PDA

View Full Version : Carba-tec Planers

Wood if I Could
18th June 2003, 12:27 AM
Hello

I was lucky enough to locate this site a few weeks ago and since then have quietly followed the exchanges of information and fellowship. This has encouraged me to start participating.

I have also managed to convince she who must be obeyed of the "savings" that the purchase of a planer and thicknesser could deliver. (This does involve some risk - I see a new kitchen looming!!)

Having followed the thread regarding combination planer/thicknessers I have been somewhat concerned with fence quality and bed length. So my thoughts have turned to individual machines - with cast iron fences and longer bed lengths.

Accordingly would like to know the members collective thoughts regarding performance/problems with two Carba-Tec planers (jointers), the 6 inch - CTJ 196 and the 8 inch CTJ - 350 if anyone has used them.

Regards

Wood if I Could

Mick4412
18th June 2003, 07:38 AM
I have the CTJ350. It has a 1943mm bed, which I have found, makes the handling of longer lengths of material easier. I would think that the bigger motor is also an advantage.
The fence is easy to adjust.
mick

Wood if I Could
18th June 2003, 10:45 PM
Mick

Thanks for the information.:D

Sometimes its nice to know you are not trail blazing in purchasing a particular model of equipment.

After speaking again to she who must be obeyed I think I need to use the prime ministers new warning scale and place "New Kitchen" on imminent alert - maybe I should be alarmed!

Thanks and Regards

Wood if I Could

chris_hewett
20th June 2003, 11:00 AM
If you absolutely don't require the extra bed length, the Carba Tec CTJ-196 is on special at the moment for $489. I can't comment on how well this machine works, I don't have one. Talking to the salesperson, he tells me it is made in the same factory as the Delta. The same machine in the US is sold as Delta and Jet and has received good reviews. If you want the extra length, the CTJ-150 is 1410mm, it is $789 at the moment. $300 for extra 242mm bed length...

Wood if I Could
20th June 2003, 10:47 PM
Chris

Thanks for the info. :D

I guess its Hi Ho, Hi Ho off to Carba-tec I go...

Regards

Wood if I Could;)