PDA

View Full Version : West Indian Rosewood HF w/Ebony Collar

OGYT
8th January 2007, 01:59 PM
Pic 1: Front.... backside looks the same. This is West Indian Rosewood. Collar is Ebony. Diameter 133.35mm. Height 152.4mm. Thickness is 6.35mm throughout (used the laser rig).:D
I've got the first 2 coats of lacquer on it, with 2 more planned. I hollowed through a 3/4" opening... collar opening is 3/8".
Pic 2: Side view....
Pic 3: This tall form is Black Walnut w/ebony collar, 215mmX101mm, 6.35 mm thick. :)
Pic 4: The weird one is Black Walnut, about 85mm x 70mm without the finial. I think it looks sort of like a badly shaped apple, with this thing on top of it. :oo:
Pic 5: Closeup of the finial. First time I ever tried carving on a woodturning. Turned a small funnel, and carved the side out of it. I added a red bead followed by two gold beads to look like seeds... sort of...:?

I'd like some serious critiques on these forms, please. :oo:

Rookie
8th January 2007, 02:24 PM
That rosewood's a very nice piece of timber Al. Love the shape on the first two, but yep, the "apple" looks a little top heavy with that large finial. Two choices for the next one I guess. Either make the bottom less apple shaped and then with the large finial it would look like a perfume bottle, or make it look like an apple if you like it, and try your hand at carving out a twig coming out of the top.

TTIT
9th January 2007, 01:09 AM
To be honest Al, I like all 3. The tall walnut one could do with some texturing or treatment for interests sake but shapewise I reckon they're all fine. Good stuff :U

Gil Jones
9th January 2007, 11:17 AM
Al, your hollow forms are looking great!!
Neat little carvings in the finial.
Thanks for sharing.

Wayne Blanch
9th January 2007, 11:33 AM
I like all of them. All in all a great effort.:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2007, 12:06 PM
The first 2 are great. I think the finial is to big for the size of your apple

hughie
9th January 2007, 12:22 PM
Al,

I am with Vern on this one. I like em all, shape, form, beads n' all

tashammer
9th January 2007, 06:38 PM
Overall, i really wish i had reached your skill level.

No.5. I love the pouring flute, it's form conveys its purpose brilliantly. I don't like the stopper at all as the fake gold cheapens the whole look.
No.4. The only thing that bothers me is the width of the base - i always have issues with centres of gravity and stability. Apart from that minor issue, i think you have created a form that one may derive lots of pleasure out of just by looking at it.
No.3. i am in neutral about this as it does seem neutral. i can't see the collar which is a pity because i was hoping that it would break up the sameness of neutrality. (Do you follow? I am saying that if the piece was a colour then it would be beige).

Of all of them, Number 5 stands out by a mile - it is interesting and it is exciting, and there is a great pleasure in following the form.

The other two are beige - not offensive, placid, calming, all the elements but neutered.

OGYT
10th January 2007, 03:19 PM
Either make the bottom less apple shaped and then with the large finial it would look like a perfume bottle, or make it look like an apple if you like it, and try your hand at carving out a twig coming out of the top.
Thanks, Rookie... may just try the apple-with-a-stem bit. :; You 'n Tas fixed the perfume bottle thought firmly in my mind. :doh:

TTIT: Thanks... I agree, the tall one needs something... don't know what, though. Collar is ebony, in the pic below. How about a faucet in the side, down low.:oo: :D

Gil and Wayne and DJ and Hughie, thanks for the kudos.:p

I love the pouring flute, it's form conveys its purpose brilliantly. I don't like the stopper at all as the fake gold cheapens the whole look. The only thing that bothers me is the width of the base.

Tas, yer brilliant!:2tsup: Pouring flute... :2tsup: why didn't I think of that?:? :doh: Truly, it was intended to be sort of a flower opening up with seeds... sort of copied another bloke's try... Perfume bottle/Pouring flute with stopper. Next thing added to my list of things I wanta try!! :D

Now, about the width of the base... too wide? too narrow? I'm serious... I don't know much about form...:no:

Wayne Blanch
10th January 2007, 05:38 PM
Now, about the width of the base... too wide? too narrow? I'm serious... I don't know much about form...:no:
Al, I don't know about others but I think that form is a thing of taste. You know "Eye of the beholder" stuff.
However I have been told by an artist friend of mine that he believes that the base should be no more than 1 third the height. Having said that he liked a couple of things I made that did not fall in with his "rule":?

IMHO the form of these items are pleasing to the eye and well proportioned. :2tsup:

I reckon if you are pleased with the result you have achieved - then the form is right.

Just my opinion, I don't know if I am correct or not. SHMBO is not here to tell me if I'm right:no: :D

Simomatra
10th January 2007, 06:39 PM
Nice work Al well out of my league at the moment

hughie
10th January 2007, 11:28 PM
[/quote]

Al,

Form is largely a matter of opinion or as Wayne says ''the eye of the beholder''. But there are general shapes and forms the appeal to all of us.

In this case I think the base is just fine, for me the line from top to bottom should be a continous curve, no flat spots lumps or bumps. Thats what you have achieved and it looks good. :2tsup:

There is a relationship to the base and the top of the piece, dunno what the formula is,:C just use my eye, some times you get it right and ....

I spend time on getting the relationship of all the lines/form and height width to blend together. I guess its a learning curve, the more you try the better the eye. :U

lubbing5cherubs
11th January 2007, 01:19 AM
Al well my favourite is the apple with the large finale I like it to me it has a wow factor. so it shows each to there own.
Toni

rsser
11th January 2007, 06:54 AM
A rule of thumb for base / overall diam is a third.

After that it's a matter of taste. You see some forms from the early 90s which had a narrow high foot, almost like a stub, that don't look silly IMO. And having any foot changes the lift of the line.

But your forms work well Al. Nice work.

OGYT
11th January 2007, 03:56 PM
Ta, Toni, Hughie, Ern, Sam, Wayne.
Gotta keep tryin'... fun, fun, fun. So much wood, so little time.

Boxinator
11th January 2007, 04:03 PM
Nice work, I love the finial!

Corey

tashammer
12th January 2007, 05:15 PM
definitely an entry for the Grand Finials.