PDA

View Full Version : Ern I got it!!

Wayne Blanch
3rd February 2007, 10:05 AM
I made this hollow vessel last night (Up late on the lathe again) It is my first. I received the Munro Hollower yesterday in the mail from Vern. Thanks for being so quick mate:2tsup: . And it was a hoot to use. I still have a lot to learn though. The walls are not as thin as I would have liked:(( , about 8mm but with practice I should improve.

fred.n
3rd February 2007, 11:02 AM
Great effort for the first attempt Wayne!!
Look forward to seeing more of your work:2tsup:

masoth
3rd February 2007, 12:31 PM
Wowee!
What wood and finish have you used? How long did it take? I ask that because it's obvious you know turning.

soth

OGYT
3rd February 2007, 02:02 PM
First attempt? Wow! You're doing well. That Munro is one tough little tool. Digs through endgrain like a coal miner.
Keep it up. Don't hesitate to stop and re-adjust the guard until you get it cutting like you want it to.

Gil Jones
3rd February 2007, 02:20 PM
Wayne, that is an excellent piece, especially for your first try at hollow forms.

DJ’s Timber
3rd February 2007, 07:10 PM
Very nice :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
3rd February 2007, 07:23 PM
beautiful job. Nice lidded dish
Toni

Wayne Blanch
3rd February 2007, 07:37 PM
Wowee!
What wood and finish have you used? How long did it take? I ask that because it's obvious you know turning.

soth
The wood is She Oak the finial (my first by the way) is Kwilla. It was sanded to 1000 grit, EEE cream a coat of Shellawax cream and then one of shellawax.

I think that it took me about four and a half hours from start to finish. And I enjoyed every minute.
Thanks for all the nice comments!:B

TTIT
4th February 2007, 12:31 AM
Nice job Wayne.:2tsup: Bugger of a shape to clear the shavings from eh? What diameters are your lid and vessel?

Wayne Blanch
4th February 2007, 09:46 AM
Nice job Wayne.:2tsup: Bugger of a shape to clear the shavings from eh? What diameters are your lid and vessel?
Thanks TTIT, The vessel has a diameter of about 150mm and the lid is 38mm.
Yep it was fun trying to get all the shavings out. Was okay up till I could no longer comfortably get my finger in there, then I tried blowing it out:(( You would think I would learn - Yet another face full of shavings. :doh: I am going to have to get a little compressor if I can get it with out SHMBO noticing.:rolleyes:

I ended up using a bit of curved 8 guage wire to scrape the worst of it out.

ss_11000
4th February 2007, 07:59 PM
top job wayne:2tsup: