PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624-44

Jim Carroll
15th February 2007, 07:12 PM
To all those who have been patiently waiting the lathes have finally arrived.
We will call everyone tomorow to confirm delivery.
If anyone has been waiting for them to arrive before putting their order in now is your chance to get them quick.

lubbing5cherubs
15th February 2007, 07:17 PM
:bgth: :woot: Yeehaa!! Yippee!! Party time:woot: :hpydans:
Toni

Twinnie
15th February 2007, 07:54 PM
yeee haaaaa i'll be awaiting your call jim but being thursday and lathe being a lathe i'm not going to get it by this week end am i:doh: but thats great news any way!

Matt

Twinnie
21st February 2007, 08:34 PM
well i got mine today and first impresions...mabey i should have got the leady! so the thing is made in china i can live with that but the head stock bolt was loose and i was getting bad headstock flex. second it's noisey, it rattles, and it vibrates (this is a brand new lathe).

the last little rant is about the nova titan i got at the same time has jaws that don't run true.

i think technatool have to re think there qualtiy control a bit... no alot and who ever dave is (the name on the qc slip) start looking for a new job. [/rant]

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
21st February 2007, 09:06 PM
:no: I hope not mine not like that. She is still coming. Please be a beauty. Mine not due til monday. However it won't upset me if she gets here earlier:D
Toni

Twinnie
21st February 2007, 09:12 PM
i was ment to get mine tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed

Matt

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st February 2007, 10:56 PM
the last little rant is about the nova titan i got at the same time has jaws that don't run true.

Have you double-checked that each jaw is on the correct slide? If you mix even just two of them up, they won't run true...

Jim Carroll
22nd February 2007, 07:43 AM
Twinnie it sounds like you have not put the motor flange on properly for it to rattle.

Is the lockdown lever at the back of the housing inserted properly. This is where the head gets locked down once you have aligned the headstock and tail stock.

Did you make sure the motor pulley is tight on the shaft, just because it is on there does not mean it is fitted properly.
Did you check the alignment between the motor and shaft pulley.

When you fitted the jaws to the chuck did you fit them all loosley then scroll the chuck closed to make sure they were all alingned properly then tighten the screws, if you just fitted them tight then there can be a slight bit of difference, it is always worth puting them on loose as they may not be seated right in the scroll ring and with closing them up it brings them all into alignment.

These are just a few thoughts if still any problems give me a call.

Twinnie
22nd February 2007, 03:51 PM
Twinnie it sounds like you have not put the motor flange on properly for it to rattle.

Is the lockdown lever at the back of the housing inserted properly. This is where the head gets locked down once you have aligned the headstock and tail stock.

Did you make sure the motor pulley is tight on the shaft, just because it is on there does not mean it is fitted properly.
Did you check the alignment between the motor and shaft pulley.

When you fitted the jaws to the chuck did you fit them all loosley then scroll the chuck closed to make sure they were all alingned properly then tighten the screws, if you just fitted them tight then there can be a slight bit of difference, it is always worth puting them on loose as they may not be seated right in the scroll ring and with closing them up it brings them all into alignment.

These are just a few thoughts if still any problems give me a call.

i think i did most of that but i'll doulbe check thanks jim

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
23rd February 2007, 02:18 PM
i was ment to get mine tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed

Matt

Nah mine not coming a day earlier. SHe be here on Monday. Damn weekends. Poor old Jim hung on so weekends were not going to hold up. He might as well sent it anyway. Stinks living here sometimes.:C Oh well she now closer to my place than Jim's:2tsup: at least we are in the same state. Here to Monday coming real fast:rolleyes:
Toni

Twinnie
23rd February 2007, 08:50 PM
hey all

the lathe had a good with alen keys and a socket and it's much better off thanks for the tips jim

Matt

iron bark
23rd February 2007, 09:21 PM
hey all

the lathe had a good with alen keys and a socket and it's much better off thanks for the tips jim

Matt

:? ?????:?

Twinnie
23rd February 2007, 11:31 PM
:? ?????:?

ahh yeah, in my defence thewre was a black out (big storm) when i was writing that.

what it ment to say was the lathe had a good going over with...

Matt

tashammer
24th February 2007, 06:23 AM
Twinnie but are ya happy with it now?

Twinnie
24th February 2007, 01:18 PM
Twinnie but are ya happy with it now?

there is still more headstock flex then i would like. this makes me wonder if the dvr has as much since they claim to have the same bed.

i'm also building a heavy stand this week end to bolt it to, that might change things. i do realy like the lowest speed which is great for drilling out the center of bowls and the like, i use a 4 1/2 inch saw tooth bit and it doesn't even flinch!

the in built indexing system is a bit useless because to see the numbers you have to look though a tiny hole (10mm or so) which is hidden behind your chuck. that said it's still nice to have and the spindle lock is very strong.

reverse is a joy to have this was one of the things that drew me to this lathe, it's best to spin the peice and chuck/faceplate before you turn it on in reverse though otherwise it just unscrews it's self and falls off.

thats all i can think of for now over all i'm happy with it but not over the moon, this will probly change as a find out more about it and have a fiddle with set up.

Matt

Jim Carroll
24th February 2007, 03:00 PM
What do you mean by headstock flex ?

Gil Jones
24th February 2007, 03:13 PM
Twinnie, is there a groove cut in the spindle where a grub (set) screw can drive down in to lock the chuck in reverse?

Twinnie
24th February 2007, 03:30 PM
What do you mean by headstock flex ?

now there's dedication working on a weekend:D. when i have an unbalenced blank you can see the headstock moving back and foward (blank was about 1.5 kg), it's acting like it's not tightened down to the bed but i have tightned it quite a bit. i'm yet to check the owners manual so i'll do that but somthing doesn't seem right.

Twinnie, is there a groove cut in the spindle where a grub (set) screw can drive down in to lock the chuck in reverse?

ahhh yes i forgot about that and it's only fallen off once

Matt

Baz
24th February 2007, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Twinnie;468430]there is still more headstock flex then i would like. this makes me wonder if the dvr has as much since they claim to have the same bed.

i'm also building a heavy stand this week end to bolt it to, that might change things. i do realy like the lowest speed which is great for drilling out the center of bowls and the like, i use a 4 1/2 inch saw tooth bit and it doesn't even flinch!

Never heard of drilling out the centre of a bowl with a forstner bit, would be a lot quicker with a bowl gouge.

Cheers
Barry

lubbing5cherubs
24th February 2007, 08:20 PM
Twinnie mate you are scarying me here. I hope it ok. Two more sleeps and I will be able to tell you for myself. Still am excited about getting it but bit towy now too.
Toni

Jim Carroll
25th February 2007, 10:44 AM
I would say the headstock is not tightened down enough.
The handle that goes into the rear of the casting has a taper on the end which goes into a taper.
If you take the handle out and witha torch have a look into the hole to make sure there is a hole for it to go into and it is not just rubbing up against the side of the pin.
The pin comes down from the headstock through to the base.
If there is no hole in the pin and you can see a rub mark on the side of the pin then you will have to raise the headstock up completely. There is a bolt under the headstock that need to be removed first then lift up the headstock and turn the pin till it aligns with the hole then put the headstock back down again. Make sure you replace the bolt.

When you look in the hole again you will see that the pin is slightly above centre height this is so when you locate the locking handle it pulls the headstock down.

The handle has about an 1" of it machined and there is 2 rings around the machined part, the handle should go into the housing up to at least the second ring if not then you are not locating in the headstock pin.

You should be able to hand tighten the handle up to the second ring then use the knockout bar to tighten a further quarter to half turn.

Twinnie
25th February 2007, 06:19 PM
ah ha! that explains every thing after reading your last post jim i had a look at my lathe and then the owners manual and relised 1: i didn't have the lock pin in and 2: i can't put the lock pin in because there is no thread in the bed casting! there is a hole as detailed on page 11 of the manual but no thread.

so toni don't worry your's will be fine.

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2007, 06:48 PM
Twinnie, one more sleep and I will tell you definitely. This time tommorrow she be here where I can whisper sweet nothing to her. I am so excited. If the courier to slow, I be chasing it down..LOL I can't wait. I am still excited about getting it but I have printed out all of Jim Comments to make sure I get it right.
bye
Toni

baxter
26th February 2007, 07:42 PM
ah ha! that explains every thing after reading your last post jim i had a look at my lathe and then the owners manual and relised 1: i didn't have the lock pin in and 2: i can't put the lock pin in because there is no thread in the bed casting! there is a hole as detailed on page 11 of the manual but no thread.
Matt

Matt it is a strange comment that you can't put the lock pin in because there is no thread in the bed casting.

If it is the same as the DVR, then the thread that the locking pin locks into is deep under the headstock and probably can't be felt with a finger - have a look at the cutout of the diagram in the manual.

Could you explain your situation by answering the following:

1. Can you screw the locking pin into place or does it just spin around without locking?

2. Does the headstock still move under load?

Toni, if you get to read this before you unwrap the lathe, make sure you read the assembly instructions in the manual before attempting to put the headstock onto the lathe bed.

Wait to hear.

lubbing5cherubs
26th February 2007, 08:10 PM
She purrs like a kitten and she is a ripper. I am so pleased with her. She is gorgeous.
Toni

baxter
26th February 2007, 08:22 PM
She purrs like a kitten and she is a ripper. I am so pleased with her. She is gorgeous.
Toni

Come on Toni have you named her yet?:U

lubbing5cherubs
26th February 2007, 08:25 PM
yep she a betsy. beautiful betsy. :- :D
Here you go introducing Betsy
Toni

BernieP
26th February 2007, 09:03 PM
G'Day Toni

Congratulations, enjoy!:2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

DJ’s Timber
26th February 2007, 09:08 PM
Woo hoo, Hope you and Betsy have many enjoyable years together

Twinnie
26th February 2007, 09:21 PM
Matt it is a strange comment that you can't put the lock pin in because there is no thread in the bed casting.

If it is the same as the DVR, then the thread that the locking pin locks into is deep under the headstock and probably can't be felt with a finger - have a look at the cutout of the diagram in the manual.

Could you explain your situation by answering the following:

1. Can you screw the locking pin into place or does it just spin around without locking?

2. Does the headstock still move under load?

Toni, if you get to read this before you unwrap the lathe, make sure you read the assembly instructions in the manual before attempting to put the headstock onto the lathe bed.

Wait to hear.

i can explain, the lock pin doesn't even fit though the second hole in the bed as detailed on page 11 of the manual. it looks like if it was tapped then it would, but the second hole is smooth.

i just checked again and i can just fit my little finger in the hole and when compared with the lock pin... it's as i suspected it just need threading.

the easy solution would be to thread it my self but i'm worryed about the warrenty if i do that.

i have emailed teknatool and the reply i got was from some one called fang hong and said they were a newzealand company and i should send it to the usa to be fixed, this would be an understandable mistake but i started the email with g'day. i'm going to ring them tomorrow and see where that gets me.

jim do you have any trouble with warrenty claims? as far as i'm conserned this is an out of the box failure (like a broken motor would be). i'm a bit worryed now because there is still the matter of a drive belt thats unjoining it's self and i havn't had it a week yet!

have i baught a lemon?

Matt

p.s. i realy didn't expact to see you on here tonight toni i thaught you'd be turning into the wee hours. you like it?

Jim Carroll
26th February 2007, 09:52 PM
Can I ask anyone in the Canberra area who is familiar with the Nova 3000 lathe to go around and have a look at Marks lathe and see if they can sort this out for him.

Mark there will be no worries with warranty I just need someone who is familiar with the lathe to have a quick look and see if the problem can be rectified easily.

The problems you seem to be having is usually easily rectified once you read the manual.

Jim Carroll
26th February 2007, 09:55 PM
Toni you must have got that lathe out of the box and together before it the pallet hit the ground. Enjoy.

lubbing5cherubs
26th February 2007, 10:00 PM
p.s. i realy didn't expact to see you on here tonight toni i thaught you'd be turning into the wee hours. you like it?[/quote]

only in between breaks went to longreach for a car service.took 5 hours to change filters ever heard the likes of it, walked with five kids for a day feet are killing so taking lots of break nearly made my first finale box on her.

i do hope you didn't get a lemon.:C
bye Toni

added Betsy first project. Finial top still needs more sanding but it kept flying off so will have another go tommorrow when not tired. but I had to have a play pretty happy with my first little box with a finial.

ps a quick question for Jim ...do you wipe off the excess grease? no she had time to settle first. we had to pick it up once the shop shut so they could open up the freight box

Jim Carroll
27th February 2007, 07:41 AM
Toni clean all the grease of everywhere as it will become very messy if you dont.
It is put on there to protect the castings from getting rust on them in there travels.

