PDA

View Full Version : GMC scrollsaw

Suresh
13th June 2003, 10:03 AM
Bunnings in Melbourne has the GMC scrollsaw, 16" throat, for $55. I don't have a bandsaw, however I was wondering if a scrollsaw like this is suitable for cutting and shaping up to 1" pine for childrens toys.
Any input is appreciated.
Suresh

Sir Stinkalot
13th June 2003, 11:34 AM
I saw one yesterday at Bunning and was very tempted to bring out the Visa. At $55 it seems like it will be worth while even if it gets little use. I refrained from the purchase as I couldn't find out their regular price ... it may be $69 after the sale which doesn't warrant splashing out straight away. Another turn off for me was the fact that I was speaking to a scrollsaw user and they said that they do most of their work on the bandsaw.

I think it may be worth a shot .. although cheap I have had very good service from GMC repairs (you may need it in the two years) and for teh asking price it wouldn't take long to get $55 value out of the unit .....

I don't think I have answered your question about the pine but I may have talked myself into a GMC scrollsaw :)

Stinky

Dean
13th June 2003, 01:14 PM
I've got a Delta scroll saw, and I regularly use it to cut intricate shapes out of 3/4" pine.

You can use a bandsaw as well, however, a scroll saw will make it easier to cut tighter angles and more intricate patterns than the bandsaw will.

And of course, the bandsaw cannot cut inside circles or shapes. You cannot feed a bandsaw blade up through a pre-drilled hole like you can with the scroll saw.

fxst
13th June 2003, 10:03 PM
at $55 I would jump at it
I have a hegner scrollsaw but the gmc is a great 2nd machine for roughing out
go for it

Geoff Sims
14th June 2003, 01:19 AM
I recently bought one of the GMC scrollsaws for $49 from a local Mitre 10 store. Didn't really have a use for it at the time, but at the price, I couldn't resist adding another toy to the workshop.

Since I bought it, I'm surprised at the number of times I've used it for all sorts of little jobs. It's already been a great investment.

Haven't had any problems. It does what it's intended to do, and does it well.

Go ahead....lash out. You won't be disappointed.

Regards
Geoff