PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get Started!

RufflyRustic
14th February 2007, 12:30 PM
That raises a good question. How did I get started in woodwork?

Well, it all started when a fellow worker posted some pictures of my woodwork here, and to thank people for their comments, I had to join. I was hooked!:)

I'd finally found a place where serious woodworkers gathered, where I could learn from and associate with other like-minded people and be able to see what 'proper' woodworking was all about, where - if I was any good - I would fit in and be welcomed on my merits, not just because of my gender.

I've now been a member here since December 2004 and couldn't think of a better place to be, :) especially as I can show my true woodworker colours and not be sent to the loony bin :oo: when I say that the wood talks to me and tells me what it wants to be:rolleyes: . I once had an intense discussion and argument with some Camphor Laurel, and it was soon after this event that the Wood Whisperer title seemed to fit quite well.:B

That name is not unique to me. I know there are many others out there who are also Wood Whisperers. I hope that this becomes a place where Fellow Female Wood Whisperers and WoodWorkers can gather, feel welcomed and accepted.:U

Cheers
Wendy

rodent
15th February 2007, 04:20 AM
This will be great wendy im teaching a freinds daughter ( jess ) woodturning and she loves it . I told her about the forums and she though it was only for blokes but skew and i put her strait on that issue .She had her 15th in november and joined our club in september , she was a bit intimidated by all the guys in the club until I reminded her that she aready knew 4 of us . Now she has fun and learns at the same time . Jess will be on the internet soon so ill give you the nod when she joins wendy.PS I think shes starting to scare some of the club members ,some of her turnings are better than there's. lol

ubeaut
15th February 2007, 07:48 AM
PS I think shes starting to scare some of the club members ,some of her turnings are better than there's.That wouldn't be hard. Anyone who's had a few lessons could probably do better than a lot of the members in most clubs. She's gone the right way about it.

Cheers - Neil :U

Paws
15th February 2007, 08:45 AM
I was fortunate to go to a technical high school and did woodwork classes with a very good teacher who emphasised being methodical and careful with your work. I attempted a university degree when I left school but was a bit lost and directionless and kept drifting back to woodwork. I got a job at a good solid timber furniture company as a finisher and showed enough potential to be given a trial there as a cabinetmaker. I worked pretty much 7 days a week for a couple of months trying to work out how to make furniture and was then given a permanent position as a cabinetmaker. I learnt a great deal during this time, got to work with a range of different timbers and with some very knowledgeable woodworkers, and was also given the opportunity to design some new furniture for the company which was enjoyable and a great learning experience. I decided not to do a cabinetmaking apprenticeship, mainly for financial reasons, but regret this now as I feel there was a lot I missed out on learning and also because I do not have my trade papers.

I left this company and woodworking when I developed fairly serious back problems – 3 metre long solid timber tables being too much for my 5’5” body. I re-trained in child care and barely touched a tool for the next 10 years. About 4 years ago I did some work for my parents and one of my brothers and re-discovered my love for woodworking. I decided that this was THE thing I loved doing and now I am trying to make up for lost time – so much to learn! The past few years have included voluntary maintenance work for the RSPCA, home renovations, furniture restoration and some solid timber furniture making. My goal is to be able to make a living at woodworking, hopefully working for myself. Sometimes this feels impossible!

This forum is very important to me as I learn a great deal from the experience and generosity of the members here. Also, as I mainly work alone, it gives me a sense of community which is otherwise lacking in my working life. I am also glad that a forum has been set up for women. I do not want to be treated on the basis of my gender but have found that woodworking is still very much a male dominated domain and I haven’t met many other women woodworkers.

RufflyRustic
15th February 2007, 09:48 AM
....Jess will be on the internet soon so ill give you the nod when she joins wendy.....

Thanks Rodent, I'll be watching for your Nod :)

Cheers
Wendy

RufflyRustic
15th February 2007, 09:52 AM
Paws - WOW! I wish I had met you years ago. What you have done is very similar to what I wanted to do, but didn't realise this clearly enough until it was too late for me to take that path:rolleyes: . Things may change in the future, but for the moment, I'm happy with how my woodworking life is going.:)

This forum is very important to me as I learn a great deal from the experience and generosity of the members here. Also, as I mainly work alone, it gives me a sense of community which is otherwise lacking in my working life. I am also glad that a forum has been set up for women. I do not want to be treated on the basis of my gender but have found that woodworking is still very much a male dominated domain and I haven’t met many other women woodworkers.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

Paws
15th February 2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the reply, Wendy. I feel that I have also lost a great deal of time which could have been spent learning the art of woodworking. Will need to still be working when I am 90 if I am to have any chance of catching up.

lubbing5cherubs
15th February 2007, 06:08 PM
Gidday Wendy, I must be speedy today I have only just noticed this board. Even though I am not a woodworker. I turn and love it. What got me into well I was told by my doctor that I need to find a hobby to get some mum time.
bye
Toni

John Saxton
15th February 2007, 10:36 PM
From a males perspective, I reckon this is a great idea for the gals to put their point of view and have virtual ownership of their own forum.

A lot of credit of course has got to go to Neil to continually promote and advance this BB to fully encompass both genders and all manner of facets of woodworking irrespective of medium.

All the best Wendy for a well thought out idea and for all that it should
ascribe to.:2tsup:

Cheers

Lignum
15th February 2007, 11:01 PM
It dose have merit, but the vast majority of forum members are blokes and after the initial hoo har wont view this Wood whispering thread. All the interesting topics, photos, great tips and ideas they bring will be lost to the majority if they post them here. I love the contributions from all the girls but will miss the majority of them if this is where they post them.

