PDA

View Full Version : How to turn hollow?

wooded
19th January 2007, 10:35 PM
I've had a look at a simple lathe at Bunnings (I have just discovered this type of machine, so gimme a break please, this is a technique I never heard of until two weeks ago...), and I was trying to figure out how to turn something hollow, like a bowl, or a cup.
But I cannot figure it out how that would be done.:~

As far as I can see on the pictures on the package of the lathe, there are two sides, in between which you can stick some piece of wood to turn. I get that part :q and see how you can turn that.

But how should you attach a piece to turn it hollow?
Should I attach that to one side or something?
Any info is welcome.

SawDustSniffer
19th January 2007, 10:48 PM
you'll need a chuck , to hold the timber by one end , yes looks sounds and feels dodgy

um , word of warning , the $100 lathes are the cheapest/ nastiest lathes on the market ,some say just plan old under engineered to an extent that there dangerous ,

the chuck will cost more than the lathe , bench grinder ,chisels ,timber and sandpaper could easily cost 2x as much , do your self a favor and search this forum for "GMC LATHE" (they make good sanders )

SawDustSniffer
19th January 2007, 11:01 PM
you will need a chuck to do hollow form , the gmc one is about $140 ,4 separate jaws , pain in the $^$%

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=43759&highlight=gmc+lathe a bloke in Perth is selling a GMC with chuck on this forum , he up graded , talk to him about the quality of the lathe ,you might get a good deal

what the crap is going on here ? no post , rewright it and the old ones there ???

arose62
19th January 2007, 11:06 PM
Hi Wooded,

what SDS said is right - to hollow, you need a way of FIRMLY hanging onto the lump of wood by just one end. That's what chucks (particularly "scroll chucks") are for. They depend on being mounted to a sturdy lathe to work properly, and the GMC really isn't sturdy. Like most others, my GMC is now only used as a sander, and if you search for MC900 or MC1100, you'll find info on what's probably the best beginner's lathe.

However... you *could* do some hollowing between centres by leaving a central pillar of wood, then breaking it out of the centre of your piece at the end of turning.
I use this approach with bowls, just as an extra safety factor.

Check your local library for books or videos on woodturning.

Cheers,
Andrew

dai sensei
19th January 2007, 11:14 PM
Get some books/video etc, join a club, even check out some mags at you newsagents, there is plenty of information available around. Also, check out the woodworking channel here (http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/), they often have good demos on wood turning and it is free.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2007, 12:14 AM
you'll need a chuck , to hold the timber by one end , yes looks sounds and feels dodgy

Not quite true. A chuck is one way of doing it and many people buy one right from the word go, but a good one is expensive. A cheap one is dangerous and causes more grief than it's worth.

A good alternative is to use a faceplate which is a disk that screws on to the drive shaft and then you screw your blank onto that. A faceplate is also the first step in learning to make jam chucks and similar devices, which is a very handy skill to have. Sometimes a jam chuck is the only way to safely mount a piece! (It's basically a piece of wood bolted to the faceplate, then hollowed out so your turning blank is "jammed in." )

Actually, chucks as used today are only a relatively modern invention while faceplates have been around for a long, long time.

Hint: if a lathe doesn't come with faceplate, removable drive spurs and appropriate spanners as part of the deal, it simply ain't worth buying. :wink:

scooter
20th January 2007, 11:36 PM
I used a homemade screw chuck for some experimenting, held on well.

Cheers...................Sean

michael74
21st January 2007, 09:58 PM
face plates and chucks work well,but i would recommend getting a chuck that when you tighten it all 4 jaws close at once so you have a central point. i had a chuck that you had to screw each knob up induvidially NO GOOD also had same cheap lathe from bunnings everything fine but hard to find right size replacement belt.good luck mate youll have heaps of fun:2tsup:

joe greiner
21st January 2007, 11:22 PM
Yes, but. Self-centering, or scrolling, chuck is the way to go for now. Sometime later (if ever), you may find the independent jaws convenient for eccentric turning. When/if, that is. Grizzly H8047,8,9 has 6" OD, at US$25 in their 2007 catalog.

Joe

Buzz
21st January 2007, 11:48 PM
Do your self a favour and go along to a woodturning club to have a look and meet a few people that will be happy to answer any questions. In WA we are lucky to have a very active association with groups scattered all around Perth. Go to: www.wawa.com.au

From the menu on the left, select "Groups" and find the one closest to you. Give the organiser a call and arrange to go along to one of their sessions to see what it is all about. If you join up (and become covered by insurance), you will be welcome to use their machinery and get some valuable tuition.

Then you'll know what you need to do the sort of turning that interests you.

Chris