PDA

View Full Version : Thicknessers

AldgateCC
28th May 2003, 10:50 PM
I would appreciate any info people have on a thicknesser that would be suitable for a High School
Thanks

q9
29th May 2003, 12:29 AM
Aren't the kids thick enough?

Sorry couldn't resist...

BrianT
29th May 2003, 11:34 AM
'morning AldgateCC,

Suggest you have a chat with the crew @ David Tembath Agencies - even talk to David himself - they are a good mob.
They are the agents for JET (import directly from the factory) in SA/NT. Phone 8424 3311.

Cheers
BrianT @ Burra - which is just a tad chilly this morn.

TOMARTOM
29th May 2003, 01:59 PM
I hired a Makita Thicknesser from Kennards for about $80 odd dollars for a day. I put no less than 1200 lineal metres of wood through it, (both sides too) on one set of blades. The wood was radiata pine. The blades are tungstan carbide and reversable. easy to change blades too!.

I have heard raves about the DEWALT, but the blades are HSS and resharpanable$$$.

The down side of the Makita are that there is no repeatability feature, no cutterheadlock and 1650watts of power.
I found that snipe was pretty good and anyway I always lop off the ensa of lengths. The power is not a problem, just treat the machine like romancing the wife

take it slow and don't feed her too much at once.

regards

Tony:)

GeoffE
29th May 2003, 07:23 PM
Hello AldgateCC,

Although I'm an amatuer, I'll throw in my 2 bobs worth here.
I've had a MiniMax FS30 thicknesser/planer for about 18 months.
I bought it with recycling timber in mind. I've certainly done a lot of that. It spits the timber out in excellent condition, is easy to use and to date, no problems, and it's not too noisy.
It may have been a bit pricey compared to many on the market but it is a solid performer and hopefully last a long time.
I purchased mine from Gabbetts here in Sydney. Being for a school I would push that point and expect a substantial discount.
It's cheap advertising for any supplier.
Gabbetts in SA 0884456077.
Regards
Geoff

Iain
30th May 2003, 08:31 AM
I've looked at the Makita and failed to see any difference between it and any other generic 12" thicknessers, except a $400 price difference.

Go with any well known brand and check the warranty.

AldgateCC
2nd June 2003, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the info I will follow up some of the leads