PDA

View Full Version : Feb '07 pen swap

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st January 2007, 10:23 PM
Just checking to see if we have a donor for this month?

If not, Touchwood and myself will make a joint effort. :) Won't be anything particularly fancy (after all, who can compete with Toni's effort? :D) but it'll be wood.

So, who is in and who is out for February?

Toni? Could you send me (or whoever else comes forward as donor, if anyone) a copy of your list for January?

Touchwood
1st February 2007, 12:18 AM
Well, no surprise here, I'm in for Feb ...

...too much fun to miss out ... although mutters of Pen Turners Annon. have been heard in this house lately ...

JD

:D

lubbing5cherubs
1st February 2007, 12:40 AM
will do and i am in to please
Toni

DJ’s Timber
1st February 2007, 08:13 AM
I will pick mine up, so that's one less on postage

Terry B
1st February 2007, 10:45 AM
I'm in thanks Skew

ss_11000
1st February 2007, 11:03 AM
feb is pretty busy so i'm out.....

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st February 2007, 04:47 PM
OK, so here's the list as far as I know it...

Confirmed:me: SkewChiDAMN!! Touchwood Lubbing5cherubs TerryB DJSTimber SS_11000 (out)

Unknown status:Monty Stuart Dai Sensei John Saunders(??) Fireman Sam

Hopefully that's not all? :oo: If you're on the "unknown status" list and want to play this month, please let me know ASAP! Similarly, if youre not on either list and wish to join in, then PM me with your mailing details and I'll add you in. :)

Looking through my list of past swaps, I still have the mailing addresses for:Tassie Boy Dazzler SkewPID Sir Stinkalot FXST BrindOg Have they dropped out of the swap? Pity.

Fireman sam
1st February 2007, 04:56 PM
Iam in thank you :2tsup:
Andrew

DJ’s Timber
1st February 2007, 05:20 PM
Confirmed:

DJSTimber

Unknown status:

John Saunders(??)

Skew these 2 are the one & same person :U

BernieP
1st February 2007, 06:08 PM
G'Day Skew

Sorry mate thought I had put my hand up for Febuary, so will take over if you like. Would appear they took more than my brain tumor out ( like memory, ability to work, thermostat etc.,) but as a substitue I found woodturning, and the best load of people around. Certainly have received more from this forum than anything I can give back.

Await your answer Skew and sorry to hear about the fire.

Cheers
Bernie.

dai sensei
1st February 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm in :U

Simomatra
1st February 2007, 09:14 PM
G'day Skew or whom ever is the donor this month

Count me in I will be home toward the end of the month.

I can put my hand up for the April one if thats ok with every one just need to know early as I will be away by the last week in March

Stuart
1st February 2007, 10:27 PM
I'd love to be in, but I am a few months behind :B
So if you are willing to send me some, I'd love to add it to the ones still to do, but as I am not holding up my end of the bargain, I'd be fine if I was skipped.
Can't believe how much time a little one takes up! :o

BernieP
2nd February 2007, 11:43 AM
G'Day Skew

I'M in will PM you particulars.

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd February 2007, 09:35 PM
Skew these 2 are the one & same person :U

:D There was a reason for my inclusion of the (??) :wink:

So if you are willing to send me some, I'd love to add it to the ones still to do, but as I am not holding up my end of the bargain, I'd be fine if I was skipped.
Can't believe how much time a little one takes up! :o

I'll count you as in. :)

G'Day Skew

I'M in will PM you particulars.

I'd only just replied to your PM before reading this thread and spotting that Simomatra has offered for April. If you wish, I can send you the mailing details I've collected so far and you can take over carrying this month's torch. Or you can defer until... May? Your call. :)

Current Participants:me: SkewChiDAMN!! Touchwood Lubbing5cherubs TerryB DJSTimber SS_11000 (out) Stuart Dai Sensei Fireman Sam Simomatra BernieP

BernieP
2nd February 2007, 09:51 PM
G'Day Skew

I'm it for May then, but sounds silly but can you remind me.

Cheers
Bernie.

Stuart
2nd February 2007, 11:20 PM
:D I love timber, even if it takes me some time for it to tell me what it wants me to do with it! Need to get some tuition from Wendy.

soundman
3rd February 2007, 11:16 PM
count me in. I'm a a month behind too but you get that.

cheers

rodent
4th February 2007, 03:52 AM
Skew can i have a go at this too because ive just cleaned up th work shop straightened out the band saw put a new belt on the linisher and i just got rid of u know hoo . il see you to day in the after noon .

