PDA

View Full Version : Show us ya shed!

Moo73
15th February 2007, 10:30 AM
I'll have to take some photos of the shed to post.
Machinery-wise, it currently houses:
HF BS16A Bandsaw
HF PT260 Thicknesser/planer
Walker-Turner 6" planer (?c.mid 1930's)
MC1100 Lathe
Makita LS1040 Mitre saw
Carbatec 2hp dust extractor
6" bench grinder
8" bench grinder (one can never have too many grinders:U )
Triton saw table
300mm disc sander
Belt sander with 6" disc sander
CIG arc welder

Quite a few hand-tools, but my favourites are:
old wooden mallet (my Great-grandfathers)
HNT Gordon Block plane
Small engineers square

I'm still in the process of getting power to the shed (long story, we live on 90ac and power to the shed has had a lower priority to fencing!) so for the moment everything runs off an extension cord back to the house!.
The dust extractor hasn't been hooked up yet because it needs a 15amp circuit and don't think the xtn cord would like that + other machines running - so very little wood work is happening at the moment.
Another work in progress!

Shedhand
15th February 2007, 10:36 AM
Moo, I just separated from the love of my life (amicably and my fault). Looking at the contents of your shed (and bearing in mind my upcoming road trip) the trip may terminate at your digs. I could marry you and we could make wonderful things. :D:D:D:D:D
Pick me pick me pick me....

Moo73
15th February 2007, 10:39 AM
Flattered Shedhand!
:-

Shedhand
15th February 2007, 10:40 AM
:bIs that a YES, and will I have to toss your old man down the well? :U

zenwood
15th February 2007, 04:21 PM
Moo: i just about splurted my coffee when I read that thread title.:D

However, I can't help but recommend:
:pics:

Good idea, a forum for the women. Be interesting to see over time if there is such a thing as a feminine style of woodworking.

I may do like Shedhand and lurk here occasionally. . .

MurrayD99
15th February 2007, 06:19 PM
I'll have to take some photos of the shed to post.
Machinery-wise, it currently houses:

Walker-Turner 6" planer (?c.mid 1930's)
The dust extractor hasn't been hooked up yet because it needs a 15amp circuit and don't think the xtn cord would like that + other machines running - so very little wood work is happening at the moment.

You got a 6" Walker-Turner buzzer! Never mind Shedhand's advances... that is a nice asset! Dusty.... big thick cable..... it'll either go or not. Excusez-moi for wandering into the Ladies...

Touchwood
15th February 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm still in the process of getting power to the shed (long story, we live on 90ac and power to the shed has had a lower priority to fencing!) so for the moment everything runs off an extension cord back to the house!.

I too have the extension issue - the 2hp and lathe or other combinations i.e bandsaw, radial mitre saw run happily and don't heat the cord. Put a curcuit breaker in 'just in case'. Getting power to the shed from the house is very expensive.

This is what a 12m x 6 m shed looks like when 30m of Tuart (eucalypt) falls on it!

Luckily no one and nothing much was damaged inside, but it did cause many months of inconveniece waiting for it to be fixed. We had to build a tarp roof over it, move the hay out etc as it started to rain before rebuild.

JD

lubbing5cherubs
15th February 2007, 07:35 PM
oh mate taht would break your heart. I will get mine shed photo this weekend once the floor is finished getting cemented. I am glad that you did not loose anything. Did you get any nice wood from it?
TOni

Touchwood
15th February 2007, 07:44 PM
Surprising as it seems, we were battling to give the wood away. Tuart is a disappearing species and yet no one seemed interested. It was 4.5m around the base. Too much wood for us to handle or do justice to. Eventually it went to a fine furniture maker who promised to make us something from it - judging by the things in his shop (magnificent pieces I might add) we could probably afford a chopping board!

Insurance re built it, slab up! You miight have noticed the edge of the house roof - we were lucky! This was 2 years ago, 6 months after it was extended.

JD :)

Moo73
15th February 2007, 09:36 PM
Finally got to download the pics and here 'tis...
First one - outside shed, roughly 9x9m (about half for woodworking, or thats the plan...)
The others are of the very messy interior, will get there eventually...
:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
15th February 2007, 09:40 PM
Nice Set up Nice shed
Toni

Moo73
15th February 2007, 09:47 PM
Walker-Turner c.1938 6" jointer - gratefully inherited from my uncle Bill (died a few years ago now, daughter recently moved to a smaller place and 'cleaned out the shed').
Works a treat!
Don't think the green was the original colour!

