PDA

View Full Version : New baby home at last!...

TTIT
8th January 2007, 09:39 AM
A quick, wet trip to Vermec in Brizzy (only 900 and somethin' kliks) and it was love at first sight:U(pic 1). Wanted to take it to Coffs Harbour with me but Enzo was still doing some fine tuning so I picked it up Saturday on the way home. At around 500kg with the stand, loading it with the forklift was OK but unloading it at home was another story! There's some serious mass in this thing - made for one seriously overloaded ute! (pic 2). Finally found a hand crane that did the trick (pic 3) and now that it's in position, the lathe is staying right where it is for at least a few weeks while I work out a way to make it portable. All I've had time to turn so far is an egg but even that was a pleasure - this baby is SOOOOO quiet (pic 4). Next comes the hard bit - working out where to put everything so it's at my fingertips - gonna have to be a very different layout to the old MC900.

I won't show the view looking out of the shed like Lil' Festo did 'cos I don't wanna make anyone jealous........:;

............. arrrh OK then!!!:roll:(pic 5)

Cliff Rogers
8th January 2007, 09:43 AM
Looks good, all except the hand wheel on the tail stock, that last photo shows up the sharp corners on it. :D

Speanwoody
8th January 2007, 09:44 AM
nice lathe, some weight to it, bet there will be nice stuff coming of this, the veiw in the back ground is like Loch Sheil at Glenfinnan here in scotland, but I am sure you will tell us where it is, now set the lathe up and enjoy

cedar n silky
8th January 2007, 09:51 AM
Looks good, all except the hand wheel on the tail stock, that last photo shows up the sharp corners on it. :D

He's pretty good on "photoshop too":D
You can't trick us, you showed your front yard to the world with that seriously overloaded ute photo!!:no: Must have been a fun drive home?!
Enjoy your new wife!:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
8th January 2007, 10:32 AM
Congrats on the new toy, you won't know yourself now :q :U

David L
8th January 2007, 12:21 PM
Nice toy.
Good on you for not showing a picture out your workshop door I think Queenslanders should be banned from doing that. It is not fair on our southern friends.

lubbing5cherubs
8th January 2007, 03:33 PM
geewhiz what are awesome work are you going to be able to do now. If you can do that vase on your last lathe this one you will be able to make sing to you
bye Toni

Frank&Earnest
8th January 2007, 04:43 PM
G'day everybody. How nice that my first post is to congratulate somebody for having achieved what I also want to do. After having been a closet woodworm for 1/3 of a century, I have now achieved the financial security that allows me to spend an adequate amount of time enjoying my hobby and making a dent in the few tonnes of hardwood I have squirreled away in the meantime.

TTIT, from your and other posters' comments, it seems that most turners would be happy with your choice. Could all of you help me in the selection process? (By the way - 20 years ago there was a Woodworkers Guild here in Adelaide, that I joined but let go after a couple of years because it was just frustrating not having the time- could not find one now. I see that even in this forum the croweaters are a small minority... any direction gratefully accepted.)

My first love is woodcarving and I see the lathe mainly as a tool to shape a functional piece for further decoration. I would like to be able to turn large dishes say 80cm diametre and therefore to hold a cheese that wide and about 40cm high between centres for roughing and dissecting. Is this realistic? My fear is that this would lead to a large and expensive lathe not used very often. Would the Vermec handle this? How much should I expect to pay for something that does? Within reason, price is not my main concern, provided the value is right. I would be quite happy with a more solid second hand machine than a flimsy new one.

Again, congratulations. I look forward to your advice. Cheers
Frank

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th January 2007, 04:49 PM
There's some serious mass in this thing - made for one seriously overloaded ute! (pic 2).

Nah, that's not overloaded: the front wheels are still touching the ground. Overloaded is when you need SWMBO to sit on the bonnet and still have to drive in reverse to get any semblance of steering. :p

(You only get to do it once though... SWMBO's don't like playing that game. :innocent: )

All I've had time to turn so far is an egg but even that was a pleasure - this baby is SOOOOO quiet (pic 4). Next comes the hard bit - working out where to put everything so it's at my fingertips - gonna have to be a very different layout to the old MC900.

An egg? :oo: That lovely new toy and you turn an EGG? :rotfl: :pointlaugh:

Sorry. :tapedshut:
Oh hell... No, I'm not ! :harhar: :rotfl:

Wayne Blanch
8th January 2007, 06:31 PM
Congratulations on the new arrival, 500 kg that shouldn't do too much walking around with an out of balance blank. (I've spent some time chasing mine around the shed:doh: ) It looks fantastic, based on the items you have turned on the old machine you will be turning out some even more awesome items with this one.

G'day Frank and welcome to the asylum. I am sure that you will enjoy your time here. I certainly do!:U

Turning items with an 80cm diameter would be a challenge for most machines.
I would suggest that you post your question in a new thread so that more people will have an opportunity to notice it. I am not experienced enough to answer your question but there will be the knowledge out there for you.

See ya
Wayne

Fireman sam
8th January 2007, 07:34 PM
Hi TTIT
your new lathe looks good nice and heavy:2tsup:
sorry i missed you when you were visiting your parents may be next time your down but with the new toy it might be a while:U
Andrew:)

Penpal
8th January 2007, 07:45 PM
Well done love your gloat,covet the view,possibly you could fish while you eat lunch on the terrace?

Frank and Ernest I enclose a view of my Woodfast 300,they go back a few years but do not take prisoners with their solid shaft and lay shaft in the middle of the pulley system on the way to the motor,this one I fitted variable speed control to a 2 and 1/2hp three phase motor run on single phase,it has a soft start drawing 7 1/2 amps on start and same on run.

The outoard takes 800 mm and inboard 420mm,in the background is a Woodfast 400 with a 14inch disk sander outboard I use for drilling and sanding pen blanks.Reason I bother is to show another possibility since the Woodfasts were made in S.A.

If as you say money is not critical in your choice follow TTIT and her lathe will do the sizes you mentioned just be prepared to go without the magnificent view.

Tony Morton
8th January 2007, 10:04 PM
Hi TTIT
What a baby you made a quick dicision I had to dream for five years to get my baby home and it is black. I dont know i like Enzo Colour having had the black Stubby for six years,i like the movable switch gear as it gets a bit hairy with a natural edge 700 in diam going round and having to reach under it to switch it off. Good luck happy turning.

Cheers Tony

TTIT
9th January 2007, 12:19 AM
I would like to be able to turn large dishes say 80cm diametre and therefore to hold a cheese that wide and about 40cm high between centres for roughing and dissecting. Is this realistic? My fear is that this would lead to a large and expensive lathe not used very often. Would the Vermec handle this? My Stubby is the S750 model which has a swing of 75cm. You would need to go to the S1000 model like Little Festo and Ern have. I went for the S750 because I doubt I'll ever want to turn anything bigger than 60 or 70cm and even that won't be too often. Trees out here just don't get that big!:C

the veiw in the back ground is like Loch Sheil at Glenfinnan here in scotland, ahhhh - so thats where I am!!!????:doh:

I dont know i like Enzo Colour having had the black Stubby for six years,i like the movable switch gear as it gets a bit hairy with a natural edge 700 in diam going round and having to reach under it to switch it off. Good luck happy turning.I would have liked it in black too but I'd have been just as happy if it was pink or purple - well sort of:B. The remote switch is great - had wondered what the factory model would have been like to use , especially if you had the auxillary bed mounted there - would be hard to get to it in a hurry. Enzo's knee stop is handy too - just gotta remember the thing is there and get into the habit of using it!:U

Overloaded is when you need SWMBO to sit on the bonnet and still have to drive in reverse to get any semblance of steering.No SWMBO (how else do you think I managed a Stubby :; ) and the Fox terrier just ain't heavy enough - maybe if I'd left the Rose mahogany in Coffs - - - - nahhhhh!:U

Little Festo
9th January 2007, 01:28 AM
Hello TTit, Glad you got the little beast home ok. Spoke to Ezo today and he told me about the guy from Emerald who picked up a Stubby the other day. Hope you enjoy turning on it as much as I do on the 1000. Like the view too!! There is a road that comes past the shed's "front roller door" and now most of the neighbours wave as they come up the hill - another enjoyable distraction. Frank, Always nice to have a lathe with a bit of weight if you are turning larger pieces. When a large blank is "out of round" it can even make a 400kg Stubby jump about a bit. The advantage is that you can safely turn at a higher speed. provided that it's well held, thus roughing is a fair bit faster. I haven't bolted the lathe down - one line of thought is that if the lathe bucks it's probably a good idea to slow the speed down as there are some very large forces in play when this happens and it's better to be aware of it. Happy turning - Peter

mrblue
9th January 2007, 03:05 AM
Very nice machine!!,,,, and now i finally get to see what this "ute" thing is all about.. figured it had wheels but wasnt sure... :D

Tony Morton
9th January 2007, 07:44 AM
Hi TTIT
On my Stubby the switches are located on the blank square obed under the auxilery bed, I leave it in place all the time as on larger stuff IClean up some of the back in this position and with it in place it keeps you away from the spinning blank.

Cheers Tony

OGYT
9th January 2007, 11:44 AM
Good on ya, TTIT. That's a nice hunk of steel! Didn't know they made green ones... I'd only seen black. Be careful... when you dodge that first piece that comes flyin off it... you don't wanta fall in that lake!! Heh heh.
An egg.... my oh my!

hughie
9th January 2007, 12:03 PM
Vern,
Hmmm bit worried about the Stubby. :o will get any use ?

