PDA

View Full Version : Advice on W.I.P.

BernieP
28th January 2007, 06:38 PM
G'Day All

Originally was going to burn two decorative rings on lip of campour Laurel bowl, but once I began turning, a fair amount of pattern appeared and now am of two minds any suggestions?

Cheers
Bernie

ss_11000
28th January 2007, 07:01 PM
wow. nice bowl so far mate. IMO i rekon that you dont need to burn camphor....

cheers

Wayne Blanch
28th January 2007, 08:12 PM
I reckon that with that bit of wood, considering the colours etc burning would detract from the finished product. I like the nice clean lines as it is.:D But thats just my opinion, it really comes back to what YOU think would suit it best.:?

All in all it is a nice piece, well done:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th January 2007, 10:03 PM
I agree: the form shows off the grain very nicely, it's a nice bowl.

Possibly someone with a truly artistic eye could add some detail to enhance what's there without making it look cluttered... but personally I'd leave it just as it is. :wink:

TTIT
29th January 2007, 09:54 AM
I find most 'enhancements' just get lost on timber like that. Better to leave it as it is I reckon :shrug: Nicely done Bernie.:U

ptc
29th January 2007, 09:56 AM
it speaks for its self.

Doughboy
29th January 2007, 09:57 AM
I like the KISS method. Nice bowl and lovely grain.

Leave it and be happy, burn it and be happy. Live and learn.

Pete

Little Festo
29th January 2007, 10:47 AM
Hello Burnie,

I agree with the other comments. If you were desperate to burn the rings on you could try bleaching the outside - not too sure if camphor bleaches well. This might accentuate the colour of the inside BUT I'd stick with what you've got :2tsup:.

Peter

Cliff Rogers
29th January 2007, 11:38 AM
Not decoration needed, the grain & colour don't need it. :wink:

I (just me & my opinion) would have made the foot a bit smaller.
I aim for about 1/3 the overall diameter.

BernieP
29th January 2007, 12:05 PM
G'Day All

Thanks for all your suggestions, have decided to go with no lines and perhaps do another one later with plain grain and try burning rings.

Cheers all
Bernie

OGYT
29th January 2007, 03:41 PM
I don't think you'll be disappointed in your decision to not burn the lines. This wood is beautiful... you've gone with the best grain layout... beautiful bowl...
Sorta follow Cliff on the foot.
Nicely done, though.

joe greiner
29th January 2007, 11:56 PM
Too many "design features" can make appreciation confusing. I say you're already home free with that bee-yoo-tiful wood.:2tsup:

Joe