PDA

View Full Version : Works in progress

Little Festo
16th January 2007, 12:16 AM
here are a few images of some work in progress. The first is a piece of Brush Box" on the Stubby. I scored a log approx 10 meters and 15 years old. Has anyone turned Brush Box?? Seems a bit hard, my gouge lost it's edge quite quickly. Nice light brown colour but darkens quite dramatically when oiled. I have almost finished that blank, must post when finnished.

The second is a carved bowl from Bumpy Ash. Quite pleased, I think this will come up quite nice. looks a bit odd in the photo as the carving is twirling inwards. I kept the edges sharp and it threw up some good shadows (relief). Bumpy ash turned well and carved nicely too.

Peter

Wayne Blanch
16th January 2007, 12:58 AM
The carved bowl is most impressive already,:2tsup: I look forward to seeing the completed item. I turned a small piece of brush box a while ago and yep it certainly was hard but the grain was nice and it took the finish really well. (Used Shellawax and EEE)

Doughboy
16th January 2007, 01:08 AM
Peter

Good score on the log.. should get some great stuff outa that fella. The carved bowl is spot on. Will look a treat on the table full of fresh fruit for the family.

Pete

Simomatra
16th January 2007, 08:46 AM
Looks impressive look forward to the finished items

La truciolara
16th January 2007, 11:25 AM
That is sure unusual, impressive, very nice. Congratulation

ss_11000
16th January 2007, 12:48 PM
cool:2tsup:

dai sensei
16th January 2007, 01:52 PM
The carved bowl is most impressive already,:2tsup: I look forward to seeing the completed item.

I agree, beautiful work.

mic-d
16th January 2007, 01:54 PM
Nice, verrry nice!

Cheers
Michael

lubbing5cherubs
16th January 2007, 06:01 PM
step by step on your carving would be awesome
bye Toni

Little Festo
16th January 2007, 11:30 PM
step by step on your carving would be awesome
bye Toni

Hello Toni,

Firstly I marked out 36 sections/divisions across a undercut rim and slighty down from the rim using the lathes indexing facility. The twirls come done the side of the bowl about 10mm. I would have liked the twirls to come down to the base but when I roughed this I made the wall thickness too thin approx 7-8mm. I marked out 12 twirls using the extra indexing marks to assist with getting uniformity with the "twirls". (hope tihs makes sense)

I then "roughed out the twirls using Arbortech Mini-Grinder -

http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/woodworking-information/Mini-Grinder

Then I cleaned up using 80 grit sand paper - can be lots of 80 grit rubbing. It's a nuisance when fingers start bleeding, particularly when using light coloured timbers. This carves out a nice even surface, and you can adjust the shape of the twirls if necessary. Then work down the grits to 400. The twirls are at an angle and with a twist, if they were straight you could use a router/trimmer.

I've since cleaned up the "bottom" and put on a coat of sanding sealer, more sanding and will apply a few coats of lacquer later in the week. Suprisingly the bowl fit onto my small bowl jaws quite nicely, nice suprise.

http://www.vicmarc.com/page.php?PageId=ChuckAccessories

hope this makes sense Toni - Peter

Tornatus
17th January 2007, 12:10 AM
The carved bowl is simply stunning, Peter - and thanks for the "how to" (Toni got in ahead of me).

The only problem is that you have now demonstrated a compelling case for that ArborTech Mini-grinder I have been trying so hard to resist .....:roll:

TTIT
17th January 2007, 12:23 AM
The carved rim looks fantastic already Peter - can only get better with a finish on it!:2tsup:

Caveman
17th January 2007, 12:54 AM
Hey Peter - that's a superb piece - real special.
Thanks for sharing!

rsser
17th January 2007, 08:44 AM
Great work Peter.

Brush box is full of silica - that's what does your tool edge in.

I had some recycled planks of it from the Victoria Pier here in Melbourne. Gouge needed a touch up after every pass across the inside of a 10" bowl.

Little Festo
17th January 2007, 09:39 AM
Great work Peter.

Brush box is full of silica - that's what does your tool edge in.

I had some recycled planks of it from the Victoria Pier here in Melbourne. Gouge needed a touch up after every pass across the inside of a 10" bowl.

Thanks Ern,

When roughing it out I "pushed" the cut a bit, not a good practice. I really noticed, on the shaping final cuts, the number of trips to the grinder. I might have to mill some of that 10 meters of log into boards, the timber looks nice though.

Peter

rsser
17th January 2007, 04:33 PM
Your pic shows a nice bit of figure Peter.

My planks were pretty bland so I left the checks on the top and scorched the rim.

Little Festo
17th January 2007, 11:33 PM
Your pic shows a nice bit of figure Peter.

My planks were pretty bland so I left the checks on the top and scorched the rim.

Brush Box

Nice one Ern, good idea. I have turned two blanks, one awaiting some lacquer the other I've oiled. The oiled piece seems to want to continue checking around the end-grain. It's oiled and sealed but seems to be developing some fine cracks, the other piece is quite sound. The two blanks came from the 'end' of the log so maybe thats the problem. There was some dry rot too.

Will post a pic when finished

Peter