PDA

View Full Version : Help Stuck router collet nut

pjmoran
20th June 2003, 01:01 PM
I am using a brand new GMC 1050W router for the first time, and have jammed the collet nut. Like an idiot I am not sure which way I should be trying to turn it.

Can anyone advise - clockwise or anticlockwise, looked at from above or below?

Peter Moran

Sir Stinkalot
20th June 2003, 01:47 PM
From memory when you are looking directly at the base from under the router turn anticlockwise. I may be wrong however so it may be worth while turning clockwise. Ahh I have just had a good idea, check the indentation on the holding plate that you slide across the spindle to stop it moving, it goes to the oposite to this. Ahh but then again I could be wrong ... I may have to check on mine.

Dont think this helps ... stinky.

No I now think that it is anti clockwise

DaveInOz
20th June 2003, 02:06 PM
It should be 'with' the engine spin, so if the collet jams the engine won't loosen it, but will tighten it.
Don't know which way the engine spins - look at the cutting edge of the router bit - turn the collet the way the blade points to loosen.

I think:rolleyes:
Being at work it is hard to check

Dean
20th June 2003, 02:10 PM
I just checked my little Ozito trimmer and it loosens if you turn it CLOCKWISE when LOOKING FROM ABOVE (i.e. looking from top of router down)

Wood Borer
20th June 2003, 02:37 PM
Peter,

I think everyone is saying it is a conventional thread (right handed)

After receiving strange looks at work as I am holding an imaginary router and undoing the imaginary collett this makes sense.

I am of course wearing imaginary safety glasses and imaginary breathing gear.

- Wood Borer

pjmoran
20th June 2003, 04:08 PM
My compliments and thanks to such a responsive forum.

It is indeed closkwise as looked at from above and in the direction of rotation, and conventional thread.

MInd you it was so stuck that it involved some eyes-closed manouevres with a large G-clamp and a mallet. May never work again :-)

Thanks again

Peter

kenmil
20th June 2003, 05:39 PM
Peter,
If it doesn't work properly as a result of your eyes closed surgery, contact GMC by email and they will be only too happy to help you.

[email protected]

John Saxton
20th June 2003, 09:25 PM
G,day Peter, inverting the router...that is by turning it up side down and looking at the collett you should loosen the nut in an anti clockwise direction based on the knowledge that all routers to my thinking employ a right hand thread.

Simply put and has been suggested look at the a router bit which upside down cuts in a clockwise direction ....therefore to loosen use force on the nut in an anti-clockwise direction.

Check your router bit it may have been chewed up possibly by over-tightening a common practice amongst us all but unnecessary and may need tidying up with some emery cloth to de-burr it ,otherwise it may still cause problems every time you use it.

Cheers:) hth