PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the block (of wood)

bosco555
6th February 2007, 08:58 PM
Hi there everyone,

New here, and just finished a beginner's lathe course. I don't even know if I am in the right forum, so please forgive me. I would like to know nonetheless, where in Perth I could get some wood to turn. I know I can get some pine at Bunnings, but for something a bit better than pine????

Thank you and best regards

GB

lubbing5cherubs
6th February 2007, 09:18 PM
welome to the board. Be careful turning is very addictive and the lathe is the cheapest part
bye Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th February 2007, 11:19 PM
Keep an eye out for hard garbage days, kerbside logs and the like.

That's if any of the other turners in your area have left any behind... :wink:

hughie
7th February 2007, 12:27 AM
Also make friends with your local Arborist/tree lopper. They will keep you in timber for ever :U watch out as they can get carried away and bury you.

Cliff Rogers
7th February 2007, 12:40 AM
Green waste pile at the local dump... you'll need a trailer, a chainsaw & a bigger shed. :D

Wild Dingo
7th February 2007, 01:16 AM
welcome aboard mate!!
Keep your eye open on the forum for "aussie turner" hes a young fella up in the northern suburbs if anyone can lead you to some good timber and fill your noggin with all things turning its young Joash :2tsup: Bob could help to I reckon hes a handy sorta bloke in Perth

Me Im down south so...

Anyways all the best post some pics and be welcome :2tsup:

Wayne Blanch
7th February 2007, 03:35 PM
Welcome Bosco,

Another suggestion is if you hear a chainsaw in your area, go and ask if you can have some. I have even stopped the car with all the family in it and asked people for wood that was laying around their yards. The kids kept on complaining that they didn't like nursing it all, but I think they were just kidding:D

Otherwise you can do what I did - We used to have heaps of trees in the yard:U . Now we only have the ones that SHMBO reckons are sacred and if I cut em down I may lose more than a tree.:(( What can I say I like lawn.:cool:

Gil Jones
7th February 2007, 04:35 PM
Welcome GB

Touchwood
7th February 2007, 06:56 PM
Hi GB
last time I was in Timbecon (John St Bently) they were clearing their wood - no longer going to stock. They were also handing out a buisness card of a wood supplier. A good way to get a variety, but it costs money.

I would definitely take the advice given by previous posts as 'pick up' wood costs much less!

Sometimes cabinet makers and the like are generous it you know them or check out salvage yards, but wtch out for nails and the like!

Welcome aboard, your life will never be the same!

JD

BernieP
7th February 2007, 07:54 PM
G'Day GB

Good to have you on the forum, enjoy.

Cheers
Bernie

bosco555
7th February 2007, 08:52 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks a million for all the replies and for making me feel welcome in here. We (my 15yr old son and I), just bought an mc900 from Carba, packaged with turning tools, etc. Reading from the posts, it's a decent lathe, and yes, life will never be the same..what the heck, you only live once...will keep an eye open around my area, and also visit the disposal site/s. Actually we have one just about 5km from where we live, thanks for the tip, (excuse the pun), hehe..

Well, will keep certainly in touch and thanks again to all

regards

bosco

rodent
22nd February 2007, 02:29 AM
Watch out after storms to it's amazing how many trees come down.