PDA

View Full Version : Another Elm Bowl

Old Arn
26th January 2007, 02:42 AM
I turned another bowl from a piece of elm. This one had a bark pocket in it and made for an interesting piece.

This one was a little scary to turn, it was the first time I have turned anything with holes and bark in it, but somehow I got it completed without busting it to pieces.

It's sanded to 1000 grit and finished with CA and Blow. The bowl is 3 1/2 inches tall and 4 wide, the walls are 3/16 thick but the pic makes it looks thicker. If you look at the hole of the left side of the bowl the wall looks thicker but that's because the edge of the hole is sloped, the hole of the right side shows it more accurately.

I would love to hear your thoughts on it. I like the looks but my wife and daughter are undecided.

Gil Jones
26th January 2007, 05:00 AM
Very good-looking vase, Shane.
The wood is beautiful, and the finish looks silky-smooth!

ciscokid
26th January 2007, 05:22 AM
I like it. I like an occasional flaw in my wood. Makes it look more natural.

joe greiner
26th January 2007, 02:25 PM
Really, really nice! Tell your wife and daughter to listen to the jury.:wink:

Joe

DJ’s Timber
26th January 2007, 02:27 PM
Very nice

OGYT
26th January 2007, 03:28 PM
Just tell the wife and daughter that with time their eye should improve :o)
I think you did a bang-up job on it. My wife likes it, too. The wood is beautiful. Finish looks superb. Well done, Mate.

Caveman
26th January 2007, 04:55 PM
Great job Shane - ditto the others comments - looks real nice. Looks a lovely wood to use.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th January 2007, 08:25 PM
'Tis a lovely piece of wood and your form shows the feature well.

I can well imagine that turning it would've had the adrenaline pumping, especially for a first time! Well done, tell the girls they'd best see an optometrist ASAP. :wink:

hughie
26th January 2007, 09:54 PM
[

would love to hear your thoughts on it. I like the looks but my wife and daughter are undecided.

Shane,

The form is good, dont worry about the thickness.Good choice of timber and the ''holes'' only add to the overall effect.

For a second effort, its a damn fine job. :2tsup: way better than my early efforts. Actually its a darn good effort 2nd, 3rd, 33rd or whatever. :U

As for the women.....sigh... maybe they will catch the bug.

Doc Ron
27th January 2007, 03:13 AM
To quote somebody on another forum -- if it won't hold soup, it is art. Pretty piece, well made, well finished. :coolio:

Wayne Blanch
27th January 2007, 07:06 PM
Bloody lovely!:2tsup:

BernieP
27th January 2007, 07:15 PM
G'Day Shane

Very nice, and finished beautifully.

Cheers
Bernie

RufflyRustic
27th January 2007, 09:12 PM
HiYa Shane!!

That is one very FINE elm bowl! I think you are well on your way to turning some lovely pieces, especially if this little darling is your second turning :2tsup: :2tsup:

Can't wait to see more of your work. As for the other two, don't give them any of your work until they say they absolutely love it !!!!

In the meantime, I'd be happy to oblige you with a bit of storage space :D

cheers
Wendy

TTIT
28th January 2007, 12:17 AM
Lovely piece Arn - your family obviously have no taste!:; - shouldn't let it worry ya.:2tsup:

rodent
29th January 2007, 10:47 AM
Looks great you managed to keep the natural look and still get a good finish two things .In all thoughs nooks and crannies use a tooth brush to clean up the polishes i use an electric and standard one . two with a dark object alight back ground and a light object a dark to neutral back ground . now after i get over this flu ill have to go get some lumpy bits of wood to turn .