PDA

View Full Version : Half hour speaker stands

greenie512
17th January 2007, 11:27 AM
This idea is not new and has been around for ages but I’ve been promising myself to build some “pipe” stands for ages. I had been coming up with lots of fancy and complicated ways of fixing the pipe to the base/top. The other night I dropped on the simple but not too pretty solution. I hardly need to explain: -

100mm pvc drain pipe
100mm straight couplers (one end treaded)
100mm end capsCut top/bottom boards to suitable size, screw caps to boards, screw coupler in to cap, cut pipe to required length, push pipe into bottom coupler/plate – do same of top.

I need to: -

Get floor spikes from Jaycar
Fill pipes with sand
Round over top/base edgesBecause I built various size boxes I’ll leave this a push fits. This’ll allow me to cut different lengths of pipe and create the correct height for different speakers. If this gets loose I’ll use a few grub screws to tighten top/bottom. If this was just for these speakers I’d glue all pvc joints up and paint them.

SilentButDeadly
17th January 2007, 12:38 PM
You're spot on about none too pretty but I appreciate the concept.

Myself, I think I'd use 80mm steel tube with some tags welded on instead of the PVC.....hid the bottom tags by sliding the bottom plate (with 80mm hole cut in it) over the tags. Provided you had the steel lying about then it'd fit easily within the half hour and probably be even cheaper (because those PVC fittings aren't cheap).

You could also consider running the cable through the tube too.

derekcohen
17th January 2007, 04:27 PM
I would be concerned about flex between the PVC pipe and the wood platform. This is likely to decrade the sound. You want absolute rigidity, hence welded steel is best. A (packed, fine) sand fill is good.

Regards from Perth

Derek

TassieKiwi
17th January 2007, 05:18 PM
Box up the shape you want, fix threaded ferrules to base for spikes, pour concrete in, place ferrules in top for bolts to speakers - sweeeeeet. Hey, I could sell this idea!:doh:

greenie512
17th January 2007, 10:42 PM
Guys – I totally agree with your comments/ideas about rigidity/structure/mass. Perhaps I should have said that this was a bit of fun for my second system in the office – slightly tongue in cheek. Yes if this was my main system I’d go out and buy a heavy rigid steel stand that I could fill with sand.

You may know that the 100 mm end caps have nibs on the outer side, these got sanded down so the caps sit flush on MDF base/top, so this could be glued as well as screwed for a tighter mechanical bond.

Harry72
18th January 2007, 07:47 AM
DIY quick'n'dirty nothing wrong with that...