PDA

View Full Version : Some turnings

Little Festo
15th January 2007, 11:46 AM
Here's a few of my turning from last year.

Peter

Designsync
15th January 2007, 11:53 AM
Very impressive Peter. Great work.

starr
15th January 2007, 12:54 PM
Very nice work.
How did you colour the inside of the middle piece (the one with the textured band)? It appears to be multi-coloured.

ss_11000
15th January 2007, 01:04 PM
very impressive: were they turned on your new stubby?

Little Festo
15th January 2007, 01:10 PM
Very nice work.
How did you colour the inside of the middle piece (the one with the textured band)? It appears to be multi-coloured.

Starr, that's gold leafing, just the inexpensive type.

SS_11000, no these were turned on the Vicmarc

Peter.

Gil Jones
15th January 2007, 03:34 PM
Fine turnings, Peter!!
Well done.

Wayne Blanch
15th January 2007, 07:19 PM
WOW they are most impressive!:2tsup: What woods are the white ones. I am looking for some white wood to contrast with some Kwilla that I have.

martrix
15th January 2007, 07:27 PM
I don't know how you teach it, and I don't know how you learn it, but you've got it.

They are just simple bowls, but yours always make me do a double-take!

So simple and elegant..............in a word, Art:2tsup:

Little Festo
15th January 2007, 11:56 PM
WOW they are most impressive!:2tsup: What woods are the white ones. I am looking for some white wood to contrast with some Kwilla that I have.

Wayne' the two light pieces are Gmelina leichardi (white beech). The lightest piece was turned green a day after the tree was felled, it was also bleached. Gmelina tends to turn a bit greyish as it dries. It's not a very dense timber, carves very well and turns well too and is not too prone to cracking. I turned quite a lot of it when I was in Darwin, also brought a few blanks down to QLD when I moved here last year.

Matrix, you are very kind. I have a suspicion that they photographed well too. They sold quickly too though.

Peter

TTIT
16th January 2007, 12:02 AM
Beautiful work as always Peter. :D Love the Malachite inlay - looks fantastic. It will be interesting to see what influence your new view has on your work.

Little Festo
16th January 2007, 12:28 AM
Beautiful work as always Peter. :D Love the Malachite inlay - looks fantastic. It will be interesting to see what influence your new view has on your work.

The view is good, hope my shapes don't start looking like Mr Coorora (the hill/mountain) in the view). The best thing is the breeze. Did some carving today and it was great to sit on the verandah. My dogs have started to visit now though and insist on getting some attention before they go off on their merry ways.

Peter

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2007, 12:42 AM
They put even my better pieces to shame. [sigh]

I think I'll take up bricklaying...

CameronPotter
17th January 2007, 04:14 PM
Wow. Nice stuff mate, this is just the kind of stuff that REALLY makes me itch to get back on a lathe again...

Cam

BernieP
17th January 2007, 07:14 PM
G'Day Peter

Beautiful pieces, thanks for the photos as it always gives me something to aim at...one day.

Cheers
Bernie