Not able to see the base of your finial properly but it looks like you need to cut a dovetail spigot on the bottom to hold the peice of wood better.

If you have enough waste wood you could use the 35mm spigot jaws to grip the wood better as that are about an 1" long

lubbing5cherubs
27th February 2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks Jim
Toni

ss_11000
27th February 2007, 03:26 PM
congrats toni. nice name for your lathe...i called mine "latho".lol

Twinnie
27th February 2007, 03:41 PM
Can I ask anyone in the Canberra area who is familiar with the Nova 3000 lathe to go around and have a look at Marks lathe and see if they can sort this out for him.

Mark there will be no worries with warranty I just need someone who is familiar with the lathe to have a quick look and see if the problem can be rectified easily.

The problems you seem to be having is usually easily rectified once you read the manual.

i'd be happy to let some one who knows the n3000 or dvr to have a look at it, infact i'll ask at the guild if any one has one.

Matt (not mark :D)

TTIT
27th February 2007, 04:43 PM
congrats toni. nice name for your lathe...i called mine "latho".lolYa don't wanna know what I used to call my MC900 !!! :o:no:

Simomatra
27th February 2007, 05:01 PM
Lennie Lathe, Gary grinder peter planner jsut for a start lol.

lubbing5cherubs
27th February 2007, 05:05 PM
old bitch??
Toni

ss_11000
27th February 2007, 05:40 PM
POS the BS. Woodly the wood shelf, Drilly the DP, Benchy the bench, Chucky the scroll chuck, spinny the grinder, freeby the SCMS....not real original am i? the new BS will get a proper name.

cheers

sorry bout the hijack.:)

Twinnie
27th February 2007, 06:18 PM
i have a drill bit called brunhilder, a rubber hammer called the force (i work with a bloke called luke), but my turning stuff remains nameless for now.

lubbing5cherubs
27th February 2007, 06:22 PM
I bet you been swearing your new baby. hurting her feelings:p :D
Toni

jchappo
27th February 2007, 07:01 PM
yep she a betsy. beautiful betsy. :- :D
Here you go introducing Betsy
Toni

Ooo! Aaah! ... Beautiful:2tsup::2tsup:

Where are the shavings???

Enjoy:)

Twinnie
27th February 2007, 07:43 PM
I bet you been swearing your new baby. hurting her feelings:p :D
Toni

not swearing it's not her fault, but i'd realy like to use her to her full capacity and it's a little frustrating that i can't for lack of 1 step in the process.

Matt

str8man
27th February 2007, 08:46 PM
Matt

You wouldn't want to swear at her. The owners manual is supposed to be read first. Not after the fact.

You talk about a warranty claim. Won't happen mate. If you could then Nova would be asking for their lathe back and compensation for the bad press that has been published to the world in this forum.

You should know that reversing the lathe would undo the thread and throw the chuck or off the lathe. Thank your lucky stars you didn't have a big burl on there or you could have done some real damage.

Toni put her lathe together without a problem and it's running brilliantly. You're letting the mens side down. Wake up to yourself.

To Jim Carroll

Jim

You must be some sort of a saint, otherwise you would have told this bloke to read the instructions first and washed your hands of him after the first couple of posts.

Str8

lubbing5cherubs
27th February 2007, 08:53 PM
No St8 I can't take the credit for building it with no problem. I married a wonderful man who helps me lots and not complaining.

But fair go in Matt's defence, it is hardly his fault if the piece has no thread to wind it in on that is teknatool mistake.
Bye Toni

Twinnie
27th February 2007, 09:02 PM
Matt

You wouldn't want to swear at her. The owners manual is supposed to be read first. Not after the fact.

You talk about a warranty claim. Won't happen mate. If you could then Nova would be asking for their lathe back and compensation for the bad press that has been published to the world in this forum.

You should know that reversing the lathe would undo the thread and throw the chuck or off the lathe. Thank your lucky stars you didn't have a big burl on there or you could have done some real damage.

Toni put her lathe together without a problem and it's running brilliantly. You're letting the mens side down. Wake up to yourself.

To Jim Carroll

Jim

You must be some sort of a saint, otherwise you would have told this bloke to read the instructions first and washed your hands of him after the first couple of posts.