Personaly i want all their contributions in the main sections so i can read and enjoy. Example- Toni`s horse/swans, how many from the woodturning/pens section who love her work will get to see this one?

I love their work and input (Ruffly, Jill, Toni, Tamer, Celest and sadly Dan thats giving up, to name a few) But keep this section for boring chit chat and introductions and save your good stuff for the main sections:D :2tsup:

rodent
16th February 2007, 01:44 AM
Wendy im taking jess and my sister over to skews tomorrow and we will reg her with the forums then since she already has an email address ,these kids are scary they know more about computers than most of us ( I said most of us skew ) it seems thats most of what they do at school .Oh well at least ive gotten her away from the computer for a while .PS great one Neil

RufflyRustic
16th February 2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the reply, Wendy. I feel that I have also lost a great deal of time which could have been spent learning the art of woodworking. Will need to still be working when I am 90 if I am to have any chance of catching up.

Paws, I too think I'll be learning until I'm too old to hear, look and listen :rolleyes: :D and yes, I regret that I never found my passion for woodwork until recently, but it's fun making up for it :U

.... Even though I am not a woodworker. I turn and love it. ..... some mum time. ....

Hi Toni, you are definitely a woodworker :) in my books as I think Turning comes under the wide heading of woodwork. 'Mum time' is important. I'm glad you are finding it very therapuetic :U

A lot of credit of course has got to go to Neil ....

Thanks John. I agree totally, that the credit does indeed have to go to Neil as well :2tsup:

....over to skews tomorrow and we will reg her with the forums then ....

Lucky you and Jess! Skew is, well, Skew :2tsup: Hope you all have a great time.

Cheers
Wendy

RufflyRustic
16th February 2007, 10:39 AM
It dose have merit, but the vast majority of forum members are blokes and after the initial hoo har wont view this Wood whispering thread. All the interesting topics, photos, great tips and ideas they bring will be lost to the majority if they post them here. I love the contributions from all the girls but will miss the majority of them if this is where they post them.

Personaly i want all their contributions in the main sections so i can read and enjoy. Example- Toni`s horse/swans, how many from the woodturning/pens section who love her work will get to see this one?

I love their work and input (Ruffly, Jill, Toni, Tamer, Celest and sadly Dan thats giving up, to name a few) But keep this section for boring chit chat and introductions and save your good stuff for the main sections:D :2tsup:

Thanks Lignum! :biggrin2: Your idea is a good one. Let me work on it and get back to you all.

cheers
Wendy

jess
16th February 2007, 04:08 PM
hi, im jess, just joined the forums, how r u all? rodent made me join, or else he would beat me. skew chiDAMN was in on it too!!! :D

Gra
16th February 2007, 04:18 PM
welcome abourd Jess, good to see another local joining.

Ok now you have registered, show us what you can do... We need pics lots of them.. :pics:

I have to get my camera fixed so I can post some of my latest work...:~

We might have to organize a BBQ in the area (No my place inst big enough and no parking).. With Skew, Rodent and yourself all within a suburb or two. I think there is someone in Doncaster, and cant forget Sturdee in Donvale, DJstimber just up the road. We could all almost walk home, well except DJ..

As I said welcome aboard and have fun
Neil

RufflyRustic
16th February 2007, 04:35 PM
Hi Jess, Welcome !! :) I hope you enjoy being here.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work, when you have settled in of course :)

cheers
Wendy

lubbing5cherubs
16th February 2007, 05:24 PM
hi, im jess, just joined the forums, how r u all? rodent made me join, or else he would beat me. skew chiDAMN was in on it too!!! :D

Welcome Jess, great to see you here. Even if you had to beat into joining. LOL
bye Toni:U

Moo73
16th February 2007, 06:50 PM
Hi Jess - welcome to the forum!
Leanne

rodent
17th February 2007, 03:23 AM
The three of us are doing demos at the croydon festival this sunday jess and i 11.00 to 12.00 skew some time in the after noon at the maroonda woodturners stand ive coned jess into making mushrooms im not quite shore what skew and i are making except a mess.

Paws
17th February 2007, 07:12 AM
Hi Toni, Moo, Rodent and Jess.

Jess, I think its great you have Rodent and Skew to help and encourage you with your woodwork. I'd love to come and watch the wood turning demo tomorrow but its a bit too far to travel from NSW. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Gra
17th February 2007, 09:38 AM
I am going to attempt to make it on Sunday, but car car club is holding their swap meeting in Yarra Glen that day. I will try to make it back by lunch time. Hopefully I can find somewhere close to park "The Mistress".

If I don't make it by then will you be sticking around? cause I will be there eventually:D

RufflyRustic
17th February 2007, 09:45 AM
Fantastic! I hope the day goes well for you all and that you have a great time making lots of sawdust and mushrooms and and and ... um, more sawdust :wink: :D

Gra, by the sounds of it you won't have any trouble finding Jess, Skew and Rodent - just look for the 2 storey-high pile of sawdust :D :D :D

I think I'm a bit envious already :- Will there be any pictures?

Cheers
Wendy

Sculptured Box
17th February 2007, 09:58 AM
A great initiative!

Gra
17th February 2007, 10:06 AM
forgot to say.. will be wearing my forum hat