PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box and Bowl Turned From Walnut

Gil Jones
2nd February 2007, 11:36 AM
Georgia Walnut.
The lidded box is 80mm hi X 55mm wide (finial is Oak Burl and Brass),
and the bowl is 90mm hi X 146mm wide. There is a large, natural void in the side of the bowl.
Both are finished with lacquer and buffed smooth.

lubbing5cherubs
2nd February 2007, 11:47 AM
Gil that chain looks very effective. Nice Job
Toni

Gil Jones
2nd February 2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Toni. Next time you are in WR, look at the "Lidded Form Challenge", the box was my challenge and trade piece.

TTIT
2nd February 2007, 02:12 PM
Luvly stuff Gil.:U Nice color in the timber you used and the chain is a nice touch.

OGYT
2nd February 2007, 03:37 PM
Truly nice! I really like that little foot on the bowl... looks elegant.

Wayne Blanch
2nd February 2007, 04:54 PM
Gill, once again great work,:2tsup:

ciscokid
2nd February 2007, 09:45 PM
The finish on the bowl positively glows! I LOVE walnut! Nice job.

lubbing5cherubs
2nd February 2007, 10:15 PM
I found it at WR
still looks cool.
Toni

BernieP
2nd February 2007, 10:24 PM
G'Day Gil

Very nice.

Cheers
Bernie

joe greiner
2nd February 2007, 11:33 PM
Most nifty, Gil. The bowl looks like about 2-3mm thick; a little thinner, and it'd make a nice lampshade. Have you sent the box yet? Or will it be your show & tell Tuesday? (I hope.) Must've taken a bit of fiddling to get the chain length at the bottom just right. And the brass finial: I'd guess a tenon on the brass, mortise in the oak would be easier, but reverse would work too.

Joe

Gil Jones
3rd February 2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks to you all for the generous comments. Walnut is a smooth cutting wood, and while the open pores can be a pain to fill, it will accept a very smooth finish. The wood can be plain like the wood I used in these two pieces, but it is also capable of visually stimulating flames, quilting, and shimmering chatoyance. Joe, the lidded box is long gone to its new home, but I will bring the bowl Tuesday. The bowl is varies between 2mm and 3mm, and it was turned on 07 December of 2004 (in my 5th month of learning to turn, so there are some errors). The box finial is mortised to take a tiny brass tenon.