MurrayD99
16th February 2007, 06:24 AM
Walker-Turner c.1938 6" jointer - gratefully inherited from my uncle Bill (died a few years ago now, daughter recently moved to a smaller place and 'cleaned out the shed').
Works a treat!
Don't think the green was the original colour!

Dad had one the same - I think he bought it new about 1953-4. It wasn't green-green - more a sort of grey-green I think - and it had a big heavy cast iron guard that liked the view from a high shelf in the workshop - being too cumbersome for its purpose. He traded up to a Wadkin with long, long tables. Brings back memories - thanks for the pic. Nice shed.

RufflyRustic
16th February 2007, 10:55 AM
Geez Touchwood, losing the shed that way just bites:C , but it's great to hear that it's been replaced :)

Very Nice Moo! Looks like you've got plenty of room there to work with.

Toni - hope the cement floor goes down easily and quickly.

My Shed? well, I have a tiny tinny shed I call the Solar Kiln and I work out under the patio roof. Most of the time it's a pretty good place to work, but any extreme weather or rain means I can't get anything done. The good news is that I've ordered my new shed finally!! I'll be starting a New Shed WIP thread soon in the Garden Shed Forum.

Cheers
Wendy

lubbing5cherubs
18th February 2007, 09:27 PM
floors all in today but it got a dog prints through it..LOL hubby not happy
Toni

rick_rine
19th February 2007, 08:11 PM
[quote=rufflyrustic;462859]Toni - hope the cement floor goes down easily and quickly.

Great new Forum girls and couldn't help but stick my nose in the door :) I hope some of the men will leave you alone now but I'm an open minded guy so hope you don't mind if I call into your shed once in a while to see what you talented ladies are up to .
Go for it girls .

P.S. Wendy , Its concrete , cement is an ingredient and would just blow away if you put it on your floor . :; Just one of my pet picks . I give it to blokes all the time . Calling concrete cement is like calling a loaf of bread a loaf of flour .
Suppose this is why you girls can have your own forum so guys like me don't pick on you :)

RufflyRustic
20th February 2007, 09:26 AM
..... I hope some of the men will leave you alone now ......

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your support.:2tsup:

Leave us alone? Nah - more fun and interesting to to have an area where we can meet and discuss issues for ourselves, but also to be a part of the all the forum areas too.:)

cement vs concrete - another bit of info to sock away - Thanks!

Am also working on my Shed WIP thread, I hope to have it up later today.

Cheers
Wendy

echnidna
20th February 2007, 10:37 AM
is like calling a loaf of bread a loaf of flour .

you mean there's a difffrence :o :o :B

ptc
20th February 2007, 10:40 AM
Just visiting

lubbing5cherubs
20th February 2007, 05:01 PM
So you guys have your pretty mini skirts to be in this area.:p :D No only kidding I think it neat, you guy you are coming here
Toni

Jim Carroll
20th February 2007, 05:04 PM
Its just like the Cornetto ad on TV, you just gotta look:D

RufflyRustic
20th February 2007, 05:39 PM
I've started the WIP shed thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=45447). Hope you enjoy it!

cheers
Wendy

Shedgirl
21st February 2007, 12:27 AM
Hi Girlies and Blokes
Here's my shed. Tiny, wee, hot and full of redbacks. All the big toys are in the carport, chained up so as not to be freed by the Power Tool Liberaton Front.

The old gent who originally inhabited the shed must have been tiny, as the bench is way too low for me and I'm 5 ft 4". It came with many of his personal touches, like a light made out of a hubcap, and a radio aerial that could contact interplanetary life forms. A bunch of fishing line ends still with rusty hooks jammed into the doorframe. Also, a collection of fabulous ancient keys to who knows what? I like to think he would be pleased that his shed is still loved, even though it is small and crappy and potentially venemous.

The sign-post outside the door has a chunk of railway line fixed to the top, in case one needs to Bash Stuff Really Hard. My five-year old already has a tool kit (those are his offcuts in the plastic box), and my three-year-old likes to get nude and pretend to be Bob the (Nudist) Builder. Alas, miss seven is reluctant to enter the shed. Something to do with spiders, apparently.

