PDA

View Full Version : One man band....

TTIT
30th January 2007, 11:19 AM
Spent a bit of time using the Stubby before working out how I wanted to set everything up and now I've finally got all my clutter back at my fingertips where I like it! My little sanding tree is back on top of the headstock and the new tool rack (pic 1) is in about the same spot that I had it on the MC900 and the mounting holes are slotted so that on the rare occasions I want to mount the auxillary bed, I only have to loosen 2 bolts to remove the rack (or leave it on and just remove the tools :shrug: ).
I couldn't put the chisels below the bed in front of me like I had them on the MC900 so I had to come up with the rack in pics 2 and 3. I never liked the idea of reaching across the work to get the chisels but noticed many of you guy's have your chisels behind your lathes so I went for that idea with the ability to swing it around to the end of the bed when I want to get in at the back with the power sander (pic 5). I just attached the rubber strip (pic 4) to keep the chisels in place better last night as a bit of an experiment - was worried that if I bumped the rack somehow it was a long way for the chisels to fall and too easy for my foot to cushion their fall:o :B. When I eventually get some type of castors under the beast to move it around the shed, I can lift the chisel rack off and it can 'standalone' on the bench, floor or whereever!. The rack also doubles as a light-stand extension for my desk-lamp so I can aim it into hollows better now and I've also got my air-blower on a skyhook above the lathe so I'm not getting tangled in hoses anymore.
The only time I have to turn away from the lathe now is to get more wood! Gotta be worth the effort.:U

TTIT
30th January 2007, 11:23 AM
A bit more detail on the power sander. I was running out too many batteries on the Hitachi and wanted something more versatile - works real good except the el-cheapo drill from Bunnies makes a hell of a racket - must be the granite bushes or something:o:B:C.
Note the beautifully crafted Inland Rosewood knob !!!!:U

hughie
30th January 2007, 12:16 PM
A bit more detail on the power sander. I was running out too many batteries on the Hitachi and wanted something more versatile - works real good except the el-cheapo drill from Bunnies makes a hell of a racket - must be the granite bushes or something:o:B:C.
Note the beautifully crafted Inland Rosewood knob !!!!:U
[/QUOTE]

Vern,

Got one of the same rattly old set of bearings buts it still goes :U:U Have been gonna do the same but have yet to get around to it. The only variation I was going to hang over the chuck sorta like a dentist set up.
I have my tools the other way up, points down handles up , never thought of doing the other way. :? :U

Never the less a darn good setup, especially the tool setup on the right hand side.Might borrow the idea in the future.

David L
30th January 2007, 12:27 PM
Well done TTIT thats one nice setup

RufflyRustic
30th January 2007, 12:35 PM
It's too clean!!!! :p :D

OGYT
30th January 2007, 12:55 PM
Awesome ideas, knob's a beaut, tool rack ...as we say here, "aced it"... and the little rack for your necessities - priceless.
Good on ya, Vern..
May copy the little priceless bit.
Wendy's right... it is too clean. ('bout time I get to hit someone for this.) ;o)

Hickory
30th January 2007, 02:40 PM
Looks to be as handy as a pocket on a shirt. :2tsup:

Thanks for sharing that with us.... Here's a greenie :D

ss_11000
30th January 2007, 02:47 PM
great set up....is the chisel stand just like a music stand????

cheers

Rookie
30th January 2007, 03:12 PM
Nice set up TTIT. I will shamelessy steal the idea for both the tool rack and the gadget holder. At the moment I regularly pick the chuck key up off the floor where it falls and put it straight back where it falls from. The rest of the gadgets are in a drawer against another wall.

Thanks

BernieP
30th January 2007, 03:17 PM
G'Day TTIT

Thanks for great pics and ideas, a few I intend to pinch, including using a broom.

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th January 2007, 03:22 PM
Nice idea on the rack, but I don't think I'll steal it. My tools are in a couple of free-standing racks within a couple of paces of the lathe. Not as convenient as yours, but they cured me of the bad habit of using 50 different tools to turn one piece. :- Now I only use two or three I select at the start, but I use them to their full abilities.

Already have a similar gizmo rack....so that means t'only thing I'll pinch is your power sander concept.

I must be slipping! :oo:

Caveman
30th January 2007, 07:13 PM
Hey TTIT - great stuff - super ideas - thanks for sharing.

Twinnie
30th January 2007, 08:36 PM
i like the power sander idea but i can't say it'll last long, you see i used to work in the tools section of bunnies and we saw lots of those come back, one of them even through sparks! well you have a year warrenty on it, enjoy.

as for the rack and other bits good job but i'm also not a fan of reaching over the work to get a tool you'd have to stop it every time.

Matt

Wayne Blanch
30th January 2007, 09:14 PM
Nice set up TTIT. I will shamelessy steal the idea for both the tool rack and the gadget holder. At the moment I regularly pick the chuck key up off the floor where it falls and put it straight back where it falls from. The rest of the gadgets are in a drawer against another wall.

Thanks

I love the tool rack and I also find that I am constantly looking for the chuck key, but in my case it is usually found dead center under the lathe and under several inches of shavings!:doh: So I think I might be infringing your patent as well.:U

Tell the truth you only cleaned up the shed so that Al wouldn't feel so left out:shiny:

TTIT
31st January 2007, 09:09 AM
i like the power sander idea but i can't say it'll last long, you see i used to work in the tools section of bunnies and we saw lots of those come back, one of them even through sparks! well you have a year warrenty on it, enjoy.

as for the rack and other bits good job but i'm also not a fan of reaching over the work to get a tool you'd have to stop it every time.

MattWHAT :o Are you insinuating that my very expensive, high quality $14.95 drill might be slightly unreliable (as well as noisy and smelly!):C:doh:..........

No furries! I only bought it to see if the idea of using the flexible shaft was any good and wether or not a variable speed drive was necessary. As it turns out, I reckon I could get away with one speed so it might be getting mounted on a small washing machine motor when the drill dies (or sooner - gawd it makes a racket!:o).

hughie
31st January 2007, 10:24 AM
WHAT :o Are you insinuating that my very expensive, high quality $14.95 drill might be slightly unreliable (as well as noisy and smelly!):C:doh:..........

I suspect that, that gentleman is taking the proverbial out of both of us. The impudence of it all!.
I have my fine XU1 drilling machine now for nearly two years, running faultlessly. Hmm well, although its becoming necessary to wear ear plugs due the bearings :U:U