PDA

View Full Version : me first burl turning

beginner
8th February 2007, 12:47 PM
I just turned this bowl up today and i was very pleased with it. i got the design off of the woodworking channel. its a burl i off some sort of eucalypt i dont no exactly which one though. it turned out great in my eyes. its finished whith shithot wax and then a quick rub of shellawax for a more shiney finish. please let me know what you think.

39852 39853

photos are a bit bad but i coulndnt get my hand on a camera at the moment.

cheers, Jack

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th February 2007, 02:01 PM
Novel form!

It's shapes like that which get my fingers itching to have a poke inside to see if you hollowed the rim as thinly & evenly as the sides... or just rounded it out. :D

OGYT
8th February 2007, 02:20 PM
Was thinkin' the same thing, Skew!
I like the bowl, Jack. I like the wide undercut rim, too. My wife likes the tapestry/table runner.
Good job.

Cliff Rogers
8th February 2007, 02:26 PM
That is one of my favourites.
I do a few closed forms like that & I do get in under the rim.
The trick is in sanding it smooth once it is undercut.
I stitched a bit of velcro base to the tip of the index finger of a cotton glove so I can stick a bit of sandpaper on it.
So I don't get my finger broken or torn off, I slacken the belt off on the lathe, set it on a low speed & hold the hand wheel with my left hand & turn the lathe on with my right hand.
I momentarily stall the lathe spindle with my left hand & stick my sanding finger in the hole & the slowly release my left hand holding it ready to stall it again at any time.
I go through a couple of grades to get rid of any roughness so that when somebody like Skew sticks his finger in there for a feel, they are impressed with what they find. :2tsup:

beginner
8th February 2007, 04:33 PM
the inside of the bowl isnt the same shape as the outside because the only things i have to hollow are a skew gouge, a round nose scraper and a parting off tool.

hughie
8th February 2007, 11:17 PM
Jack, Have a go at getting or making something like this. It'll get around corners real easy.

I like the shape. Its a bit adventurous for a first one. Well done.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2007, 01:18 AM
the inside of the bowl isnt the same shape as the outside because the only things i have to hollow are a skew gouge, a round nose scraper and a parting off tool.

Good job, just the same. I wasn't being critical, just saying that's one of the forms I just can't help picking up for a closer look. :D

tashammer
9th February 2007, 02:29 AM
Jack, Have a go at getting or making something like this. It'll get around corners real easy.

I like the shape. Its a bit adventurous for a first one. Well done.

If you hold the 2 steel bits with the wooden bit sticking out in front of you sometimes you can locate water. It's a multipurpose tool.

Evan Pavlidis
9th February 2007, 05:59 AM
Jack you've done very well for your first bowl and a difficult task being an enclosed form. You'll become more adventurous and addictive as time passes; enjoy the ride. :2tsup:

Cheers, Evan

Doc Ron
9th February 2007, 09:09 AM
Nice job, Jack. I turned my first burl recently, but not an ambitious closed form like that.
Doc Ron