PDA

View Full Version : Using Quilla timber for pepper mills

lawee
3rd February 2007, 06:33 PM
I was looking at woodprojects.com and decided to have a go at making a couple of pepper mills. So I ordered a couple of different ones from Carbatec and started the project. Instead of making an ordinary peppermill I followed an idea I saw on the project website and made it in the shape of a winde bottle. I checked and inserted a piece of tallow for the label and turned a scrap piece of American Oak for the top of the bottle [where the cork is usually covered with plastic] I gave it a quick polish and is looks ok [pictures to follow once I get it back from the missus] I gave the inside bore a wipe using some of Gillies wax - is this ok to use to seal the inside of the pepper mill? Hope you can offer some wise words....:U

lawee
3rd February 2007, 06:38 PM
http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot530.shtml

ozwinner
3rd February 2007, 06:42 PM
Isnt Kwilla the same as Merbu?

If it is I dont think I would use it for a pepper mill as the tannins tend to leach out of it.

Al :)

Wayne Blanch
3rd February 2007, 07:47 PM
I turned a set of salt and pepper mills a couple or three years ago out of Kwilla and we have been using them ever since. We have had no problems with them at all. I find it to be a good timber to turn, it is pretty hard and you need to keep the tools sharp but generally I like the stuff.
The only problem with them is that I was verrrrrry new to turning when I did them, and they are not even close to being a matching pair.:((

DJ’s Timber
3rd February 2007, 08:17 PM
I don't seal the insides at all, just leave em as is

Wayne Blanch
3rd February 2007, 10:12 PM
I don't seal the insides at all, just leave em as is
Thats what I did and no problems:2tsup: