PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

benji79
18th January 2007, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, nothing too special but its my first one. Its from a Mallee?? burl. Finished with shellawax cream. I'm happy with the way it turned out, the form isn't that good but the burl was thin to begin with so i didn't know what else to do:roll: . Next time ill be working on more detail on the rim.

baxter
18th January 2007, 07:19 PM
First bowl rubbish. Too good for a first bowl, you must have a cupboard full that you have been practicing on.

Good shape and great piece of timber. Congratulations.

DJ’s Timber
18th January 2007, 07:27 PM
Well done on your first bowl

rsser
18th January 2007, 08:30 PM
Nice one! Lot better than my first.

Looks like NSW red mallee burl.

Gra
18th January 2007, 09:32 PM
Puts my humble first effort to shame, well done.:2tsup::2tsup:

Purpleheart
18th January 2007, 10:03 PM
Very nice piece. You should be well proud.:U

TTIT
19th January 2007, 12:29 AM
Damned if I'd have been game to use a chunk of Mallee burl for my first bowl :o Bloody nice job Benji.:U Nothing wrong with the shape either.:no:

Cliff Rogers
19th January 2007, 12:40 AM
Good one, nice piece of wood, you don't need much detail when you have a pretty piece of timber. :2tsup:

benji79
19th January 2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys, yeah it helped that the wood was so nice. Ive only tried a couple of goblets so far, they were ok but had a bit of trouble. For the bowl i went and got an oil stone and really sharpened the chisels. Made a HUGE difference.:2tsup:

hughie
19th January 2007, 10:52 AM
the form isn't that good but the burl was thin to begin with so i didn't know what else to do:roll: . Next time ill be working on more detail on the rim.

Looks damn fine to me as well. :2tsup: rim well, thats a matter of choice. But its true a good shape can be ruined by a bad rim. But I dont think you got a bad rim. :no:

ss_11000
19th January 2007, 01:40 PM
wow. nice bowl dude:2tsup:

Gil Jones
20th January 2007, 01:11 PM
Fine bowl, Benji, and a rather nice chunk of timber too.
Form is good, as is the finish.

Caveman
20th January 2007, 05:36 PM
Ditto the others comments. Wow:2tsup: , looks great - nice one - something to be real proud of! Look forward to seeing lots more of your work as time goes on.

Heck my first bowl was so ugly I doubt I could persuade any camera to get near it:B ! Still it has it's uses though - sits in the workshop holding nuts and bolts - a nice reminder.

Simomatra
20th January 2007, 06:05 PM
Damned if I'd have been game to use a chunk of Mallee burl for my first bowl :o Bloody nice job Benji.:U Nothing wrong with the shape either.:no:

Me neither still not game

Well done nice first bowl

Wayne Blanch
20th January 2007, 08:21 PM
For my taste I don't think that you needed to do anything else to that bowl. The wood is beautiful and therefore too much more may have detracted from it. A fantastic effort.:2tsup: I wish my first was as good as that:C

rsser
20th January 2007, 09:33 PM
When you've got a fine lump of timber like that the challenge is to get the optimum size when the dimensions are irregular.

With Benji's bowl you've got two bark indents which IMO disrupt the line of the rim.

You have some chance of avoiding this by careful measuring up and planning before you begin - this sometimes works - and at a minimum roughing out with a spur drive to see how things are going and repositioning the piece if necessary.

But as I said above, it's a nice piece of work.