PDA

View Full Version : An interesting site.

dopeydriver
24th January 2007, 09:57 AM
I'm sure you blokes have checked this site out before , but reading "small boats" I was prompted to check out www.gartsideboats.com (http://www.gartsideboats.com) .
Some nice looking boats , to my eye at least.
Rob J.

dopeydriver
24th January 2007, 11:41 AM
After looking over the Gartside boat site , yep , I really liked the look of the motor sailer boats , that look a lot like our Sthn style fishing/cray boats.
Reading and talking to Garry Kerr about the old style boats , the deck was usually home to a boat or 2 , plus assorted other gear , and it made me wonder (again) , on getting an old sound Fishing boat that is built more to sailing lines , setting her up to sail more , with a boat on the deck.
And the cost of the old Aussie boat would only be a fraction of having something comparable built .
Of course it would depend on having a sound boat to start with , and maintaining it properly , but for cruising about , living aboard for long periods , doing a bit of fishing and exploring , having the old boat , and a handy boat on deck seems to show some promise.
Any comments ?.
Rob J.

Shedhand
24th January 2007, 11:47 AM
One of my most enjoyable weekends on the water was with a mate of a mate who had, as a retirement project, tarted up an old mid cabin Huon Pine and King Billy cray boat. It had a great galley, plenty of room to sit and play crib and bunks for 6 people, a head and a shower. We just fished with our rods, drank a moderate amount of beers, caught a couple crays and played crib at night after our magnificent fish curry. What a trip. No wimen, no kids and no bananas. :D He sold it for a song when he got too ill to use it. Wish I'd bought it. :(

dopeydriver
24th January 2007, 12:53 PM
Sounds good to me too !.
I'm just figurin' that some of the old boats that were more of the sail era might go pretty well under sail , well good enough , and if they are sound to start with , with proper maintenance will see me out !.
And if I have it set up that I can lift a boat off and on to the deck easily enough , then I can get to places that the big boat can't.
I'm not figurin' on racing , just sneakin' about , doing some fishin' , checkin' out the coast a bit.
I reckon there is more than enough to keep me quiet for a long long time.
And I don't reckon we have to look far to get just the right boat either shedhand.
Now , what sort of boat should I have on deck do you reckon ?.
I reckon a little diesel motor sailer would be fine.
Any thoughts ?.
Rob J.

Shedhand
24th January 2007, 01:32 PM
Sounds good to me too !.
I'm just figurin' that some of the old boats that were more of the sail era might go pretty well under sail , well good enough , and if they are sound to start with , with proper maintenance will see me out !.
And if I have it set up that I can lift a boat off and on to the deck easily enough , then I can get to places that the big boat can't.
I'm not figurin' on racing , just sneakin' about , doing some fishin' , checkin' out the coast a bit.
I reckon there is more than enough to keep me quiet for a long long time.
And I don't reckon we have to look far to get just the right boat either shedhand.
Now , what sort of boat should I have on deck do you reckon ?.
I reckon a little diesel motor sailer would be fine.
Any thoughts ?.
Rob J.I'd just go for a little punt with a fore mounted electric motor. Very handy for tight spots where the fish are.

Wild Dingo
24th January 2007, 02:54 PM
Paul and Barbara Gartside have been designiing boats for many years first in England now in Canada... great people with some terrific ideas... Pauls plans are bloody awesome detailed to the nth degree and he has a good grip on what level of builder should attempt one of his designs... he doesnt say you cant build the ones with "advanced" levels of ability he just recommends it if its a particularily difficult build the intermediate levels and beginner levels are reletively easy builds most opting for the beginner level designs.

Lucky for me Ive had the privalige of knowing them through the internet and emails for some years... Great people great designs :2tsup:

I particularily like this one...

http://www.gartsideboats.com/pgimages/109Best2.jpg
30ft Gaff Cutter

and this one...

http://www.gartsideboats.com/pgimages/steam.JPG

20ft fantail steam launch

But they have many sweet designs... thanks for getting me back to looking at them I can feel a wee email heading their way again :roll: And here I thought I was over it too!:doh:

dopeydriver
24th January 2007, 03:08 PM
Hmm , ask them what they would recommend for an electric powered boat to put on the deck of their 45 ft motorsailer Dakota !.
Rob J.

dopeydriver
24th January 2007, 06:33 PM
Looking through the Gartside site , they have an 11 ft plywood tender (no 120) , with a standing lugsail.
Its supposed to be an easy build , and I'm wondering if a battery box could be built in around the daggerbox housing for a couple of batteries for a trolling motor , if needs be.
It could be kept on the deck of a crayboat , and provide me with a tender , and also something to sail closer to shore , and fish.
Any comment ?.
Rob J.

dopeydriver
24th January 2007, 11:29 PM
Try doing a search for " Black River Boats " Shedhand , very impressive fishing boats , wood , electric powered.
Rob J.