Humber
4th February 2007, 10:55 AM
Similarly, if youre not on either list and wish to join in, then PM me with your mailing details and I'll add you in. :)

Hello Skew,
I'm a new member and would like to join in if that's ok. I'm also new to pen turning, but find it interesting, particularly with the way various types of timber finish. My name is Kerry Hartley (male) and my address is xxxxxxxxxxxxx. Could you also explain what is required (in simple terms - for a novice) please?
Regards
Humber :U

Touchwood
4th February 2007, 12:38 PM
Could you also explain what is required (in simple terms - for a novice) please?
Regards
Humber :U[/QUOTE]

I have just copied and pasted this as it seems a frequent (and rightly so) question asked :

The original idea was posted by Dazzler a way back (search this forum pen swap - poll for more of the history). The idea has evolved a little and runs something like this:

A generous body sends to people on the pen swap list 2 wood blanks suitable for pen making (this has lots of flexibility and has been known to include thin slices for laminating, more than 2 blanks etc).

This person has the POWER and selects the theme. The theme creates a challenge IMHO as it is interpreted in as many ways as there are pen people!

The pen swap people (PSP) then have to the end of the month to create their two pens based on the theme. They then photograph said pens and post pics at the end of the month for all to see. Originally there was a vote for best pen, but this to has evolved and currently there is no voting, only comments given by anyone who cares!

One of the pens is then to be sold and the funds donated to charity. PSP hold onto the pens and organise the selling bit OR forward them to someone who has access to a charity sale point. Much discussion has been had re the selling and charity types - see the sticky on the pen forum re this. Currently some have a stock pile of pens, while other pens have been forwarded and sold.

Hope this helps

JD:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
4th February 2007, 12:39 PM
Humber mate, can you tell me what your avatar is?
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th February 2007, 04:19 PM
I'm a new member and would like to join in if that's ok. I'm also new to pen turning, but find it interesting, particularly with the way various types of timber finish. My name is Kerry Hartley (male) and my address is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Could you also explain what is required (in simple terms - for a novice) please?

It looks like you're in, too. :)

I really, really, REALLY don't recommend publishing private details, such as telephone numbers or home/postal addresses in a public forum like this. Not only are there "bots" that automatically harvest such info for spam mailing lists but there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there...

This is why I asked for a PM instead. (In case you don't know, PM = Private Message and can be sent by clicking on the name (in the box to the left of their msg... ie. over there <------ :wink: ) of the person you want to send to... )

Welcome to the Swap!

Stuart
4th February 2007, 06:20 PM
I've removed the address - good pickup there Skew.

Humber
4th February 2007, 08:27 PM
I have just copied and pasted this as it seems a frequent (and rightly so) question asked :

Hope this helps

JD:2tsup:[/quote]

Thanks JD.:U

Humber
4th February 2007, 08:29 PM
I've removed the address - good pickup there Skew.

Thanks Stuart :-

Humber
4th February 2007, 08:37 PM
I really, really, REALLY don't recommend publishing private details, such as telephone numbers or home/postal addresses in a public forum like this. Not only are there "bots" that automatically harvest such info for spam mailing lists but there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there...

This is why I asked for a PM instead. (In case you don't know, PM = Private Message and can be sent by clicking on the name (in the box to the left of their msg... ie. over there <------ :wink: ) of the person you want to send to... )

Understood .... new to all this forum stuff. :-:-:-

Welcome to the Swap![/quote]

Thanks.
Have looked at some of the pictures of pens you guys have turned - they look great -
I'll probably end up embarrassing myself (again) - but - you have to start somewhere. :-:-:-:-

Humber
4th February 2007, 08:47 PM
Humber mate, can you tell me what your avatar is?
Toni

Hi Toni,
Yes. It is a photo I took inside Wombeyan caves. They are caves which have been carved out of the marble in the area by water over many centuries and are located about an hours drive north of Goulburn in NSW.
Regards
Humber

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th February 2007, 12:05 AM
OK folks, wood is bundled and ready for mailing on the morrow. :)

They comprise of a blank of Blackwood and either a blank of Tas. Myrtle or a "mystery Oak." (When I felled the tree, already long dead & without foliage, I was told 'twas a Wisteria... but the first cut with the saw proved that false. :rolleyes: ) The ones with Myrtle also have a sliver of "Oak," the ones with "Oak" have a sliver of Myrtle. Who will receive what, I've no idea whatsoever: they were bundled before addressing. :D

A theme? Oh dear... how does "Organic" sound? :p

Current Participants:me: SkewChiDAMN!! Touchwood Lubbing5cherubs TerryB DJSTimber Rodent Stuart Dai Sensei Fireman Sam Simomatra BernieP Humber MOnty Soundman

Anyone I've missed? :?

