PDA

View Full Version : Buddha Tree

WOODbTURNER
11th February 2007, 06:26 PM
Tried out my new Munro hollowing tools on the following.
The vase is made out of a descendant of the original tree (Bodhi-Shorea robusta??) Buddha sat under which is from the local Darwin Chinese Temple which I made it for. It's 255h x 135base.
The camphor laurel shallow bowl is also I think from the same tree Rum Pig from Humpty Doo got from Ian MacRaild Woodturning in Darwin. It's 450dia x 75h and both are finished in Danish oil.
Sorry about the photo quality.
Jeff

hughie
11th February 2007, 06:58 PM
[Tried out my new Munro hollowing tools on the following.
The vase is made out of a descendant of the original tree (Bodhi-Shorea robusta??) Buddha sat under which is from the local Darwin Chinese Temple which I made it for. It's 255h x 135base.
The camphor laurel shallow bowl is also I think from the same tree Rum Pig from Humpty Doo got from Ian MacRaild Woodturning in Darwin. It's 450dia x 75h and both are finished in Danish oil.

Jeff,

Good looking platter, CL responds well to oil. Hmm the Bodhi tree nothing like a bit of history around your turning.

I like the colour and the grain. Good shape.

All in all well done. Dont be to concerned with the pics they look just fine

Rum Pig
11th February 2007, 09:19 PM
Nice vase, good contrasting colour
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
Cheers Justin

Speanwoody
11th February 2007, 09:21 PM
lovely work, and the pic's are okay, nice story about the wood

TTIT
12th February 2007, 12:26 AM
Both very nice pieces Jeff. I really like the rim on the bowl and that piece of camphor looks great. Every tree tells a story I reckon and the Buddha tree is a goodun'. So how did you go with the Munro - any clogging?

WOODbTURNER
12th February 2007, 01:05 PM
Both very nice pieces Jeff. I really like the rim on the bowl and that piece of camphor looks great. Every tree tells a story I reckon and the Buddha tree is a goodun'. So how did you go with the Munro - any clogging?

Hello TTIT
The big one was a breeze with no clogging but the smaller one did at first only because I got a bit smart arsed and tried to force it too hard into the rim of the bowl. The shavings really fly but I've still got a lot to learn from them. I'm quite impressed so far and I'm hoping these will be the last tools I buy. (yeah I've said that before!!)
Jeff

tashammer
13th February 2007, 01:26 AM
i wonder if there is a good burl in Buddha's belly?

Little Festo
13th February 2007, 02:15 AM
Hello Jeff.

Very, very nice, but that's what I'd expect from you. Looking forward to catching up with you and the Darwin contingent. The weather is "turning', nice getting cooler and lots of rain tonight. Spent the day turning some really nice pine. Turned a chunky and thin translucent, will post.

Peter

Gil Jones
13th February 2007, 04:24 AM
Jeff, excellent work on fine looking wood!!:2tsup:

Tornatus
13th February 2007, 11:20 PM
The vase is made out of a descendant of the original tree (Bodhi-Shorea robusta??) Buddha sat under which is from the local Darwin Chinese Temple which I made it for.Jeff

I was interested to read about this claimed connexion between Darwin and the famous Tree of Enlightenment, but my understanding is that the sacred tree is actually a type of fig, known in India as the "Pipal", or Bo Tree, and its botanical classification reflects its spiritual connexion: Ficus religiosa

There is an Australian native tree which has a name that sounds like it is related to the founder of the Asian religion, but is actually its Aboriginal name - Budda (Eremophila mitchellii)

WOODbTURNER
14th February 2007, 05:14 PM
I was interested to read about this claimed connexion between Darwin and the famous Tree of Enlightenment, but my understanding is that the sacred tree is actually a type of fig, known in India as the "Pipal", or Bo Tree, and its botanical classification reflects its spiritual connexion: Ficus religiosa

There is an Australian native tree which has a name that sounds like it is related to the founder of the Asian religion, but is actually its Aboriginal name - Budda (Eremophila mitchellii)

Dear BUDDY!!
If you saw my original you would have seen the ??? after the tree type. Not being a tree surgeon or historian I obviously got my trees mixed up. The Sal tree (Shorea robusta) I mentioned is apparently the tree type Buddha was born under. Yes you are right the tree he apparently sat under is Ficus religiosa - tree of eternal life which I thought was the same tree.
The tree my vase is made of is "apparently" a cutting or relative of The Tree of Eternal Life. It was a gift by our southern chinese friends to the Darwin Chinese Community Temple after Cyclone Tracy devastated Darwin in 1974.
Being a ficus explains the white sticky sap that oozed out over my concrete driveway. The wood was originally a dark creamy colour. This changed to brown after drying and oiling.
Be free to advise me if I'm wrong.
Jeff

BernieP
14th February 2007, 06:51 PM
G'Day Jeff

Nice pieces especially the vase. Always good to have a history story as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Bernie

Tornatus
14th February 2007, 11:46 PM
G'day Jeff

Thanks for clearing that up - might have known he'd have a tree for a birthplace as well as one for enlightenment. No disrespect intended, but I am reminded of all the English pubs I visited while living there whose claim to fame was that King Charles or Henry VIII or some other historical Pom had slept/drunk/misbehaved there. But as someone else has observed, any piece is made more interesting if you can attach a history to it.

In my original posting, I neglected to compliment you on your good work, regardless of the origin of the wood!