PDA

View Full Version : Shop Layout Revisited

ticklingmedusa
27th January 2007, 05:14 PM
Can anyone share information or resources on laying out a shop
efficiently from a space and function perspective? I'm in a one car garage, have a couple of bench mounted lathes, tablesaw, drill press, bandsaw, etc. Except for the lathes everything is mobile.
My handtools are in upright rollaway boxes.
I do all my work from a wheelchair, and I spend a fair amount of time moving machines from one place to another to access a tool or material.
This is an ideal time for me to work out a better floorplan because
I'm insulating & drywalling 3 out of 4 walls ( 4th wall is already framed & plastered ) Fiberglass & drywall will also cover the inside of the roof.
I'm thinking about a dust collector, enclosed to keep the noise down,
better lighting, more electrical outlets, storage in the form of
both shelving & drawers and some more benchtop areas.
I consider myself to be pretty new at all of this and I'm sure there must be stuff I'm missing.
What works for you?
What doesn't?
In Feb. my local woodworking society is sponsoring a shop
tour at the local California Vets Home. According to the flyer
the average user is 75 years old and the facility is ADA (americans with disability act) compliant.
I hope to learn a great deal there that I will be able to apply
to my own shop but my project is starting now so I'm looking
for ideas now and especially ideas from fellow turners.
Thank you in advance for all replies.
tm

Jim Carroll
27th January 2007, 07:26 PM
Use the same principle as setting out a kitchen

The three main componets in a kitchen are sink, fridge and cooker and they are set in a triangle so you are not moving too far from one to another.

If you work out which 3 tools you use the most and set them in a triangle it may make getting from one to the other easier, then you put the complimentary tools near the main ones.

The lathes are fixed so work around them as your starting point and the others are on rollers so it will be a matter of moving around to see what works for you.:2tsup:

hughie
27th January 2007, 09:39 PM
for ideas now and especially ideas from fellow turners.
Thank you in advance for all replies.

Thats good advice from Jim, keep it simple with the key elements close. I have my turning bench on wheels due to space considerations, makes it easier on clean up :U and I will be having my dust collector on wheels as well. Due to its size.. it will be sitting on a 44gal oil barrel as the main collector, noise is not as issue rather space is :C :U....single car garage......sigh, temporary state of affairs but still it will like that for several months, so I can sympathize with you.

Doc Ron
28th January 2007, 04:39 AM
TM
I also use a one car garage. My layout has some inefficiencies as well, but they come about from the need (according to SWMBO) to put the car in during these cold northern Ohio nights. You can take a quick look at my web site. All but the lathe and mitre saw are on wheels.
SHOP (http://www.rchamberlin.com/shop/shop.html)

rsser
28th January 2007, 06:53 AM
See if it's legal/practicable to have your power leads drop down from the ceiling.

Also consider foil concertina 'batts' rather than f/glass - most heat transfer is radiant and bulk insulation just turns into a heat sink if your climate is anything like mine. OK in winter but not in summer.

ticklingmedusa
28th January 2007, 05:13 PM
Use the same principle as setting out a kitchen

The three main componets in a kitchen are sink, fridge and cooker and they are set in a triangle so you are not moving too far from one to another.

If you work out which 3 tools you use the most and set them in a triangle it may make getting from one to the other easier, then you put the complimentary tools near the main ones.

The lathes are fixed so work around them as your starting point and the others are on rollers so it will be a matter of moving around to see what works for you.:2tsup:

Thats good advice from Jim, keep it simple with the key elements close. I have my turning bench on wheels due to space considerations, makes it easier on clean up :U and I will be having my dust collector on wheels as well. Due to its size.. it will be sitting on a 44gal oil barrel as the main collector, noise is not as issue rather space is :C :U....single car garage......sigh, temporary state of affairs but still it will like that for several months, so I can sympathize with you.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks Jim & Hughie, I'm thinking my unholy trinity will be lathe, grinder and small
bandsaw to begin. The second lathe will figure in also as a frequently used
complimentary machine so maybe my triangle will evolve into a square.
The DC is coming. I've been using a shopvac connected to a dust hood
over the piece and it works well. I was thinking an upgrade would
be good because it would be stationary. I'm still thinking pros & cons.
Thanks,
John

tm

ticklingmedusa
28th January 2007, 05:28 PM
TM
I also use a one car garage. My layout has some inefficiencies as well, but they come about from the need (according to SWMBO) to put the car in during these cold northern Ohio nights. You can take a quick look at my web site. All but the lathe and mitre saw are on wheels.
SHOP (http://www.rchamberlin.com/shop/shop.html)

