PDA

View Full Version : Concrete saws

grob
3rd June 2003, 10:49 AM
I need to cut about 100mm off a concrete slab. The slab is 100mm thick and about 7 metres long and contains steel.
What is the best tool to hire to do the job?
Some of the TV shows (Ground Force etc) suggest a wet saw. Does this cut steel as well as concrete?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pulpo
3rd June 2003, 11:09 AM
A concrete saw from Kennards about $120 for the day.

Do not break the blade, no side way movements. (expensive)

Yes this will cut concrete and reinforced steel.

I think wet is better for the blade it keeps the dust down, however there is still a lot of mess created from the water.

They are like a chain saw except have a cutting disc.

You may be able to get a professional to cut it for you for around $150 ( guess) if a straight line as well as a straight edge is required this should be considered.

You could also hire a saw from Kennards that is on a trolley which would cost more but holding the saw becomes a lot easier.

Depends on how precise a finish is required.

I have used an angle grinder or a circular saw to score the top surface and with a sled hammer and crow bar to break the concrete as well as some bolt cutters to cut the steel reio and or a angle grinder.

The angle grinder or circular saw gives a straight edge.

Concrete is very heavy this is no easy task, although straight forward there is some hard yakka involved.

Enjoy

Cheers

Pulpo

Neo
3rd June 2003, 01:23 PM
My next door neighbour recently cut part of a bessa block wall with a hired 2 stroke wet-saw. He said if he had to do it again he would get someone else in to do it. The fumes and the mess and the noise and the vibration nearly killed him, he reckoned. Get a couple of quotes and see how they go.

Cheers

Pat

journeyman Mick
3rd June 2003, 11:41 PM
Demolition saw (chainsaw motor with 14" diamond blade) is the weapon of choice here, not sure of hire cost (I own one) but hire generally doesn't include wear on diamond blade, they usually measure blade size with a micrometer b4 and after hire. Diamond blade will cut through steel like hot knife thru butter. Is the steel going to be exposed to the elements? This could be disastrous, steel will rust & expand & cause concrete to spall. If you own a 9" grinder you can buy a segmented diamond blade for about $100 (or you could last time I looked) which will do the job no problem and then youll have the blade next time you need it. You can also use it in a 9" saw if you're not planning to do any "good" work with it after. Hope this helps,

Mick

soundman
5th June 2003, 11:37 PM
If it was a short bit of cutting Id agree with the hand held quick cut but 7 metres at 100MM thick is a lot of hard yacka

I'd get a bloke in with a full size self propelled machine look under concrete cutting in the yellow pages.

grob
7th June 2003, 10:02 AM
Thank you to all who replied. I hired a 14 inch "quick cut" wet saw from Dargils for $100 (including tax etc) for 4 hours. Did the job perfectly and I had the saw back within a couple of hours. Took me 10 minutes to get the hange of it but once started in the groove, the weight of the saw did most of the work.
And I only creamed one of the wife's plants so I'm not in too much trouble!!
Thanks again.