PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic sheeting

Geoff P
30th May 2003, 07:24 AM
Hey all,
Could someone tell me where to buy Phenolic sheeting?
Is it readily available anywhere?

Geoff P

Geoff P
30th May 2003, 07:37 AM
Hey guys don't bother replying here I went to the site on the Forum that Wayne Davy's gave me and all the answers are there.
I have just remembered that I have a peice of MDF about 30 mm thick left from our kitchen renovations. It's about 550 mm sq. Maybe I can do something with that. It has laminex on one side.

Geoff P

mat
30th May 2003, 09:18 AM
Geoff,
If you want to buy a phenolic insert, the same as the one in Derek Cohen's picture, they are available from Jesada in Melbourne. About $70
They have a website www.jesada.com.au

xron
27th June 2003, 03:59 PM
Geoff,
In regard to your piece of MDF - I suggest that you laminate the other side too! My first table was just like yours. Worked well for years and then gave me errors. I traced this to the fact that it had developed a bow - the uncoated underside slowly absorbed moisture from the air while the top did not. Similarly I'd suggest that all exposed MDF - eg the edges and the rebate for the mounting plate be sealed using a two pack epoxy paint. Raw MDF absorbs mositure even faster and will eventually swell.

Regards

Geoff P
5th July 2003, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the tip XRON. This suggestion has got me to wondering if the piece I was going to use isn't already moisture effected. It's been sitting in my shed for years.
Geoff P