PDA

View Full Version : A Few Turnings

Little Festo
9th February 2007, 09:23 PM
Here are a few turnings. I rushed the photos a bit, got an almighty fright, the flash unit started crackling and smoke issued forth from the units innards - must have been a bug or somthing as the unit worked ok after shutting down and restarting. The unit was in storage for about 7-8 months.

These are some of my smaller pieces as I haven't set up the large light tent as yet.

The first is a black wattle bowl for the local woodcutter, he has supplied me with some interesting wood.

Next a wavey rimmed black wattle bowl

Next a small Sally wattle pot, with spaulted sapwood - was going to be firewood - Jumped the gun a bit with this one - no finish on this piece yet, just realised this after checking the images after I posted it.

Next a carved Gmelina form

Last another piece of firewood - Sally Wattle

Peter

Twinnie
9th February 2007, 09:32 PM
i love the carved form that must have taken a while

Matt

DJ’s Timber
9th February 2007, 10:17 PM
:2tsup: They all look great

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2007, 11:09 PM
I like the natural edged piece. Sure, most of the work is done by nature but getting the best out of it takes some skill. :2tsup:

Not too rapt in the carved form, but that's just me. :shrug: Don't forget to show the spalted bowl again after you've finished it, that's gonna be one nice piece when finished. Kudos to you for spotting it's potential and saving it from a fate worse than... well... as bad as... errmm... of(?) burning. :D

joe greiner
9th February 2007, 11:50 PM
I like them all. Usually something good hiding inside most firewood. Too bad we can't turn all of it, but I guess we have to leave something to burn.

Joe

Caveman
10th February 2007, 12:26 AM
Super stuff Peter - really nice. I like the lot! Amazing what's lurking in the firewood pile, waiting to be released.

TTIT
10th February 2007, 12:55 AM
Beautiful pieces Peter! I'd like to see the spalted piece with a finish on it too - didn't realise Sally wattle would do that.
How do you keep the bark on the Sally wattle? All mine peels off while drying :C

paul collins
10th February 2007, 01:48 AM
very nice peter,tried spalted only once,being stupid didnt wear a mask.. hence never again,just my own silly fault.but they all look great.

Gil Jones
10th February 2007, 06:14 AM
Peter, very well done, I like them all!!!
Beautiful wood, and a great save too.:2tsup:

ptc
10th February 2007, 09:48 AM
all up to your great standard.
like the fire wood ! one best.

OGYT
10th February 2007, 11:00 AM
Peter everyone of these should be a money maker... that is, if you sell turnings.... if not, they should keep your better half happy! :D
I really like the shape of that first one, but I know it's difficult to do, and make it right. You done it.
Natural edged bowl seems right on, too. I like the foot... gonna have to try that.:p
Nailed the form on the spalted piece. Forgot the finish, eh?:doh: I hate it when that happens.:U
The carved piece... :oo: :D :o :2tsup: :2tsup: Bloke, that is awesome! Elegant simplicity, beautifully done. Wish I knew how to pronounce the timber. :B That piece begs to be held and admired... hmmm, that remark reminds me of a shiela I once knew... :;
Like the form and the neck on that last one... I think I'll give that a try, too.
All in all, some mighty beautiful work... stick your chest out, Mate.:D

Wayne Blanch
10th February 2007, 02:29 PM
Peter,
What Al said only with an Aussie accent!:D I like the whole lot you have excelled. I look forward to seeing the spalted piece finished Great work:2tsup:

La truciolara
11th February 2007, 06:31 AM
Little Fresco
I love your wavy bowl. SUPERB!
Though the orhers are far from not being real nice too :;

tashammer
11th February 2007, 09:38 AM
Lovely work, especially the wattle vase; the wood is beautiful all on its own, but the shape is just perfect, it really has the most beautiful profile.

Little Festo
11th February 2007, 10:11 AM
Beautiful pieces Peter! I'd like to see the spalted piece with a finish on it too - didn't realise Sally wattle would do that.
How do you keep the bark on the Sally wattle? All mine peels off while drying :C

I turned the piece wet and I "dabbed" thin CA glue onto the bark. That piece is Black Wattle.

I used an organ oil product, Woodguard on the outside - http://www.organoil.com.au/woodguard/index.html - on the outside, anyone else used it?? then their hard burnishing oil and some Ubeaut natural wax to buff up. I imagine imagine it will need some attention later as the timber dries.

Peter