PDA

View Full Version : Symtec Cutters

Jim Carroll
17th February 2007, 10:43 AM
I have been talking to one of the local symtec owners and he has told me of a guy on SA that makes replacement cutters.

LLoyd Russell 08 8323 7585 or 0438 673 862

There is also a Symtec users group in Geelong call Rob Wood for more information 03 5248 8842.

DenisB
14th June 2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Jim,

Are the tools for Symtec lathes something special?

I have seen the lathes demo'd at shows, and thought how neat it was to use what looked like a bit of standard tool steel, as used on metalworking lathes.

If that's the case, the steel will be easily (and inexpensively!) available in any State.

A friend of mine in Qld. has a Taig mini-metal lathe, and we made up numerous tools from bits of tool steel I had squirrelled away, and old blunt tungsten-carbide bits we scrounged from our local Tech.

Ian bought himself a green wheel to grind T-C, and we were away. Some bits of square "key steel" (that's just bright, square steel - 1/4 inch in his lathe's case) and a bit of silver solder and we had tools aplenty.

I'd be interested in corresponding with a Symtec user, as I want to build a Symtec-style freehand copier for my little lathe.

Again, at the shows, I was impressed at how Symtec had pared copying down to the bare essentials ... No rails, rods linkages and levers.

Best regards from sunny Tasmania.

DenisB
www.bayviewguesthouse.com