As you may have noticed, when the weather is suited it is also the local Brewery. (The winery is in the garage and the carport).

My husband and I dream our dreams of huge, insulated, segregated sheds of our own......

RufflyRustic
21st February 2007, 09:24 AM
Hi Shedgirl,

Now that is what I call a fair dinkum shed!!! :D and I can certainly appreciate the dream of bigger, better and segregated sheds :U

cheers
Wendy

lubbing5cherubs
21st February 2007, 11:11 AM
and my three-year-old likes to get nude and pretend to be Bob the (Nudist) Builder.
nice shed by the way.

haha this reminds me of my little fellow he was just able to crawl. He too hated nappies. He got hold of dad's pliers and pinched the end of his old fella, he through the pliers as if it was not my fault. it was so funny but his face broke your heart but it was so hilarious. the way he through the pliers right away before he started to cry though:U :realbighug:

Moo73
21st February 2007, 01:38 PM
Hi Shedgirl,

Now that is what I call a fair dinkum shed!!!

Too true - need to get hold of a certified shed sticker...

RufflyRustic
21st February 2007, 02:16 PM
It's definitely worthy of it in my humble opinion :2tsup:

Shedgirl
22nd February 2007, 09:50 PM
What's a certified shed sticker???

bumnut
22nd February 2007, 10:02 PM
Had a concreter mate doing a warehouse slab in Darwin - just finished screeding and had a six dog dogfight on it.
Its wonderful seeing the fairer sex involved, now if I can only get the boss interested...

Cheers
Bruce C

aljenit
28th February 2007, 01:44 PM
Wonderful Idea to have a womens section in the forums here.
Lets keep those woodchips flying and those tools purring along.
Now down to the topic
:roll:
This is my shed,cluttered and used for storage more than woodwork some weeks:C .Recently sadly underused due to the demands of my paying job.:roll:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24613&d=1149738781

Moo73
28th February 2007, 03:35 PM

Haven't been able to track down where to get them from yet, but referred to in this post:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=45088&highlight=shed+sticker

zenwood
28th February 2007, 04:12 PM
The history of shed accreditation goes back to this original thread:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18940

The stickers can be got from Shedscientist (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18247)(one-time participating member here, and the author of the "Blokes and Sheds (http://www.ibys.org/bs/)" books (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Blokes-Sheds-including-Stories/dp/0207198233/sr=1-1/qid=1172639860/ref=sr_1_1/103-0183840-9619007?ie=UTF8&s=books)). This thread outlines the procedure for obtaining 'shed accreditation':

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19202

Good luck:2tsup:

PS See here for an idea (from guess who?) for a "Females and Sheds" book:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=160210&postcount=13

RufflyRustic
28th February 2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks Zen!!

cheers
Wendy

Moo73
1st March 2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks Zenwood - I don't think my shed is quite at 'Good Shed' status yet, but my Brother-in-laws is.
I now have to scam a way of getting a photo and sending it off to Shedscientist for a sticker...B-i-l will be chuffed!
Cheers
Leanne

Shedgirl
1st March 2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah, thanks Zenwood, maybe we woodchicks need some Genuine Girlie Shed stickers!

Wild Dingo
1st March 2007, 06:04 PM
mmmm... he hastens to find his sheila tutu for wearin in the sheila bar at ubeat... aaahhh there it be!! zzzzzzzziiiiiiipppppppp! :2tsup:

Sqeeking in me best sheila impersonatin voice I will just like to mutter...

Toni, Wendy, Leanne, Shed girl and other wee sheila shed types... contact the shed scientist with a nice photo of your shed and I assure you you will become a member of the shed accredited shed cult :2tsup: personally... I reckon that wee wooden ex dunny is a bottler of a shed an I give it :2tsup: :2tsup:

Let us other shed acredited blokes know if you have any probs with your accreditation... and we will get onto him on your behalf... he'll give it you no worries specially when he realizes that all the offers of barbies an drinks around the country made by us blokes are being withdrawn :o we dont do discriminashun! we accept our artsy phartsy sheila siide us shed accredited blokes :~ So he bedda give with the accreditation by gar :; cause Im one whos hangin out to show the buggar around me shed have a feast at the barbie while drnkin down copious amounts of the good oil :2tsup: