PDA

View Full Version : Planer Moulder

Fred
7th June 2003, 09:25 AM
I have just found this forum and have been reading through it since about 4am this morning. Great site.

I have been reading up on thicknesser/planer.

I am looking to purchase a portable unit and until yesterday, after all my research, was going to purchase the DeWalt unit (DW733). That is until I found the CT236 Planer Moulder.

Has anyone had any dealings with this unit? It is sold through Carbatec at $1095 with a set of 9 assorted blades for $299.

Regards, Fred

journeyman Mick
8th June 2003, 12:00 AM
I think you should buy the thicknesser moulder, mainly because I'm just up the hill from you and I'd like to see this machine in action, I wouldn't mind getting one myself!

Mick

atseasick
8th June 2003, 04:15 PM
Hi Guys

Not sure if this helps out but this is the same machine you maybe able to chase some information on google about it.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=117-443

Cheers
Andrew.

echnidna
24th August 2004, 09:05 PM
Fred or Mick,
Did you get a planer moulder and if so whats the verdict?

journeyman Mick
24th August 2004, 11:35 PM
I don't know about Fred, (I might've scared him off :o ) but, no, I didn't.

Mick

Fred
6th September 2004, 10:04 AM
Hi Boys

Sorry fella's for the late reply, haven't had much time for the net lately.

I did end up buying the Carbatec Planner Moulder. I can't compare it to other units as I have only used this one.

When I first purchased the unit I used it on some oak. After only probably 20 l/m the unit was struggling, the blades were blunt. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed. I contacted Carbatec and they were great. They advised me that the blades that come with the unit are of a low percentage tungsten steel. They sent me some new blades and they did last longer.

I haven't had much to do with the moulding side of things yet (project coming up soon) however, the couple of practice runs I put through were impressive.

To date I have put through quite a few lineal metres and have found that it needs a bit of a hand to feed the timber. Possible cause is that I have never used any friction reducer on the adjustable table (within the unit) that the timber slides on. Any suggestions? The unit probably need adjusting as well. Just isn't enough time in the day!

Mick - If you are ever down in Gordy, drop in and have a look.

Regards, Fred.

echnidna
7th April 2005, 09:12 PM
Hi Fred,
You've had the machine for a while now so what do you think about its moulding work?