PDA

View Full Version : Spaulted Jacaranda

Little Festo
12th February 2007, 12:14 AM
A form turned from some spaulted jacaranda. Finished in lacquer approx 300mm in diameter.

Peter

TTIT
12th February 2007, 08:45 AM
Absolutely beautiful piece Peter. :2tsup: So much spalted timber !!!!!! Do you go looking for it or 'encourage' it in your drying process?

Rookie
12th February 2007, 08:55 AM
That's a fanstastic piece of timber Peter. Nice shape and finish too.

Wish I could get at least one evening in the shed these days. I haven't touched a piece of wood fopr way too long now.

WillyInBris
12th February 2007, 09:00 AM
I will second what TTIT said, another beautiful piece on the forum.

Willy

Speanwoody
12th February 2007, 09:42 AM
lovelly lovely work

Little Festo
12th February 2007, 09:56 AM
Absolutely beautiful piece Peter. :2tsup: So much spalted timber !!!!!! Do you go looking for it or 'encourage' it in your drying process?

Hello Vern,

My parents cut down, and saved, a big jacaranda a year or two ago, They painted the ends but left the tree exposed so the spaulting started. I've encouraged it a bit too, roughed it out then stored the roughs in plastic bags. Really you should use a respirator to turn spaulted timber safely as there is quite a bit of mould on the outside (inside too I imagine), also gets a bit "punky", suppose, "almost", rotten really so it can be a bit crumbly. I often soak some varnish into the wood to harden it but even so really sharp gouges are the order.

Peter

hughie
12th February 2007, 11:02 AM
Peter,

Excellent form and shape,edge treatment is spot on as well.Jacaranda with the spalting is a great piece of timber to boot.

Wayne Blanch
12th February 2007, 08:09 PM
Most impressive. My first thought when I saw it was WOW:2tsup:

rsser
12th February 2007, 08:41 PM
You're lifting the bar Peter.

joe greiner
12th February 2007, 09:48 PM
Excellent proportions and surface, Peter. The rim treatment is a nice extra.

Joe

Gil Jones
13th February 2007, 04:48 AM
What they all said, plus, Sweeeeeeeet!!!!:2tsup: