PDA

View Full Version : Not a boat..but

Shedhand
25th January 2007, 05:33 PM
I know its not a boat but it floats. I want a boogie board (so I can exercise my bad legs and hips in the sea). I've looked at what the kids ride at the beach and don't like 'em much. Styrene foam looks cheap and nasty so I thought I'd make one. Shouldn't be too difficult.
I have some nice King Billy Pine and Huon Pine. Can anyone give me some clues as to how to go about it or draw me up a plan of some kind?. I've never tried my hand at this sort of thing. Could I fill it (for flotation) with that expanding foam in a can from the hardware shops or would it put too much internal pressure on the structure?

Wood Butcher
25th January 2007, 06:05 PM
Not sure if its the same thing but I think Boatmik had some plans for a surf ski type thing?? Have a look at his website and see if it would do the job?

bitingmidge
25th January 2007, 07:33 PM
You mean like this??

http://www.surfstix.i12.com/images/body1.jpg

http://www.surfstix.i12.com/ click on "body boards"

There's enough detail on the site to show you how it's made, shaped foam, balsa perimeter, etc.

Get hold of a body board (or do a search for dimensions) there's a ton of stuff out there, then copy the shape.

It's another one of my "projects on hold":D

P

Pat
25th January 2007, 08:01 PM
Sheddie, what about when you wipe out. The shark biscuit may look purty, but with 6 to 8 coats of fibreglass over the wood it will be a unmanned missile tethered to your wrist. I have been hit by my own surfboards from 6'8" to 9'4" and they all hurt. Get a soft styrofoam one for your own and other speed bumps (targets:U ) safety.

By all means go out and make one, but until you are confident that you can control it in a wipeout situation . . . And by the way, you would not be able to use it in a "Flagged" area as explained above.

PS I use to ride speed bumps when it was either too big or shallow to ride finned boards :surfing:

Shedhand
25th January 2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the link Midge. :;

Sheddie, what about when you wipe out. The shark biscuit may look purty, but with 6 to 8 coats of fibreglass over the wood it will be a unmanned missile tethered to your wrist. I have been hit by my own surfboards from 6'8" to 9'4" and they all hurt. Get a soft styrofoam one for your own and other speed bumps (targets:U ) safety.

By all means go out and make one, but until you are confident that you can control it in a wipeout situation . . . And by the way, you would not be able to use it in a "Flagged" area as explained above.

PS I use to ride speed bumps when it was either too big or shallow to ride finned boards :surfing:
Are you crazy Pat?? :C I'm talkin the beach - as in no waves higher than 3 inches. I can't swim at all. In fact no one will believe it when I tell them that when I try to swim i sink straight to the bottom. I just can't float. So I'll be using my work of art to paddle up and down the parallel length of the beach. :no:

Pat
25th January 2007, 08:49 PM
Sheddie for a minute there I thought you were actually seriously considering becoming shark bait, but it turns out I overstepped the mark, yet again. So cruising the shallows, avoiding the holiday makers as you exercise your pins sounds good . . . but I would atill us a foamy as the wooden beauty will get bleary heavy after a while and we are talking about helping you, not hurting you.

Will there be any seals near you ? ? ? :U

Shedhand
25th January 2007, 09:04 PM
Sheddie for a minute there I thought you were actually seriously considering becoming shark bait, but it turns out I overstepped the mark, yet again. So cruising the shallows, avoiding the holiday makers as you exercise your pins sounds good . . . but I would atill us a foamy as the wooden beauty will get bleary heavy after a while and we are talking about helping you, not hurting you.

Will there be any seals near you ? ? ? :UI'm gonna seal my ears, nose mouth and bumhole so i don't fill up and drown. :C

ernknot
25th January 2007, 09:05 PM

Will there be any seals near you ? ? ? :U
Na, he is going to be flathead bait!