PDA

View Full Version : Table doodahs.

docusk
13th January 2007, 11:12 AM
I want to make a circular, revolving mount for the centre of the table with a Lazy Susan bearing.
Turning the base and the top 'platter' as it were is no problem but I want to put about 4 or 5 circular holes or sockets to hold the jars of jam, marmalade, pickles and so forth.
Can they be turned using the lathe? if so how. if not, would it be possible to use a router with a pivot to cut them? They only need to be about 1/4" deep.
The top would be about 12" in diameter, holes about 3".

docusk
:(

RETIRED
13th January 2007, 01:38 PM
I want to make a circular, revolving mount for the centre of the table with a Lazy Susan bearing.
Turning the base and the top 'platter' as it were is no problem but I want to put about 4 or 5 circular holes or sockets to hold the jars of jam, marmalade, pickles and so forth.
Can they be turned using the lathe? if so how.

Yes, provided you have the clearance on the bed.

Locate the position of the holes and use a screw chuck to mount using the centre of the holes.

Slow the lathe down to do this.

if not, would it be possible to use a router with a pivot to cut them? They only need to be about 1/4" deep.

Again yes but it is easier to use the template guide that came with the router.

The top would be about 12" in diameter, holes about 3".

docusk
:(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th January 2007, 04:10 PM
I've also seen a setup, used in outboard turning, that is basically a 3' stud mounted on a faceplate, (in the middle of it's length, like an airscrew) a small, lightish chuck on one end and a counterweight on the other. Both the chuck and counterweight can be moved along the stud for positioning, balancing, etc.

Scary to watch in action, but very quick 'n effective if your making a lot of this sort of thing. Not the most practical method for a one-off, though...

Personally, I think I'd mark out the blank and use a router/template to make the recesses before turning the platter. It's a wee tad easier to make corrections when there's a bit more wood to play with. :p

tashammer
13th January 2007, 05:33 PM
Methinks that one belongs in the Land of Fwap , Skewy?

docusk
13th January 2007, 09:10 PM
& Skewy, yes, thanks esp. for the template idea. I have router cutters with roller bearings to follow an inside curve so if I make an appropriate sized hole in a piece of scrap wood, follow that round and then freehand clear the centre of the hole? Hows that seem to you.

docusk

tashammer
13th January 2007, 11:29 PM
cruet set?