PDA

View Full Version : First Post?

Moo73
14th February 2007, 10:44 AM
Well someone may as well be the first - may as well be me.
I caught the sawdust bug long ago, and personally, I find the WWW shows more attractive than any shoe sale and twice as lethal to the plastic card!
Time is my biggest enemy - have the shed, have the equipment - just not the time to build the skills...can't wait until I retire in 30yrs!!

ptc
14th February 2007, 12:24 PM
is it ok for me to read your Forum. ?

RufflyRustic
14th February 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Moo73

I have to agree, that I too find the WWW shows and the timber/hardware stores much more exciting and deadly to my credit card than shopping at just about any other fashion store :rolleyes:

I'm currently in the process of getting rid of the old tiny shed and getting a bigger shed for myself. I have the time, but just not all the woodwork tools or equipment, well, not yet anyway :D

Hi PTC,
You are very welcome to read these Forum threads, as are any other Forum Members.:)

Cheers
Wendy

Shedhand
14th February 2007, 11:39 PM
Lurking :D

Touchwood
15th February 2007, 12:47 AM
Hi
I was one of those students at school who wanted to do wood work, but wasn't able to 'cause I was a girl ... the rules changed the following year, but didn't include our year group and above as we didn't start in 1st year high school. Being a farmers daughter I have always been happy outdoors making stuff happen.
Many years later I signed up for some furniture making night classes at the local TAFE. One night I saw the lathes in action and that was the begining (of the end if you ask HWMBO) and the shed started to fill!
Luckily, as I also keep and ride horses I had a 6m x 6m shed. It has now grown to 12m x 6m to accomodate 'things'.
I really enjoy time in the shed (by day I teach cookin' and sewin') so it is welcome relief.
The forum has been very kind to me and I have learnt a lot.
JD

Honorary Bloke
15th February 2007, 02:02 AM
Lurking :D

Sheddy, I thought you were going walkabout. :D

Ladies, I promise not to aggravate you but will peek in regularly in hopes of learning something. :2tsup:

Shedhand
15th February 2007, 02:05 AM
Sheddy, I thought you were going walkabout. :D

Ladies, I promise not to aggravate you but will peek in regularly in hopes of learning something. :2tsup:Soon mate. The lawyers are busy removing swmbo from my wallet. :wink:

Shedhand
15th February 2007, 02:07 AM
Hi
I was one of those students at school who wanted to do wood work, but wasn't able to 'cause I was a girl ... the rules changed the following year, but didn't include our year group and above as we didn't start in 1st year high school. Being a farmers daughter I have always been happy outdoors making stuff happen.
Many years later I signed up for some furniture making night classes at the local TAFE. One night I saw the lathes in action and that was the begining (of the end if you ask HWMBO) and the shed started to fill!
Luckily, as I also keep and ride horses I had a 6m x 6m shed. It has now grown to 12m x 6m to accomodate 'things'.
I really enjoy time in the shed (by day I teach cookin' and sewin') so it is welcome relief.
The forum has been very kind to me and I have learnt a lot.
JDG'day Touchy. I did woodwok at school but wanted to do cooking but they wouldn't let me because I was a boy. My auntie was a fantastic chef (cook) and thats what I wanted to be. The world stank then...:-

rodent
15th February 2007, 04:37 AM
Oh well fun toys are not just for the boys hey girls.

RufflyRustic
15th February 2007, 09:21 AM
Absolute right Rodent! :) Though there are some toys I'd rather stay away from, eg the ELU TGS 172 flip saw - that's a monster and just too heavy and semi-industrial for me :rolleyes: All that means is I have to think of other ways and means to do what I want to, certainly gets the brain chugging along. :U

Hi Touchwood, Horses, Woodwork, Sewing, Cooking, Teaching - Wow, what a great mix. Having had the pleasure of holding some of your pens, the mix seems to be working well for you:2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

rodent
16th February 2007, 01:56 AM
Dont worry wendy im not happy playing with some machinery ether ,but im taking jess to go and see 'S little lathe watch out she wants to have a go on your little lathe . lol

Shedgirl
22nd February 2007, 10:03 PM
G'day Touchy. I did woodwok at school but wanted to do cooking but they wouldn't let me because I was a boy. My auntie was a fantastic chef (cook) and thats what I wanted to be. The world stank then...:-

Hi all,
I went to an all girl school and had a Dad who was very handy, but not with wood. I don't know how I came to be interested in woodwork really, though I remember a boyfriend when I was a teenager who used to be a chippy, and I used to love it when he came home smelling of fresh-sawn timber...
I'm still a bit nervous of my powertools but I figure, woodwork is a lot like sewing, you have to plan, layout, measure and cut then stick all the bits in the right places. It's just that the machines are a bit bigger!

I'm still a very raw beginner, but I'm loving learning new tricks.

bentley
23rd March 2007, 03:10 PM
:C i did woodwork at scool,cut my thumb of and

wanted to do sewing and cooking, but they would

not let me,i am still woodworking and still cutting

my fingers off,would still like to make cakes and

do some sowing but they wont let me.:?