PDA

View Full Version : Need Kama (Japanese hand sickle) Handles Turned in Melbourne

thumbsucker
21st January 2007, 09:31 PM
Hi - I am looking for someone who can turn the handles (I am not setup for turning) for a Kama (Japanese Hand sickle) out of Red Ironbark - wood will be supplied. The handles measure 450 mm long and are straight along the length and flair only at the bottom to be no more 50 mm in diameter. Original kama model can be supplied for reference.

I am looking for between 6 to 10 handles depending on cost.

See this photo for example of a wooden Kama. The only difference will be that the bottom is flared for better handling (i.e. does not slide out of your hand).

http://www.samurai-gallary.com/kusarigama01-1.jpg

If anyone is interested and lives in Melbourne can you message me with details and possible costs.

It would be much appreciated.

DJ’s Timber
22nd January 2007, 01:05 AM
Can do them if no one local is available, have sent PM

hansp77
22nd January 2007, 03:18 AM
I will ask my partners father if he would like to do it.
He is retired now, lives in Abbotsford, is a wiz turning wood, and a perfectionist to boot.
Maybe you could PM me with the sort of price you are looking for.
Other than that I will just tell him the details and see how he feels.
I suppose I can assume you would drop off and pick up?

By the way, they look really nice.

Hans.

EDIT- if you want you could PM me your phone number and I will pass it on to him.

Ikkyu
22nd January 2007, 09:23 PM
Thumbsucker,

I've done round handles before with a block plane spokeshave and sandpaper I don't know if this will help you but it works and you don't have to look for someone to turn it but then again turning would be faster :)

thumbsucker
23rd January 2007, 06:59 PM
Ikkyu - I thought of that but I just want it fast and uniform - It looks like djstimber is going to doing it for me, for the price, its much better turned.

thumbsucker
23rd January 2007, 11:13 PM
It looks like djstimber will be turning them for me - $10 to $15 each, seems fair. I will post some photos of the Kama as soon as I have something to show from djstimber.

thumbsucker
23rd February 2007, 11:19 PM
I would just like to say that djstimber :2tsup: :2tsup: he has done an excellent job, and I would recommend him to anyone.

Plus he is a genuinely nice guy. Well recommend.

Photos coming soon.