PDA

View Full Version : Using Tree Roots

WoodyKnot
22nd January 2007, 11:57 AM
G'day folks, Have an interest in turning so just startin out.
Just wondering if anyone knows if one can use tree roots for turning and if so, which species is best? Do they have a tendency to split while working them, and as most of us know, they're not real straight so the balance is effected, Yes/no?

Onya's n thanx.
Mark.

TTIT
22nd January 2007, 01:14 PM
I've turned one item from the root of an unknown tree that was ripped up in a cotton paddock out here. Beautiful rich red colour - no idea what it was though :shrug: I've also seen some Budgeroo root burl turned that was positively stunning. As long as it's wood, it's worth a shot and I think you'll find the root timber will behave very much the same as the rest of the tree.

joe greiner
22nd January 2007, 02:46 PM
Most definitely worth a shot. Roots actually seem less susceptible to splitting. Probably more uniform moisture distribution. Wild and crazy grain patterns in the stump area. A lot of work to excavate; absent heavy equipment, best way is to have a teenage son or grandson.:D

Joe

Caveman
22nd January 2007, 05:44 PM
G'day Mark,
I turned this 'thing' from an actual root of an acacia. Turned out ok - interesting grain. (This was my first attempt at a box a year or so ago.)This was from a straight piece of root about 100mm diameter. I suspect an actual stump will be a whole lot more challenging - I guess this is what you are looking at doing.

Tony Morton
22nd January 2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Mark

As others have said you can turn roots I have turned red cedar white beech rosewood malley and have seen briar rose root turned in England when i was there.

Cheers Tony

Cliff Rogers
22nd January 2007, 11:49 PM
The only problem I know of with roots is rocks.... because they spend most of their life underground, they do sometimes pick up a rock or 2.
Some people recommend pressure cleaning them before turning to help get rid of the grit.

Little Festo
23rd January 2007, 02:36 AM
The only problem I know of with roots is rocks.... because they spend most of their life underground, they do sometimes pick up a rock or 2.
Some people recommend pressure cleaning them before turning to help get rid of the grit.

Right Cliff,

But can have sand, earth and rocks embedded in the wood BUT still worth turning. I have turned African Mahogany roots and have a African Mahogany "root system" waiting to be turned, also some black wattle.

I have attached a pic of some African Mahogany that I turned a year or two ago. It was slightly rotten and the colour had changed quite a bit, a magenta and brown, but is quite interesting none the less. I have the rest of the root system tucked away. I cleaned it with a pressure hose BUT my poor chainsaw hit some serious grit but it was worth it in the end.

Peter

bobsreturn2003
23rd January 2007, 10:47 AM
stumps , roots are really good ,usually magic grain , sand and rocks are hard on your tools . and root may need some creative thought ,to work out whats in there. what shape can be found . try some . you will soon find out if it works for you . cheers bob

WoodyKnot
23rd January 2007, 11:28 AM
awesome pieces of work there u blokes. They remind me of the colours of an opal at times. I been dozin some trunks out at a mates place, mainly stringy bark timber and the odd ironbark tree/stumps. I know of the grit/stones and sometimes old bones that the roots have picked up along their life. Can't get my hands on those great burls as someone else has beaten me to them so ah well the next best thing will be the roots.
Thanx guys for ur input, will have to think hard about wat to make without stuffin it up.
Onya cobbers,
Mark.

OGYT
24th January 2007, 10:52 AM
Haven't turned any. But have made some bandsaw boxes out of Peach root. It's prettier than the burl.

Ironwood
24th January 2007, 01:13 PM
http://mt1.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif heres one I turned some time back. It's made out of a red cedar root. its meant to look like a port bottle with lable. There's a flat on both sides

La truciolara
24th January 2007, 06:40 PM
heres one I turned some time back. It's made out of a red cedar root. its meant to look like a port bottle with lable. There's a flat on both sides
Lovely colors and the flats do look like the lable.
Dig you carve the bottle? :U

Ironwood
24th January 2007, 08:13 PM
Lovely colors and the flats do look like the lable.
Dig you carve the bottle? :U

It was turned on the lathe.

soundman
24th January 2007, 10:24 PM
Tree roots... hel yeh:2tsup:

worth taking the chance, the grain can be spatacular, sometimes booring as snot. But the good ones OH YEH.:let:

worth the risk, there might be sand & rocks..... but the good ones Oh YEH:aerobics:

cheers