PDA

View Full Version : Correct glue to use for Redgum...

Marcus
30th November 1999, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

Well, since I started such an excellent <grin> thread on Redgum finishes, I thought I would add to the fray by asking a question about the correct glue to use.

Specifically, I want to glue together 130mm wide 40mm thick boards for the table top as well as laminating 100mm*50mm length boards for the legs (cannot get kiln dried 100m*100mm!). Any suggestions?

Incidentally, I remain completely confused about *what* finish to use on the table, but I know for sure I'll coat both sides!

Thanks

Marcus

Peter Phelps
30th November 1999, 09:59 PM
Dear Marcus,
I can't help with advice on glue, but if your still considering your options for a finish for your table, how about oil. Organoil have a Hard Burnishing Oil based on tung oil that produces, using a "wet on wet" sanding process, a beautiful finish for any timber surface. It'll feel good, stand up to the wear and tear, easily maintained and even smells great (all natural plant oils).
Organoil recomends oiling both sides also. The main reason being to help stabilise the timber but also to reduce the moisture take up from beneath. Those white rings from hot coffee mugs is apparently moisture drawn to the surface by the heat, oiling or sealing the underside should help reduce this.

If you want details of the Organoil products and your local dealer you can call them on 1800 060654.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Peter.

------------------

knuckles
1st December 1999, 08:37 AM
Goodmorning Mr Phelps

Your mission is to get a brain, or at least get on the same boat as the rest of us because you have certainly missed this one. The debate over the finish has been raging for almost 3 weeks. DUH!!!

If you were to take the time and read the post Redgum Finish (http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000029.html) you would find that Marcus is looking for a more durable finish. Not oil or wax.

Wakey-wakey dream boat. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif

Marcus

You sound like a bit of a trouble-maker to me. My kind of guy. I like you and shall add you to my list of freinds. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

You could try Polyurethane Glue it is used for boat building and is as tough as nails. You may however have a little trouble getting hold of some. Try a boat building supplier. It is also pretty costly but the waterproof quality alone should make it worthwhile.

Respectfully
Knuckles

Shane Watson
1st December 1999, 11:20 AM
Marcus,

Mate I was given an article about two years ago on this subject. Although not directly pertaining to Red Gum. Rather all timbers.
All the leading brands were tested and tried under different circumstances.
I know the winners of this so called test, as I now use them, and have found them to be excellent for my uses.
Best for edge gluing eg. table tops was AV203. Which is a two part urea formaldahyde glue.
Best for end grain glueing eg. chair joints was AV260. Which is a two part cross linking PVA.
I find the urea formaldahyde good becuase it is not water based therefor won't increase any moisture levels in the joint, therefor reducing the chances of getting raised glue lines. Which I was experiencing problems with before changing to this glue.

I will try and find this article, but I think it would be long gone by now.

Oh, and yes, just for the record the test was paid for by AV Syntec. But was conducted by an independant laboritry, or so they say http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

If not helpful, maybe interesting....

Cheers
Shane....

S Hayward
1st December 1999, 07:03 PM
Hey Marcus
Have you had a look at the AV Syntec web site? You will find it at www.avsyntec.com.au (http://www.avsyntec.com.au)
I use the AV203 on a number of tricky Aussie hardwoods including Red Gum with excellent results. Tests from the CSIRO revieled that our hardwoods should be glued within half hour of machining to avoid any extractives coming to the surface. AV Syntec have all this info and if the Melbourne mob are as helpful as Frank from the Sydney office you will have no drama ( as no drama as you can have when glueing up!! ) The AV203 goes off slower than AV201 and I am still using winter hardener even at 30 degrees. If in doubt, use a slower hardener to give maximum working time and just leave the job in clamps an extra day. Better safe than sorry. I had a very unhappy glueing experience making my workbench top years ago when the glue went off 20 mins into the job. Got the hardener ratios a little wrong.
You live and learn.
Good lick.
Regards
Shaun.

Marcus
1st December 1999, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the tips! I have been to AVS's website and they certainly seem to have the right products. My local timber guy was telling me to use PVA which I know works, but I was a little sceptical about its drying qualities and water affinity.

I'll go try some AV203 and see what happens!

Marcus

ubeaut
2nd December 1999, 07:56 AM
Marcus

If you do decide to use PVA for anything avoid the most popular and readily available brand and go for the AV Syntec cross linked PVA it appears to me to be far better than most others. Warning: I have found that in the warmer weather you have to work pretty fast because they do go off quickly.

Be a little wary of some PVA type glues that claim to stick just about anything. They don't. Especially if they have been placed in a position where the temperature goes below zero. I had 4 glue joints fail with one such product. The only time I have ever had a joint fail since I made my first piece of furniture using hide glue the early 60's.

Cheers
Neil

S Hayward
5th December 1999, 08:28 PM
Hi all
Having stated in a previous post in this topic that the AV 203 goes off slow at 30 degrees with the winter hardener, I can say that we did a benchtop today at about 32 degrees and the glue went off much faster. Still had adequate time but that was because everything was set up and ready to roll. As the Sandman says, " Failure requires no preparation". In glueing up, preparation is the key word. Do a dry run and make sure you know where all the clamps are going before the glue is mixed.
Good luck Marcus
Regards
Shaun.

ubeaut
8th December 1999, 11:21 PM
Hi Marcus
I was at Carba-Tec Melb. today and they had polyurethane adhesive like that which Knuckles mentioned. I was very impressed.

Purebond - 100% waterproof, single pack polyurethane adhesive. It comes from Qld. and I guess would be available also at Carba-Tec Sydney & Brisbane. Price was pretty reasonable too.

Hope this helps.
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Marcus
9th December 1999, 12:11 AM
Hi Neil,

I dropped into Syntec today and bought some AV203 - seems that this stuff is pretty mush designed for Redgum and is what is used by some big name manufacturers of Redgum furniture - I'll let you all know how it goes.

Marcus