The workshop is seriously clean.... not looking like a real workshop :D

hope your not one your not turning into a toy collector..... :U :U :U or worse, becoming one of those fashionista,designer water quaffing socialite turners....:U :U

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

all said and done a very impressive new toy, expect some magnificant examples of turned work from your part of the world :2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
9th January 2007, 12:54 PM
Hi everybody, thanks for your useful comments. I had a look around another thread where you were discussing lathes, and found these views that sum up my feelings at the moment:

TTIT:<O:p</O:p
But that's the point isn't it - it's the bigger blanks that are more unbalanced - which is precisely when you want extra support and you can't bring up the tailstock for anything bigger than 400mm on any of the others!!!! As an example, the DVR XP (was 2nd choice) is rated at 740mm swing using the outrigger but you can't use tailstock support once you have to go outboard at 400mm. The S750 Stubby does 750mm diameter BETWEEN CENTRES so to speak.<O:p</O:p
<O:p
Slow6<O:p:
...having said that I doubt I'd consider one seriously.. I'd be far more inclined to get really silly with my 7 (more likely 10, my note) grand, buy an old pattern makers lathe and do a full resto. (having a 6x9 shed and 3phase current, I could get something beasty, maybe)
</O:p
If I were a professional and got income and tax deductions for it, I would already have written an order for the Stubby 1000 and be done with it. As a hobbyist who got some fun over the years on one of the $99 machines (they were $300 then IIRC) I baulk at the not improbable possibility of a rest-of-my-lifetime subtle nagging from my better half (I am not as desperate as those of you who call her SWMBO, thankfully:D :D :D ) about the cost-benefit of the purchase. I think this is still Plan A, though.

On the other hand, I have to consider whether I am just being megalomaniac and should think about making smaller objects. In that case the $3000 lathes would be acceptable, won't they? If I can find somebody near who can rough up bigger pieces for me when i feel like it, I might go this way. It is always useful to have a Plan B.

Thank you again, I will keep the "asylum" posted with the developments and will welcome further advice.
Cheers
Frank

rsser
9th January 2007, 05:15 PM
Congrats Vern. Welcome to the clan. Next pic we want to see her covered in sap :U

btw, I may have mentioned it but if not, there's a thread on the Yahoo Stubby group on mounting the 750 on wheels.

I had to bolt my 1000 down to stop her rocking round on the uneven concrete.

Also btw, I did a patent search for the Oneway bowl steady in order to, ahem, get some inspiration. Unfortunately its not listed in the Canadian or US databases. But I've made a start; sourced a heavy two-piece bracket for 1" gal pipe from the plumbing supplies place to clamp the arms to the post/banjo.

Frank, with care and a large faceplate you may be able to do what you want with a swivel head lathe. I've seen some big heavy burls done that way. (Garry Pye sells heavy faceplates at a good price).

Frank&Earnest
9th January 2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks rsser, another point for Plan B. I am worried that my small size/strength and beginner skills would make that option a bit scary, though. Given that my bank balance is better than my life expectancy, Plan A still looks like the way to go.

Any thoughts (from anybody) about a second hand big beast? I once saw at a woodworker's shop near Mildura (Red Cliffs?) something really huge (I mean HUGE, a footprint at least 1m x 6m), and when I told the guy about my dreams for retirement, he warned me against buying "hobby grade" lathes...

Who knows, maybe there is a bit of the "big car, small d***" sindrome at play here...:no:

SawDustSniffer
9th January 2007, 10:44 PM
still waiting for ttit pics of the floor covered with sawdust and a tannin stained lake ,from sweeping it out the door ,
she a beauty , and I've been looking at a DVR , sorta wants to make me keep my mouth shut , just jellos that's all

was gonna get a DVR with 2 extensions and make a round bore casing stand ( filled with concrete ) to give it guts , still looking , the only wood lath shop in darwin has been shut since before xmas ( ubeaut distributor ), but that's Darwin , the NT means " Not Today , Not Tomorrow , maybe Next Thursday" but NT works well for me when i want some time off so i cant complain

did i just brake a law mentioning a DVR on a Aussie made lath thread ?

TTIT
10th January 2007, 01:02 AM
The workshop is seriously clean.... not looking like a real workshop :D

hope your not one your not turning into a toy collector..... :U :U :U or worse, becoming one of those fashionista,designer water quaffing socialite turners....:U :U
Spent the time between xmas and 'Stubby day' building some racks to move ALL the wood out of the shed into the 'wood store' (garage!) and shuffle the shed contents to make more room for the other new machines (thicknessing sander and a dusty at last) - cleanest it's been for 6 years!
Don't worry Hughie - I drink tap water and wouldn't know what a quaff tasted like anyway :B

still waiting for ttit pics of the floor covered with sawdust and a tannin stained lake ,from sweeping it out the door ,
In the interests of those with concerns for the water quality in my lake, I decided to move the shed to another part of the backyard as pictured :U

Next pic we want to see her covered in sap :U
Already oiling my biggest bowl yet and roughed out a couple of Leopard wood blanks that were starting to crack and started finishing off an Albizia rough that I drowned and dried a while back. Gotta stop turning for a day or two soon so I can get the tool rack and light setup though. I had enough trouble walking past the old lathe without throwing a lump of wood on it - near impossible with the Stubby:B:;

OGYT
10th January 2007, 11:45 AM
Better move er back, the spray from that waterfall will rust er. :o

powderpost
10th January 2007, 11:45 AM
TTIT,
Excellent looking machine, but I would be concerned about rust from the waterfall.... :U
Just a little confused, can't recall a waterfall like that in Emerald last time I was there. Fully expect to see some interesting pieces now.
Jim

ss_11000
10th January 2007, 12:56 PM
congrats vern.