I looked at your photolink Doctor.
Nice shop, wise use of space.
With your Reznor heater what kind of safety
precautions and hazards. I.e., settling dust or finish fumes?
Im in S. Cal and this year I cant get out to the shop because its been
a cold winter here with nights in the 30s & 40s. I must be getting old dammit.
I'm probably going to start with a small space heater.
Thanks,
tm

ticklingmedusa
28th January 2007, 05:45 PM
See if it's legal/practicable to have your power leads drop down from the ceiling.

Also consider foil concertina 'batts' rather than f/glass - most heat transfer is radiant and bulk insulation just turns into a heat sink if your climate is anything like mine. OK in winter but not in summer.

Ern,
The power lead idea is the type of thing I was hoping for.
I wanted more outlets but bringing them down is something I hadn't considered.
The fiberglass insulation was an xmas gift from my coworkers at the museum.
Last year I turned bowls & hollow vessels for all of them, so I'm sort of stuck with it and grateful. My brother stapled up the last of it today. I'm hoping its better than seeing daylight through the cracks and feeling the draft.
In the summer I park a box fan right behind my back.
tm

Doc Ron
29th January 2007, 07:49 AM
With your Reznor heater what kind of safety
precautions and hazards. I.e., settling dust or finish fumes?

No special problems for the heater, tho I am cautious. If working with large amounts of solvents, the doors are open - obviously weather limited. 7degrees F the other night (SCal - Hah - sissies. My sons in Woodland Hills and Tarzana complain when it gets down to 50):D
Fine dust is collected by one of those box-type collectors, plus the main DC for point of origin collection. I inspect the heat exchange fingers in the Reznor, but so far (4 years) no significant build-up of dust on them, and easy enough to swab or blow them out if needed.
Ron

Buzz
29th January 2007, 12:10 PM
One thing I would suggest with a workshop layout is to have your working positions at the machines so that you see people entering the workshop.

I had occasion recently to discuss with my wife the wisdom of her coming up behind me and attracting my attention by tapping me on the shoulder while I was using the bandsaw to dock small pieces for pen blanks. Obviously with earmuffs on, I did'nt hear her approach!

Regards, Chris

ticklingmedusa
29th January 2007, 03:15 PM
No special problems for the heater, tho I am cautious. If working with large amounts of solvents, the doors are open - obviously weather limited. 7degrees F the other night (SCal - Hah - sissies. My sons in Woodland Hills and Tarzana complain when it gets down to 50):D
Fine dust is collected by one of those box-type collectors, plus the main DC for point of origin collection. I inspect the heat exchange fingers in the Reznor, but so far (4 years) no significant build-up of dust on them, and easy enough to swab or blow them out if needed.
Ron

We have had frost for over a month. Leaves on banana trees & other tropicals are burnt. Citrus crops are festering.
I get cold easy, wear a sweatshirt all year long. I'm missing out on toolrest time because I'm shiverin' me timbers. All that wood out there crying out for a good spinning and
heres me curled around this monitor inside. :cool:
Thanks,
tm

ticklingmedusa
29th January 2007, 03:19 PM
One thing I would suggest with a workshop layout is to have your working positions at the machines so that you see people entering the workshop.

I had occasion recently to discuss with my wife the wisdom of her coming up behind me and attracting my attention by tapping me on the shoulder while I was using the bandsaw to dock small pieces for pen blanks. Obviously with earmuffs on, I did'nt hear her approach!

Regards, Chris

I agree with you Buzz, I've had similar things happen when people sneak in
on me. Present setup has the lathes oriented toward the door.
Good tip.
Thanks,
tm