PDA

View Full Version : Busy week

benji79
11th February 2007, 04:10 PM
Well ive been busy this week, these are a few of the bowls ive made this week.

1. first 2 photos are of red malee burl, love this wood, finished with EEE.

2. These 2 photos are of my sasafras bowl, i tried something different here, tried to slope the top edge and leave it thick, not to sure if i like it but my wife loves it and wont let me give it away. Love this wood and I am definatily getting more of it, just the smell of it while turning is great.

3. The next pic, I have no idea what the wood is, my dad cut it from a dead tree on the south coast of NSW, any ideas? Its 35 cms wide. Not to sure how to finish it:? , its got small holes all over it, so i was thinking about some kind of oil?

Hope you like them.

Benji.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th February 2007, 04:30 PM
Gotta love that burl, eh? :D

Bowl #2 looks too thick to me, but if SWMBO loves it then leave it alone. Some things aren't worth arguing over. :wink: A word of warning; the black lines in Blackheart Sassafras are caused by spalting. It's a lovely wood, true, and enjoy the smell all you like but I heartily recommend that you use a dust-mask as well! Fungal spores and nice warm and moist lung tissue aren't a healthy mix.

Timber #3: you sure that wasn't a burl too? Certainly looks like it to me...

lubbing5cherubs
11th February 2007, 04:30 PM
all very nice. I love the first one and the last one. Very nice
Toni

DJ’s Timber
11th February 2007, 04:35 PM
Nice work, also agree with above 1st and 3rd look great and 2nd too thick

Gil Jones
11th February 2007, 04:47 PM
Benji, I like the first bowl a lot; fine form, and lovely wood.
The Sassafras bowl is interesting with a good rim/edge. My personal idea would be to square the sides, and turn the rest as you did (a square form bowl)
The third one is angled to hi to see the side form.
Nice turning, thanks for sharing it.:)

Rum Pig
11th February 2007, 04:51 PM
I think they all look fantastic #2 dose have thick walls but with such great timber you can get away with it. And when it is full of fruit you will not notice.:2tsup::U

BernieP
11th February 2007, 06:10 PM
G'Day Benji

Nice bowls especially the first one, agree with skew last one looks like a burl.

Cheers Bernie

hughie
11th February 2007, 07:08 PM
Benji

1. first 2 photos are of red mallee burl, love this wood, finished with EEE.

Yep its one of my favourites as well. You might find after a while the mallee will move and leave a dapple type finish to the EEE.

2. These 2 photos are of my sassafras bowl, i tried something different here, tried to slope the top edge and leave it thick, not to sure if i like it but my wife loves it and wont let me give it away. Love this wood and I am definitely getting more of it, just the smell of it while turning is great.

Great looking timber, for me its a bit thick too

3. The next pic, I have no idea what the wood is, my dad cut it from a dead tree on the south coast of NSW, any ideas? Its 35 cms wide. Not to sure how to finish it:? , its got small holes all over it, so i was thinking about some kind of oil?

What this is I have no idea but it sure looks like some sort of burl. I would definitely have a crack at oil. Other wise you will spend some time removing fluff, wax etc if you use EEE etc...been there done that...pain in the you know what.
Hope you like them.

TTIT
12th February 2007, 12:47 AM
Love the red mallee burl Benji and you hit the shape beautifully. :2tsup: I'm not sayin' a word about the Sass' bowl but the last burl would definitely come up nice with an oiling. Good stuff :U

OGYT
12th February 2007, 10:31 AM
I like 'em all, thick or no... and that 3d one looks like stone!
Good job.
PS: Don't ever argue with Mamma.

rsser
12th February 2007, 06:24 PM
Last one looks like Euc. nondifferentiata burl. Lot of it about.

And yes, with Red Mallee Burl turned green you can get a very nice surface texture when it dries - a bit like coarse leather.

rodent
12th February 2007, 07:43 PM
Ahh just use an electric toothbrush on thoughs hughie works a treat getting into the nooks and cranies reject shop hav them for 3 dollars last week. OH are we judging these creative pieces well then mmmm, 1st and 3 i agree 2nd bowl in the sas i would like to see a little thiner inits wall thickness about half of what it is but it still looks great. I agree with hughie though danish it ,the piece will sparkle then .

rsser
12th February 2007, 08:40 PM
As for thinning down the Sassy, maybe not. Looking at where the black lines run on the far side, opening her out will change the white section from an intrusion to a patch and I reckon that will spoil it.

Wayne Blanch
14th February 2007, 05:57 PM
You should be proud of them.:2tsup: I agree that oil is the way to go with the mystery burl.
If SHMBO is happy with the Sassy as it is you have no choice in the matter anyway, so all the conjecture is - well, just that conjecture.:D