PS: Simomatra & Soundman, could you PM me your mailing addresses? I've two unaddressed bundles sitting here waiting... :D

Humber
7th February 2007, 08:05 PM
Great idea for the packaging skew, received mine in the post today thanks. "Organic" theme? Oh boy! Well, we will see.
Regards
Humber.

quote=Skew ChiDAMN!!;455875]OK folks, wood is bundled and ready for mailing on the morrow. :)

They comprise of a blank of Blackwood and either a blank of Tas. Myrtle or a "mystery Oak." (When I felled the tree, already long dead & without foliage, I was told 'twas a Wisteria... but the first cut with the saw proved that false. :rolleyes: ) The ones with Myrtle also have a sliver of "Oak," the ones with "Oak" have a sliver of Myrtle. Who will receive what, I've no idea whatsoever: they were bundled before addressing. :D

A theme? Oh dear... how does "Organic" sound? :p

rodent
8th February 2007, 12:51 AM
organic skew ? youve been at the salad again , or just vegetating. PS .you'll have too stop that it might be bad for you. lol

Terry B
8th February 2007, 03:30 PM
Skew
Mine have turned up. Very good. Lots of tape on them:)

Touchwood
8th February 2007, 08:35 PM
My pigeon must have been well fed this time ... mine are here!!!

JD

DJ’s Timber
8th February 2007, 08:41 PM
My pigeon must have been well fed this time ... mine are here!!!

JD

Yours must have overtaken mine and feed him a slow pill at the same time too, still waiting on mine, then again Skew might be holding onto mine to pick up

lubbing5cherubs
8th February 2007, 08:42 PM
Your pidgeon must flew your way first. I am still waiting
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2007, 01:10 AM
then again Skew might be holding onto mine to pick up

A-yup. You did say... :D:D

I'm surprised at how quickly some of 'em got through though! Someone must've eaten their Wheeties.

rodent
9th February 2007, 04:50 AM
So skew how ??? do you turn a weetbick or do you just glue a whole lot of weeties together ?

Stuart
9th February 2007, 01:23 PM
Think I got mine pretty much the next day - snail mail isn't always :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2007, 07:24 PM
So skew how ??? do you turn a weetbick or do you just glue a whole lot of weeties together ?

Now there's a thought for something different! It'd need stabilising though... I wonder which'd be better: CA or resin?

lubbing5cherubs
9th February 2007, 07:46 PM
Gidday Skew it arrived today. Gorgeous. Thanks
Toni

Fireman sam
9th February 2007, 08:57 PM
hi skew
mine arrived thusday they look great :2tsup:
thanks Andrew:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2007, 10:49 PM
A friend dropped in today and spotted the spares (in case there's a late starter) sitting on my bench... and promptly started digging the elbow in. "Saving on postage, eh?" :rolleyes:

My apologies if anyone finds them a bit small... but they're from my private stash, so were cut for me... and I am a bit of a scrooge when it comes to getting as much usable timber out of a given log as I can. :-

I've faith that all of you will be able to get two pens out of them without serious drama. :v:

DJ’s Timber
9th February 2007, 10:55 PM
A friend dropped in today and spotted the spares (in case there's a late starter) sitting on my bench... and promptly started digging the elbow in. "Saving on postage, eh?" :rolleyes:

Hope he didn't get into my pieces :C :U

dai sensei
10th February 2007, 01:19 PM
Got mine today Skew thanks.

I remember in the first couple of rounds the stamps were only a couple of dollars, but noticed for the last couple of swaps the postage has gone up considerably, or is it just my imagination?

Thinking about next month :o :C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th February 2007, 01:44 PM
I don't think the postage has changed... from memory that's what I paid last time 'round, too. :(

However, I think that size has a fair bit to do with it; our PO lady tries to slip it through a hole in a card and if it don't go then she weighs it and charges according to some table. I'm pretty sure that if it does fit the slot, it only costs a $ or two.

Stuart
10th February 2007, 05:25 PM
Might be worth considering - for the sake of a mm or so, could save significant $$

DJ’s Timber
10th February 2007, 07:26 PM
I have spoken to the PO about this and the story goes, if it's wrapped in paper or cardboard and is taped up, it's classed as a parcel and will cost $3.80 even if it is less then 20 mm thick which is the maximum thickness for an envolope.

If it's in a envolope and less then 20mm thick it will cost $1.

That is till the next price rise which is coming soon in March I think

dai sensei
10th February 2007, 10:26 PM
I have spoken to the PO about this and the story goes, if it's wrapped in paper or cardboard and is taped up, it's classed as a parcel and will cost $3.80 even if it is less then 20 mm thick which is the maximum thickness for an envolope.

That is till the next price rise which is coming soon in March I think

Thanks for that DJ. I have cut my blanks at 20mm, might have to send them through the bandsaw again at 18mm :roll:

Touchwood
11th February 2007, 10:03 PM

I too, headed for the PO to find out once and for all, DJ is quite correct, but I'll add that it needs to rectangle in shape, so some thin card to support the shape (ie so they don't fall about) might help.

I too, will now send my 20 mm tuart back through the bandy!

JD

soundman
12th February 2007, 09:55 PM
The post office documents mention nothing about the method of packaging.
I have sent a number of packages using large letter both domesticly and international.
They are fussy about it going thru the standard article guage without impediment.
You can get a standard article guage from the post office by asking.

Yes the package must be a regular rectangle and conform to certain measurements.

I have rapped using 50mm masking tape.

I would cut at 18mm, the smoother the cut the better and the closer all blanks are to the same size the better.

cheers