Str8

that makes me very angry. your spoiling for a fight and i'm not going to give you one. i'm having enough trouble with getting a responce from teknatool without people sugesting i'm a lier and an idiot. questioning my safe working practices (i have an ohs qualification) and my manhood? it's just unreasonable.

edit: i just looked at your post count, 1! you joined the fourum to insult and abuse me?

Matt

Frank&Earnest
27th February 2007, 09:42 PM
that makes me very angry. your spoiling for a fight and i'm not going to give you one. i'm having enough trouble with getting a responce from teknatool without people sugesting i'm a lier and an idiot. questioning my safe working practices (i have an ohs qualification) and my manhood? it's just unreasonable.

edit: i just looked at your post count, 1! you joined the fourum to insult and abuse me?

Matt

Fight, fight, kill, kill!:D He started it referring to the laws of libel. Why don't you sue his pants off? (although, if he is right...:- )

Jim Carroll
28th February 2007, 08:21 AM
Matt have you done as I requested and check if you have the centre pin alingned with the hole for the lock pin.

With you trying to use the lathe without the locking pin in position it may have moved of centre. You will not get the locking handle in.

You may be correct in not having a thread in the hole but till you lift the headstock of the lathe you will not find out for sure.

Because the headstock was not secured down properly you may have caused some bruising on the pin so it may be a little hard to lift up. Take the motor and flange of the headstock to make this job easier and wriggle the headstock up and out of the way. Do not forget to take the securing bolt underneath the headstock of first.

If it is hard to lift of make yourself some timber wedges and place them between the headsock and base and use them to prise the headstock of , tap one wedge in one side then another in the other side then keep taping the wedges till the headstock comes of, you may need to put packers in till you get the headstock up to the full height.

Once you have the headstock of then you will be able to check if there is a thread on the hole and check if you have damaged the pin in any way

You also could have damaged the belt by not securing the motor housing properly in the first place and with that the pulleys will not line up so the belt will bind up against the side of one of the pulleys and give it undue wear.

If there is no thread in the casting as you claim, do you have easy access to taps. If so it will be an easy job to run the tup through, make sure it is properly lubricated and only turn 1/4 of a turn at a time. You will need to clean out the hole and any mess you make so there is no filings or other bits to get in the way when you reassemble the headstock.

Please check everthing before you ring anyone to make sure you have all the right information.

RETIRED
28th February 2007, 09:16 AM
We don't allow personal attacks. Attack the idea not the person.

str8man
28th February 2007, 09:41 AM
Come on now. That wasn't a personal attack it was a statement of fact. Read his posts and you see this for yourself. Below is just one statement of stupidity.

i have an ohs qualificationThat's obvious by your response to spin the lathe before turning on in reverse. Doh :doh: Seems they must give those qualifications out to just anyone. Because no one with even half a brain would even have thought of reversing without locking the chuck on first. To compound the stupid act you come to an open forum with this gem of advice:aro-d:
it's best to spin the peice and chuck/faceplate before you turn it on in reverse though otherwise it just unscrews it's self and falls off.

Call what I said a personal attack, no way, I am firmly of the belief that it was nothing more than an honest statement of fact.

str8 (that's 2 posts want to push me to 3. Go ahead make my day)

lubbing5cherubs
28th February 2007, 10:11 AM
Ooo! Aaah! ... Beautiful:2tsup::2tsup:

Where are the shavings???

Enjoy:)

John I have to dust them off. Got to keep it looking new at least for a little while:D
Toni

Jim Carroll
28th February 2007, 02:33 PM
Matt we have had an offer from Andy at Carbatec in Canberra to have a look at your lathe and try and resolve the issues you are having with it.
If you could take it down there at unit 6/ 145 Gladstone Street Fyshwick. Please leave it with them and they will report back to me on their findings.

Please do not try to do any more to the lathe so we can get it up and running for you ASAP.

Twinnie
28th February 2007, 04:30 PM
Matt we have had an offer from Andy at Carbatec in Canberra to have a look at your lathe and try and resolve the issues you are having with it.
If you could take it down there at unit 6/ 145 Gladstone Street Fyshwick. Please leave it with them and they will report back to me on their findings.

