14th January 2007, 11:14 AM
Thelessons on the lathe continue. This weeks is a pot pouri bowl

Timber Sasafras from Exador

Finish EEE and shellawax glow thank you Neil

Had a dry piece fall out when roughing it out left as a feature

dai sensei
14th January 2007, 11:20 AM
Looks great Sam.

Is hollowing the next lesson? That way you can expand the area for the pot pourri itself.

Gil Jones
14th January 2007, 11:29 AM
Fine looking bowl, Sam, nice wood too. Keep up the good work.
My 2¢ worth (slightly off topic) is that all those little round thingies are a visual distraction.

Simomatra
14th January 2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks Neil

This was to be a hollowing lesson as well but the feature in the side stopped that. Took it as far as I was game. :p

Hollowing next time

Simomatra
14th January 2007, 11:32 AM
Cheers Gil

Thats the wifes input to tyr and liven up the pic :D :D

Wayne Blanch
14th January 2007, 03:01 PM
Nice work Sam:cool: , Thats a nice bit of wood, and the feature accentuates the work I reckon.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th January 2007, 05:07 PM
I like it. The knot could have been epoxied back in and the gaps filled, so you could hollow a bit more.

But I think I would've made the same choice as you: left it as a feature. It looks effective and how much dead vegetation do you really need to make a pong? :rolleyes:

Nice piece.

Simomatra
14th January 2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks Wayne appreciated

Skew

There was no option to put the knot back in as there was only a dried out hole there when it was roughed out. The other option was to put a contrasting plug in there but the feature won. The piece was very dry.

rodent
18th January 2007, 12:11 PM
That looks good and i love the caractor the bowl .My first one was to shallow.

OGYT
18th January 2007, 12:20 PM
I think ya done good. Nice form, no matter how deep. I need to do some of these. Thanks for posting these pics.

Ashore
18th January 2007, 12:22 PM
Good stuff sam , but how about a battery led inside to give it nice glow and so you keep your hand in for when you go back to work :D

Rgds Mate

Simomatra
18th January 2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks Rodent

I would have liked a bit of hollow but next time

Thanks OGYT

Appreciate

Russell

Thats a nice tip think of something along those lines soon. Off to back to work next Tuesday