PDA

View Full Version : Ok first trys on the Mc1100

Gra
8th January 2007, 12:27 PM
Finally got my hands on the reasonable turning chisels that came with my lathe. they were under the Christmas tree. SWMBO insisted I could have the lathe, but not the chisels before Christmas.

Over the Christmas break, we were at the beach and she finds one of my woodworking magazines. It had an article about making Christmas decorations. She says "Why cant you make thins like these?"

Harrumph.... "I would if I could get into my shed......"

So we get back home and I wander into the shed, here is what I knocked up.

It is pine, unfinished at present, it is only a prototype, the real one will have a hole drilled into the tenon (Before I turn it) to hang it from the tree.

/not bad for a first try... Might just have to get some decent pale wood (The pale wood shows up better against the green tree)

PS Sorry about the fuzzy pic, camera running out of battery

DJ’s Timber
8th January 2007, 01:02 PM
Looks good Gra, dosen't matter what you do but you can never seem to please SWMBO

Gra
8th January 2007, 01:09 PM
Looks good Gra, dosen't matter what you do but you can never seem to please SWMBO

Problem is I think I did, she has ordered a half dozen for our tree this Christmas. Now I have to remember what I did and do it again.......:oo::oo:

scooter
8th January 2007, 01:40 PM
On the same journey, Gra, keep up the good work, mate.

Cheers....................Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th January 2007, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't bother trying to make 'em all the same... add a bit of variety. They're good practice, so turn twice what she wants, pick out the best looking and hide the worst. :wink:

Scooter, you worked out the thread size for your headstock spindle yet?

Gra
8th January 2007, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't bother trying to make 'em all the same... add a bit of variety. They're good practice, so turn twice what she wants, pick out the best looking and hide the worst. :wink:

You really think that was my first attempt:no:. That was the best of three...

As for making them the same, cant even sign my signature twice the same, got no chance of even getting close to the same with this..

will have another go in a couple of days (I am on leave at present) wont get much done tomorrow as I am off to pick up a SN2 chuck, and have booked Wednesday to run up to Millgrove to check out their timber supply

but when thats over, will have uninterrupted shed time (Heat permitting).

Might just have to watch that sharpening video and do a search the a how to, so I can sharpen these chisels, I suppose I could always just start a sharpening thread:o:o:q:q

DJ’s Timber
8th January 2007, 05:19 PM
Gra when you come up to Millgrove bring your chisels with you and I can show you how to sharpen them. Let me know exactly when you are coming up as the showroom is still shut I think, but I should be able to meet you there and open it up for you

scooter
8th January 2007, 08:07 PM

Forgot about that, Andy, will get out the verniers forthwith :D

Cheers................Sean

TTIT
9th January 2007, 12:47 AM
SWMBO insisted I could have the lathe, but not the chisels before Christmas.Even Saddam's tortures weren't that bloody cruel:o:o

Might just have to get some decent pale wood (The pale wood shows up better against the green tree)
Should get the kids painting them instead.:U

Gra
9th January 2007, 03:29 PM
Even Saddam's tortures weren't that bloody cruel:o:o
Its alright, went out and spent $20 on a set from the warehouse/2 dollar shop. Good disposable set of chisels, that I can @#$% up and not worry about..

Should get the kids painting them instead.:U

Nah keep the wood look, just got some Shellawax and EEE so might give that a try:2tsup::2tsup:

OGYT
10th January 2007, 03:33 PM
Good job, Gra. Keep it up. Make a treefull. (I'd make it a point to take DJ up on his offer.)
That said... I like The Mistress. A lot. What a beauty!!

Gil Jones
10th January 2007, 05:00 PM
Good ornament, Gra.
Turn the Missus some Christmas Trees and Angels,
they arent hard and are good practice.