Please do not try to do any more to the lathe so we can get it up and running for you ASAP.

thanks jim i'll do that because i've had enough of buggering about trying to fix the problem my self and getting atacked for doing so! i baught the lathe from you on recamendation of your good service and it has been just that.

Matt

Groggy
28th February 2007, 04:35 PM
i baught the lathe from you on recamendation of your good service and it has been just that.

MattYep, he'll go the extra mile (or three).

Frank&Earnest
28th February 2007, 04:48 PM
Come on now. That wasn't a personal attack it was a statement of fact. Read his posts and you see this for yourself. Below is just one statement of stupidity.

That's obvious by your response to spin the lathe before turning on in reverse. Doh :doh: Seems they must give those qualifications out to just anyone. Because no one with even half a brain would even have thought of reversing without locking the chuck on first. To compound the stupid act you come to an open forum with this gem of advice:aro-d:

Call what I said a personal attack, no way, I am firmly of the belief that it was nothing more than an honest statement of fact.

str8 (that's 2 posts want to push me to 3. Go ahead make my day)
OK str8, I'll make your day. Just go on your knees and thank for saving your @rse. If you write "you did a stupid thing" you might get away with it as a statement of fact. If you write "you are stupid" it is libel.

lubbing5cherubs
28th February 2007, 05:32 PM
Hey Matt you might have a lathe by the weekend. Hang in there the experts will get to the bottom of it. And I agree Jim service is second to none. He does an awesome job. Thanks Jim
Toni

Twinnie
28th February 2007, 06:06 PM
it's in the car and i'll drop it off after work tomorrow. fingers crossed nothing is wrong with the head stock pin. although i doubt it'll be operational by the week end.

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
28th February 2007, 06:24 PM
did you have to pull her right down again? or loaded her as is?

Twinnie
28th February 2007, 06:43 PM
she was loaded as it tail stock banjo, the lot! i'm not going to do so much as change speeds i just want this to be over and sorted.

i even had to take out a seat to fit it in!

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
1st March 2007, 12:42 PM
Good on ya. Hope they get to the bottom of it today for you. Must be frustrating.
Toni

Twinnie
1st March 2007, 05:56 PM
well the sarga might be drawing to a close, the lathe is at carbtec canberra and a huge thankyou to Andy (and the rest of the boys) for what they are doing .

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
4th March 2007, 03:39 PM
:val: I is in love been doing a box, I have just made my best box ever, working on her is like you know that vista add, you know things make you say WOW. This is the new nova. I know Twinnie had his difficulties but it is a dream when she is running right. Made a box today like cutting through butter...no kick backs, no semi stalling. Just smooth sailing. she is beautiful:B
Toni

Twinnie
4th March 2007, 04:16 PM
where are the pics?

and it is a beutiful thing to use the power is just so good!

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
4th March 2007, 04:20 PM
Here you go Matt, Sorry about the photo. Some ninganpoop in our house dropped our digital camera and smashed the view screen and now we got nothing. Real bad part about it is I can't blame anyone else because I am that ninganpoop:(( so here it is taken by the phone camera

The box is about 3cm high and 5cm across made by sweet chestnut. The only finish on this is sanded and waxed.
bye Toni

DJ’s Timber
4th March 2007, 07:00 PM
Looks great Toni, nice to hear that you are enjoying your new toy.

Shame about the camera

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th March 2007, 07:39 PM
See? That Nova is nothing but bad luck, Toni.

Don't worry, I'll take it off your hands and save you from future disasters. :p

lubbing5cherubs
4th March 2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah Skew you got buckley and none chance of getting her. You will have to take me with her. Could you handle 2 swmbo. PLUS 5 kids...LOL or worse than that could you handle to people in your shed buying all the extra 2 wish list..LOL:D
Toni

Twinnie
4th March 2007, 08:59 PM
See? That Nova is nothing but bad luck, Toni.

Don't worry, I'll take it off your hands and save you from future disasters. :p

you'd still have to prise mine from my dead fingers they are that good :D

toni, i like the box but isn't sweet chessnut a wood that splits alot?

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
4th March 2007, 09:14 PM
that was written on it. well then I have no idea
Toni

baxter
5th March 2007, 12:20 PM
and it is a beutiful thing to use the power is just so good!
Matt

you'd still have to prise mine from my dead fingers they are that good :D
Matt

Matt do I take it from these comments that the problem with your lathe has been rectified?:2tsup: If so, can you give an idea what had to be done?

