers of work?

:rotfl:

hughie
8th January 2007, 12:25 AM
Just how often to large lumps of timber approach you with offers of work

:U :U :U I walked into that one:U its worth a greenie I reckon