PDA

View Full Version : support for new thread

jaspr
16th February 2007, 05:40 PM
Hi all

I just wanted to add my support to the new WWW section of the forum.

I wasn't (still not) sure what it will be used for - but if it encourages a few more ladies to sign up, it can't be a bad thing.

I agree with Lignum, though - hope all the substantive threads stay in the main part of the forum. I wouldn't like to see segregation taken to an extreme.

This part will be good to introduce ourselves to each other, etc.

I've been woodworking for a couple of years only - makes me sad to think of all those wasted years doing other things. I'm mainly interested in furniture making, but also dabble in box making. Not into turning (... yet).

I've only just accumulated a (reasonably) full complement of big tools so I can do some real ww (... I'm too lazy too do it all with hand tools). Up until now I've been mostly sharpening my skills on cabinetry and jigs for the workshop - along with the obligatory boxes and chopping boards etc for friends and family.

So hi to all the other www's out there - and welcome aboard!
And thanks to Ruffly for agreeing to moderate!

jas

... looking forward to seeing how this section develops ...

Groggy
16th February 2007, 06:24 PM
And thanks to Ruffly for agreeing to moderate!Yeah, thanks Wendy, hee hee. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
16th February 2007, 08:27 PM
Hi Jaspr,

Welcome!!

I, too, agree with Lignum's suggestion and have started a thread here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=45231) to help this along.

What this thread/area is for? Have a read of this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=45116) and if you still have any questions, give me a hoi! :)

Jigs for workshop? Now that sounds very interesting! :) Do you have a particular favourite jig you use a lot?

Looking forward to seeing you here and around the forums more.

Cheers
Wendy

jaspr
18th February 2007, 08:00 PM
Jigs for workshop? Now that sounds very interesting! :) Do you have a particular favourite jig you use a lot?

Favourite jig? Well, I'd have to say it's probably the one I need at the moment.

What have I made?

- a crosscut sled - I enjoy this one a lot. Not only ensures square panels (that's why I made it) but it also allows cutting pieces too small to pass through the table saw against the rip fence - I like that

- a drill press table with fence and T-track for hold downs - very useful, wouldn't be without it

- jig for trimming edge trim on the router table - simple, but my own design

- a couple of jigs for holding plane and spokeshave blades for grinding as well as the grinding rack for the grinder

- various push sticks for saw and router - when you need one, you need one

- spacer for rip fence on table saw - allows narrow rips - a recent addition

- clamp on fence for using circular saw and router to cut/groove large panels - no-end of improvement - it got rid of my wobbly first attempts

- tenoning jig for table saw

- a couple of fences for the router table

I've also made for the workshop (not in the jig category):

- various drill/bit caddies

- a clamp rack

- offcut storage bin

- panel storage rack

- router table - love it

- a rolling tool storage cart

I love them all!!

What's next?

Well I really have to get on and build my work bench - and a better mitre saw station and some built-in ducting for the dust collector - I'm so sick of dragging it round the shed to plug in where its needed. But while I'm at this last one, I'm going to build a cyclone with an external vent for the dust - gee I hate dust!

... I really must do this ... soon ... but I also want to finish a bandsawn box I've started - and use the wood I recently got from the Lumber Bunker to make some more dovetail boxes - and finish the chopping board I promised my sister for christmas ... and the six or so wood projects I've started around the house - got some hints from LOML yesterday!

where does the time go? there's never enough of it!

jas

RufflyRustic
20th February 2007, 09:34 AM
Hi Jas

Well, here's hoping it never stops! I've currently got so many projects on the go myself :( . Some are waiting for better tools eg a table saw and bandsaw; more knowledge and time on how to do something - e.g sharpening and restoring tools; a sturdy, straight and level workbench that doesn't bounce or move when trying to handcut dovetails and such; waiting for timber to dry or simply for the inspiration/motivation to finish a few darn projects :rolleyes:

Your jigs sound very useful. I've made a couple of jigs, but the most useful would have to be the jig for routing rebates and rabbits, I'm onto my second version.

Cheers
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th February 2007, 09:43 AM
The most useful jig is the Irish one. Comes in really handy when you hit fingers with hammers, drop wood on toes, you know the sort of thing.

(And don't you dare try to tell me you haven't danced a few steps yourself! :D)