Twinnie
5th March 2007, 02:33 PM
Matt do I take it from these comments that the problem with your lathe has been rectified?:2tsup: If so, can you give an idea what had to be done?

they are not rectified yet but they are being rectified, so i don't actualy have the lathe atm. but i can tell you what was wrong. there was indeed a thread missing from the bed casting, and the belt had a little flap of rubber that had come up and was making alot of noise as it spun at 3000 rpm.

so the bed casting needs tapping (it's a strange thread and so it's hard to find a tap for)

and some eletrical tape on the belt of some glue on the belt (but i would like a new one)

it sounds simple enough, but frustration, and the impact on the lathes performance (it'd be like not being able to lock down a tail stock ) lead to a bit of a fuss.

Matt

rsser
5th March 2007, 06:00 PM
I can sympathise Matt. I used to own one of the 'new' Triumph bikes :saddest:

Twinnie
5th March 2007, 07:31 PM
I can sympathise Matt. I used to own one of the 'new' Triumph bikes :saddest:

ahh yes the british, nothing better then standing around a wood stove on strike.

i'm going to call my lathe Friday. kinda fitting

what was wrong with the bike?

Matt

rsser
5th March 2007, 08:06 PM
ahh yes the british, nothing better then standing around a wood stove on strike.

i'm going to call my lathe Friday. kinda fitting

what was wrong with the bike?

Matt

I think in this case it was the quality assurance people too wedded to flow charts on paper.

... Fuel sender unit and clutch cable died in the 1st month from new; factory rear mudguard had to be replaced twice; nut dropped off the rear subframe and chewed up the chain and drive sprocket; front discs ran out of true after 17k km; rear wheel bearings leaked grease over the rear disc; rear brake light activator boot perished and leaked twice; and spark plug threads corroded by 12k km. I got to be on first name terms with the dealership manager.

lubbing5cherubs
5th March 2007, 08:08 PM
UGH! I bet you did not keep that bike long
Toni

rsser
5th March 2007, 09:24 PM
LOL. Well, 15 months, 37k km and then I laid her down on a sandy bend and she went to the wreckers. By that time I'd started to develop a grudging affection for her. Go figure.

Doughboy
5th March 2007, 10:03 PM
Yes there are lemons out there no doubt. I had a Trumpy 1200 Trophy 1999 model, it was an awesome bike. Chewed the miles and was an absolute pleasure to ride, never missed a beat. ....... then again I had a Honda CX 650 Custom now that was a nightmare! So go figure all makers have a dud I spose.

Pete

RETIRED
6th March 2007, 08:09 AM
Keep it on topic please.

Doughboy
6th March 2007, 08:29 AM
Apologies.

Have you heard from Andy and the team? Ruffly loves hers so I reckon in no time you will be makin' dust with the best of them.

Pete

Jim Carroll
6th March 2007, 05:27 PM
All fixed he should have picked it up on his way home.

lubbing5cherubs
6th March 2007, 06:56 PM
Way cool Jim ... you do a good job:2tsup:
Toni

rsser
6th March 2007, 07:43 PM
Keep it on topic please.

And what was the topic ?

Twinnie
6th March 2007, 09:12 PM
sorry about the off topic that was my fault

but as jim said it's fixed! and it's even on it stand again.

after having a look at just how much thread was missing it's about 30 mm!

but a big thanks to jim and andy and every one who helped. it was realy nice to not have to send away the bed for replacement.

now time for turning!

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
6th March 2007, 09:12 PM
Matt what you doing here get out test her..
Toni

RETIRED
7th March 2007, 08:22 AM
And what was the topic ?Troubles with a lathe.

lubbing5cherubs
9th March 2007, 11:29 AM
Matt, Are you happier with her now?
Toni

Twinnie
9th March 2007, 10:15 PM
oh yes i just finished a nautral edge bowl that was way out of center and it handled it with only a little vibration. the lower speeds and sharp tools were all i needed.

i love it!

it's definatly called friday though because the threader had a day off when it was made and thats when it gets used the most!

Matt

Doughboy
9th March 2007, 10:22 PM
You get the gold for perseverance and Jim gets it for great service. Well done to both of you.

Pete