PDA

View Full Version : show us ya' stand

Twinnie
11th January 2007, 09:10 PM
g'day all

i'm getting a new lathe soon and i'll be making a new stand for it because i have the need to be able to move my lathe easerly the atachment shows my design but i (and i'm sure alot of others) want to see your stand.

as for my stand here is a little description...
the first thing you'll notice will be the wheels it has to be mobile but being a lathe stand it also has to be solid. to do this the wheels can be lowered using a bottle jack (the orange bit) the plate which the wheels are mounted is free and there will be a batten on the inside of each leg that will limit the movement of the platform to 20mm there will also be peices to stop it moving sideways (but i left these out so you can see the insides).

it will be made of 25 to 30 mm mdf and when it's done in about 2 weeks time for about $200 or less i'll take piccies for you all

Matt

SawDustSniffer
11th January 2007, 10:52 PM
i was planing on byeing a nova DVR soon ,but there not long enough , so i was gonna get 2or 3 extension beds for it , but then its to flimsy

so i was gonna make the bench out of 250mm or 300mm steel pipe with legs to support the nova DVR bed ,ill see how it handles a 1800 x 200mm log before i core fill the pipe with concrete and riobars ,
was also gonna put a "Stop Cable " the full length , kick the cable with your leg and the lath stops , the lathe will just plug into the stop cable box

was going to weld 30mm threads to the side of the pipe for chucks and put some hooks for spanners and chisels ( nothing that can fill up with sawdust ,no dusty )

glad you posted this thread , i want a sticky beak at other people's lathe stands as well

joe greiner
12th January 2007, 12:30 AM
It will likely be somewhat tippy until the plate bottoms out on both battens. If budget permits, two bottle jacks may be more effective.

Joe

Hickory
12th January 2007, 05:00 AM
I posted my new stan a few weeks back. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=42555

I have been using it several times and haver made only one modification: I lined the drawers with rubber to keep the chisels from sliding about. I haven't had a situation with the coasters as I have it pushed up against the wall or another piece of equipment when using it. I am in the works of creating a gismo to attach the DC or Shop Vac and will post that when finished.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1000664a.jpg

RETIRED
12th January 2007, 07:54 AM
Not mobile but very stable:wink:

echnidna
12th January 2007, 08:56 AM
I keep meaning ter ask yer .
D'yer use an electric skateboard ter stand on ter take a full length roughing cut ?
:rolleyes:

Ross
12th January 2007, 10:08 AM
I keep meaning ter ask yer .
D'yer use an electric skateboard ter stand on ter take a full length roughing cut ?
:rolleyes:

........or did he forget which end he left the beer? (pic 2)

Ross

Cliff Rogers
12th January 2007, 10:13 AM
........or did he forget which end he left the beer? (pic 2)

Ross
Coffee. :wink:

Wayne Blanch
12th January 2007, 10:35 AM
Not mobile but very stable:wink:
Yer a show off :p :D

ptc
12th January 2007, 10:38 AM
That,s the bigest stubby I've seen.

Twinnie
12th January 2007, 03:49 PM
that is a mighty big stand but how often do you use it's full length?

edit: joe the distance between the wheel platform and the baterns is only 2 cm or 3/4 of an inch so it can't go far

Matt

echnidna
12th January 2007, 03:55 PM
whenever somone orders 40ft verandah posts